Railroad Line Forums - SRMW- Martin's Machine Co. - Kitbash
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SRMW- Martin's Machine Co. - Kitbash
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fine Art Techniques - Pastels & Inks with Underpai Topic Next Topic: 2018 Take One Down... Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 6

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  9:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be my challange project for 2018. I am going to build the South River Model Works kit, Martin Machine Co.,( from 1993 ), or at least make an attempt! This kit has everything needed to construct a fine diorama, thanks to South River Model Works - Bob Van Gelder, who rently retired from the structure making side of the business. (Good luck on your retirement Bob)

I am scratchbuilding half of the kit, so since my structure build doesn't fall within the bounds of the 2018 "Take One Down and Build One" challange thread, my build will follow here..after an introduction ....

This kit was built by at least a couple of people on the forum, Frank Bernard (Trevor Creek), and Scott Mason. I emailed Frank for a picture of his build, but didn't receive an answer from him. So, I have no clue if he ever finished his build. Although Scott Mason built two of these kits, he showed a few progress pictures, along with final photos, but not an S-B-S build.

Thanks, comments are welcome.

Rich

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  10:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this one, Rich.

SRM produced some of my favourite ever kits. They have always been too expensive to import to NZ (killed by shipping and import tax) so when I finally made it to the USA in 2015 one of these was top of my list. I ended up buying Thorndike mills. Its just a shame I didn't have room for another one!

Cheers, Mark.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  11:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark_dalrymple

Looking forward to this one, Rich.

SRM produced some of my favourite ever kits. They have always been too expensive to import to NZ (killed by shipping and import tax) so when I finally made it to the USA in 2015 one of these was top of my list. I ended up buying Thorndike mills. Its just a shame I didn't have room for another one!

Cheers, Mark.

Thank you for your interest Mark. I would have to agree with you on all accounts. I realize that these kits are now hard to find since Bob has retired and his kits were some of his best work. I have been wanting this kit for two years and finally found one. Not a bad find after being twenty four years old and mint in the box.
Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  11:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Looks like youíre going to have a lot of fun with this one.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  11:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Rich,

Looks like youíre going to have a lot of fun with this one.

Mike

Thanks Michael! A lot of fun? Or a lot of work?
This kit is rather daunting but I will take a stab at it.
To me there's no difference between scratchbuilding or putting a kit together, because either way, you still have to build it, whether you use kit components or find your own.
Thanks for your interest
Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  12:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich nice choice. I'll be following along. SRMW was one of favorite kits when I was doing HO.

I'm sure you will do it full justice.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  01:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to do an internet search to see what the kit was. That is one very interesting-looking building! I look forward to see what you do with it.
Cheers,
Dave

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  07:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Rich nice choice. I'll be following along. SRMW was one of favorite kits when I was doing HO.

I'm sure you will do it full justice.

Thanks Jerry, I will certainly try. It's also reassuring to have knowledgeable friends like yourself on board to steer me in the right direction.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  07:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

I had to do an internet search to see what the kit was. That is one very interesting-looking building! I look forward to see what you do with it.
Cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave, glad to have you along.
I searched the kit myself, a few months ago, and didn't come up with much. I'm surprised you found that easy.
These kits were some of the finest craftsman kits produced and I'm also surprised that there are not that many documented builds. It's a shame.
Rich

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  07:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to following along on this Rich.

It's my favorite SRMW kit.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  07:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave D

Looking forward to following along on this Rich.

It's my favorite SRMW kit.

Thanks for your input Dave, mine too! I wish I would have gotten back into structure building sooner, I would have bought them all. Glad you will be following along.
Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  08:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna' keep an eye on you too!

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  09:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

I'm gonna' keep an eye on you too!

Bernd

Thanks Bernd, I'm watching your builds too. Regardless of what you think you can't do, I know there is a craftsman structure builder hiding in there!

Rich

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  09:17:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice project Rich. I built only one of Bob's creations years ago: Wrisley Papers
Agreed: great kits and excellent instructions.

Hope you don't mind me posting a photo of it.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  09:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Nice project Rich. I built only one of Bob's creations years ago: Wrisley Papers
Agreed: great kits and excellent instructions.

Hope you don't mind me posting a photo of it.

Thanks, Carl. Your build is very impressive. I don't mind you posting it at all. I have seen this model that you did before, probably searched your builds on this forum. You do nice work, as always.

As a side note: If anyone has build Martin's or any of the other SRMW kits, and would like to upload your pictures, post away! You are more than welcome.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  10:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

How about some history of this kit?

Kathy Millatt visited the original Martin Machine Co, prototype structure in 2009, ( now operating as a Book Store ), and has given me permission to upload prototype photos of her visit.

This is the north side of the building, as seen from the road.

This is the north side center of the main building at the entrance.

This is the north side facing the west wing.

This is the north side facing the east wing.

This is facing the east end of the building.

This is facing the west end of the building.

This is facing the south side of the building over the river.

And last picture, this is the southside stone wall at the downstream opening of the turbines, just beneath the last picture.

Thanks Kathy!
Rich

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Fine Art Techniques - Pastels & Inks with Underpai Topic Next Topic: 2018 Take One Down... Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000