Railroad Line Forums - ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 154 ]  [ Total: 154 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Crossing Tower
Page: of 5

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  5:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rick!
The roof was Plastruct, brush-painted in aluminum paint. I then dabbled splotches of Testor's rust, looking a lot like the WW2 German SS 'dot pattern' camo, for lack of a better description. As the paint was wet, I then applied weathering powders, for dark rust. It not only had the right color, but gave a texture that clearly wasn't smooth. Once that was a little dry-ish, I streaked the rest of the powders everywhere else. Looking back, I should have left a single panel looking nice, to shot where one had to be replaced recently, but oh well.
A while later, I dabbled some white paint to show bird poop, streaking that down the sides as I've seen in real life.
the siding, I painted in grey/brown, dabbed rubber cement atop that, then sprayed two coats of white primer over that. Tape peeled back some of the white once it dried. It's an old technique but it works well (note the outhouse in the back, which I'd done the same with as the layout was first being built).
the funny part is that I only made a drawing for the front, to get the window/door arrangements right and the angles of the roof (30 degrees, if anyone is curious). The rest, I just eye-balled.
the flooring and wallpaper were pre-printed I bought somewhere I now can't recall. I scanned them to make enough for all four walls and glued them to the inside before the walls were glued together. It all worked out much better than I anticipated. I was going to brag about how little money I'd had in the build, as I had all the plastic on hand, but once I decided to do a full interior, I probably spent over $100 in castings and detail parts for the inside. I'm glad I went to the trouble, as you can look inside the windows and see it, when it's on the layout.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  5:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking gas station, any moon shine sales out back?

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  12:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Great looking gas station, any moon shine sales out back?

By 1943, there wasn't much moonshine to sell. Rationing and men devoted to the military and wartime indistries often kept the stills dry in the Appalachians...

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  10:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great looking builds. Your attention to detail adds a lot of realism to the scenes!

David Guffey

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 10/23/2020 :  12:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A couple more recent shots:

Meanwhile, the Sergeant who normally drives the CO's command car for 'B' Company, 796th ROB has some washing to do!

Someone managed to snap off a shot with their Speed Graphic camera on a August afternoon at Sadie, TN. The shadow from the Texaco "Sheppard's crook" sign post shows up on the TN State Patrol car, though.

Mr. Grindstaff must be discussing "that war across the water" with one of the older men who hang around his store these days...

I haven't done much other than experimenting with photography and recently had Trainmasters TV (an online pay site) ask for video for one of their segments to air sometime this winter.
After shooting all the running and background scenes, I then shot a few extra scenes of my own and I like how they turned out:
https://youtu.be/_qR5oo2NC4c
https://youtu.be/hZTURk9sO-o
My article on Railroad Model Craftsman should run sometime at the start of 2021...

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2020 :  1:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice layout, and pictures, thanks for sharing.

Rich

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2020 :  4:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2020 :  5:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2020 :  5:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Top notch work and videos. Iím looking forward to reading your article in RMC.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/23/2020 5:47:20 PM

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 11/03/2020 :  1:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As always, it's the summer of 1943 at the Hunter, TN depot, and a lovely local gal is waiting for her sweetheart to arrive with a 72-hour pass at Camp Forrest:

The old men are inside arguing about checkers and the war "across the water" at the Grindstaff store near Hurley Hollow, at Sadie, TN

The commuters wait for the 12;15 5o Johnson City at the Buladeen depot:

Another duty day is halfway done at 'Baker' Company, 796th ROB:

And near the Ensor farm, the gap is set correct to keep the cows in their pen. New-fangled flatlander swing gates are unheard of here:

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2020 :  11:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool models and photos. I love the military unit models, too. Good stuff, persist!

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 11/04/2020 :  12:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by friscomike

Very cool models and photos. I love the military unit models, too. Good stuff, persist!

Thanks!
I consider this layout an extension of my interest in WW2 as well as that for the ET&WNC.

I have two Army locomotives, a Baldwin class ten 'trench' 2-6-2T and a Whitcomb 50-tonner

Currently, I'm working with someone who says they can make my Railway Operating unit insignia as the type of pin insignia they made in WW2. If that comes to pass, I'll make them available to the public as I think I'm the only person in the hobby to ever go that far with something like that.

Each time I run trains, I consider it a WW2 re-enactment in O scale. The larger trucks are a Chevy 1 1/2 ton and a Studebaker and GMC 2 1/2 tons. All these are sold only on Europe and Russia, and none were easy (nor cheap) to find, as they're 1/43 scale. Nobody licenses early closed-cab US trucks like this in the US. The Jeeps and Weapons carriers/Command Cars are easy to get, though, in that scale. As for the Jeep, I made my own canvas windshield covers as would be seen in real life. It's a little detail I've never seen anyone else attempt.

I have a 1944 Willys MB Jeep in the garage, as well. Here it is in my back yard:

And me with some of my WW2 display at an airshow in 2016:

Edited by - p51 on 11/04/2020 3:13:05 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2020 :  2:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Youíve combined your interests really well. Excellent modeling. And it looks like a lot of fun.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2020 :  10:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2020 :  10:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great modeling and photography.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Crossing Tower  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000