Railroad Line Forums - Silhouette Cameo 3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Silhouette Cameo 3
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Detour Feed Mill Build Topic Next Topic: City Classics Company Houses  

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  09:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have experience with the Silhouette Cameo 3 that Micro-Mark has on sale?

I'm looking for an entry-level laser cutter for small building tasks. While the reviews at Amazon look favorable, I don't think this is what I'm looking for.

Thoughts?

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  09:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have seen discussion of these cutters mostly on a British forum, for example:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/page-1?hl=cameo

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  05:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would depend on what the majority of your building materials will be.

Bear in mind the Silhouette is not a laser cutter, it uses a fine blade and pressure to do the cutting. I believe these work quite well on very thin stock, like poster board and styrene. From what I've read, it struggles with thicker, harder materials like wood and acetate.

If your primary scratchbuilding material is wood, the LED laser cutters available from China might fit the bill. Same price range as the Cameo, but able to cut up to 1/8" balsa and basswood, and certain types of plywood. They also etch and engrave on wood. If you're feeling a bit more flush, there are some small CO2 laser cutters that will cut much more material, but at this (~$300) price point are a bit fiddly.

Edited by - MarcusF on 01/29/2018 05:48:12 AM

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  08:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks both of you!

There's a link to software in Michael's post that I've downloaded and am going to fiddle with.

Marcus, that's exactly the feedback I was looking for. I plan on using it almost exclusively for wood and this sounds like LED laser cutters are the way to go. I'll aim my research in that direction.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  10:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could check out the Benbox Laser forums.
They were started by a fellow who bought one of the cheap Chinese laser engravers (Eleksmaker etc), and built a community around people playing with them and developing software for them. It's where I started, and keep turning to for help and resources.

quote:
Originally posted by Railrunner130

Thanks both of you!

There's a link to software in Michael's post that I've downloaded and am going to fiddle with.

Marcus, that's exactly the feedback I was looking for. I plan on using it almost exclusively for wood and this sounds like LED laser cutters are the way to go. I'll aim my research in that direction.

SteveCuster
Section Hand

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  9:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a earlier model of this cutter from Michaels on clearance. It was under $100. I haven’t really used it to cut siding but I do use it often for making stencils for structures and fences. It works well for that.

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  9:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
World lowest price/ $598: Desktop Laser cutter & engraver – “FABOOL ...
www.smartdiys.cc/fabool-laser-mini/

Might want to check this out. John

GULF COAST & WESTERN

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  10:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could do that... it's pretty. And maybe a little higher quality than some of the Chinesium stuff, but it's twice the price, and I doubt it's twice the performance.
https://www.banggood.com/2500mW-A3-30x40cm-Desktop-DIY-Violet-Laser-Engraver-Picture-CNC-Printer-Assembling-Kits-p-1003863.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  11:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an example I did with the Banggood cutter I linked to. I'm building some place-holders for structures on my soon-to-be-started layout. I can get foam board cheap from the dollar store.

I traced a structure diagram in a graphics program, scaled it for 1:48, and saved it as a DXF file.

I loaded the drawing into the software I use on my cutter, put the foam board in place, and about 15 minutes later, I had a rough building kit. I had to cut through the bottom paper sheet, as I haven't yet figured out how to get the laser to cut through all 3 layers (paper-foam-paper). But this gives me a placeholder that I can either cover using the painted artist's paper method, or use the templates to cut other materials for actual construction.

Edited by - MarcusF on 02/04/2018 8:02:08 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  12:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marcus, it looks like you're having trouble posting pictures. We all had to climb the posting learning curve. Here are some tutorials that should help. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

Here's a nice video on the Cricut machine made by a model railroader. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iIfrBeHe60&feature=youtu.be

George

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  8:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks George. I tried linking to the files in my Google drive rather than going through all the rigamarole of uploading the images to the forums. I got in the habit of linking to hosted pics years ago when many groups (not just RR-Line) found online storage capacity an issue. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember my account info! I've finally figured out how to login, and I'll be using that in future.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  8:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you were able to post your pictures. I'm interested in following this discussion.

George

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  9:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This EleksMaker® EleksLaser-A3 is a very interesting machine. Why don't you start your own thread about it?

It could be found much easier by the membership that way.

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  10:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl,
I may do that, but the OP suggested the laser cutter was more in line with his needs than the Silhouette, thought I'd just show them what's possible.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  11:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a Cricut cutting machine on ebay and have been playing with it for a couple of weeks. I see a lot of possibilities for model railroading and I've started building a shed using the machine. Here's a link to the build: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50263

George

Previous Topic: Detour Feed Mill Build Topic Next Topic: City Classics Company Houses  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000