Railroad Line Forums - Veritas miniature tools
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: Stationmaster665 ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 WorkShops, Garage, Machines and Tools
 Veritas miniature tools
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Work Areas I Have Known Topic Next Topic: Square Angle Plates  

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2018 :  8:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been buying Veritas tools for my 1:1 scale furniture builds for a long time. Mostly wood planes, chisels, sharpeners and other hand tools.

Recently I found out they also have a line of miniature tools. OK, I thought I'd give a few a try. So I ordered their 'miniature' hand plane, chisels, cabinet scraper and spokeshave. Having used them all in my 1:1, I am familiar with their use, the most used are the hand planes and chisels.

I hadn't had these for a month yet and have used them already in my models, which is what I intended them for. The 1/8" chisel came in handy for cleaning out a small trough in a resin casting from Funaro and Carmerlengo. The 2" long plane came in handy for shaving of a sliver of styrene (or is that resin?) from the sides of the floor for the same kit. It worked a charm.

So that being said, I can also attest to the sharpness of these tools, as I had not even put them to a stone (where some other companies have tools that need sharpening as soon as you buy them), and they performed well right out of the box, which is a beautiful box in it's own right, to keep them clean and free from damage.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2018 :  9:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They look to be high quality and not at all toy-like junk that shows up at the craft stores. Nice review Tony.

Jim

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2018 :  10:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice stuff'.

ted :<)

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  08:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim and Ted, thank you. Yes, Veritas tools, available through their supplier Lee Valley Tools, http://www.leevalley.com/us/home.aspx, are considered the best (Veritas is the manufacturing arm of Lee Valley Tools). I won't buy any other anymore. I have quite a collection of all types of 1:1 woodworking planes, and the Veritas I have were sharp right out of the box. And flat, which is a fault with many others, to within .0005" or less.

I did buy a antique Stanly Bailey No4 off eBay last year that I was very impressed with. The seller obviously took care of his tools, as this was super sharp, and I have used it many times. Most of my wood planes I bought off eBay over the years and love using them all. The moulding planes I have used a few, and I have many more not shown here. For some reason, I love the feel of working the wood rather than using a machine.

Tony Burgess

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  08:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little OCP? Obsessive Compulsive Plane? Nice collection.

Jim

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  09:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every tool I've gotten from Lee Valley was first-rate!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  11:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a youngster, wood shop was my favorite'..
Very nice collection there Tony'..

ted :<)

rlundy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  12:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I have this OCP as well. Here's my collection. These miniature tools are great for any type of wood modeling. I use mine for Model RR, model ship building(this is where they really shine) and RC planes. They work good out of the box, but a final honing really improves the smoothness of the cut. I totally recommend these tools. They work just like their big brothers and can save a ton of time. I recommend the block plane and spoke shave for starters. The chisels come in really handy as well.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  5:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

A little OCP? Obsessive Compulsive Plane? Nice collection.

Jim

Jim, if you only knew

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  6:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, thank you. I have maybe about as many more old long smoothing planes that I don't have out because I don't have the room, nor would I use them much. I had considered putting in another shelf to display them. always loved looking at others collections. Here is one shot I love:

Ron, your collection isn't something to sneeze at either. Nice set. It's always a pleasure to use these and have the wood come out so smooth, and to know you did it without a machine.

Tony Burgess

Previous Topic: Work Areas I Have Known Topic Next Topic: Square Angle Plates  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000