Railroad Line Forums - ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Crossing Tower
Page: of 5

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  4:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, it's been a long time since I posted here.
My layout's gone through what I call it's "initial completion" for well over a year, took about 2.5 years to get it looking like this. It's had a feature article in the 2017 On30 Annual, online Trackside Model Railroading, will be in the NG/shortline gazette in March and also the 2018 Annual...
Here's a before shot of the first day the sections were bolted into place in the room, and 3 years later to the day:

And a few more:

Edited by - p51 on 02/08/2018 4:57:26 PM

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice modeling.
Vince

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  3:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you here, Lee. I look forward to more!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  07:13:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great layout and I'm happy to see that you've modeled the ET&WNC!

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  07:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice,

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  7:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

Great layout and I'm happy to see that you've modeled the ET&WNC!

Thanks. My parents grew up not far from Elizabethton, TN and were teens when the 3-footer gave up in '51.
I spent a lot of time in my youth in the region as we always went up there once a year.

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  6:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been playing around with different angles for photos and ways to make them look older. I like how these each turned out:

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  1:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My layout is in the March/April issue of the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette...
More random photos with my cell last night, just for the heck of it:

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  5:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice layout and modeling. I enjoyed your article in the Gazette.

Mike

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  6:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, I have been following some of your posts on other sites and always enjoy the NC scenes.

Smokestack Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/14/2018 :  4:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pictures! Now I'll have to look at my M/A issue of Gazette. I haven't looked at the last 3 issues yet. As a matter of fact, they are still in their plastic wrap! I've kind of been sidelined for a while.

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  10:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Nice layout and modeling. I enjoyed your article in the Gazette.

Thanks, Mike! I also have an article in the On30 Annual, which just came out (I a copy yesterday).

The ET&WNC decided to put sheet metal covers over the headlights on their tenders, due to the proximity of the coal load (to keep them from being crushed when the coal bunkers were filled).
It's one of the key features of the WW2-era black paint jobs that Bachmann never addressed with their excellent models in On30.
I had made some out of black styrene sheets, heated and stretched over a brass tube the diameter needed. But the styrene was really too thick and I never liked the look (the first photo shows one atop the coal pile for comparison). Over the weekend, I got some pre-made 1/2" wide brass strips and cut/shaped them over the same tube. They dropped right into place and after some simple paint work, I had covers that looked much better than the previous ones.

Getting the fit right on # 12:

After the paint is done on the same locomotive:

I have three of these locomotives but had plenty of brass left, so I made several and used only the ones that worked out best. This is #11:

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  11:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent modeling and photography.

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  12:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Excellent modeling and photography.

Thanks, Rick!
Not bad for a cell phone huh?

p51
Section Hand

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  10:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit p51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still can't believe it:

Two magazines on hobby shop shelves at the same time with articles I have written; the March/April 2018 Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette and the 2018 On30 Annual!

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  12:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy,

Cool article, congrats! Nice layout, too.

Happy rails,
Mike

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27 Topic Next Topic: Crossing Tower  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000