Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: wstrouse ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  5:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, is this one dangerous? Very often the more attractive the colour, the worse the animal...

Frederic Testard

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  7:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

According to what Iíve read, unless youíre a garden insect, they are harmless. Theyíre supposed to be a common spider here in the States, but since I avoid spiders, I donít remember ever seeing one before.

George

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  8:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George
Nothing would surprise me these days. Just look what is showing up in south Florida: Anacondas and Pythons that started out as pets (?) and let go in the Everglades. It's now a serious problem.
Peter

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  9:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what youíre saying, Peter, but from what Iíve read, this spider is native.

George

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  11:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Send bitlerisvj an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
This looks like an argiope, an Orb Weaver, also know as a golden garden spider. They get really quite beautiful and don't bother humans at all. I am not sure I would aggravate one, but they do co-exist in a garden nicely. They also make beautiful symmetrical webs with a special vertical area that is easily seen from several yards away. I suspect that is to notify birds and other animals to please stay away since it takes a long time to make one of these webs.
I have had one of these in my backyard for about 15 years now. Mine, I am sure, are the offspring of the original one, Gertrude, since I think they die in the winter and their babies take over the next year. My photos did not turn out very well at all, so I won't post them. But, I noticed that she is now gone, as of last Thursday. I hope our other friend, Henrietta the post lizard didn't eat her.
Regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

George, is this one dangerous? Very often the more attractive the colour, the worse the animal...

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  10:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Like a moth to a flame........

a humming bird in the garage around the flourescents.

The humming bird stayed in the open garage with me for about 30mins often flying around my head so close I could hear the beat of it's wings, just like when a wasp/bee/bug startles you by its buzzing. Several times it was flying so close around me I could feel the breeze from its wings and it touched my hair, it was pretty cool.

I have no idea how Bob, (and others) have gotten such great pictures of this bird, it was a fast little f...umm... flyer...

These were the best two out of about 70 pics that I took, in the end I turned on the video feature for the camera but only got about 20 secs before the battery eventually died.

Karl.A

James VanB
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  11:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit James VanB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a couple of some back yard visitors that don't seem to realize Thanksgiving is this weekend.

James
Lyn, Ontario, Canada
http://lynvalleynorthwestern.blogspot.com/

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  1:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl: Interesting hummingbird action, them being attracted to the fluorescent lights!

How do I do it? Keep in mind their wings are beating around 70 times a second, and of course they also flit around a lot. My shooting was all outdoors in the sun, and using my flash much of the time too as I needed as much light as I could gather while using quite a high shutter speed - 1/1000 and 1/1250 of a second. Also had to boost the sensitivity of the camera to 800 ISO. And since the birds are so small and move around a lot, I could not rely on autofocus, had to shoot manually. Doing this I'd still only get a few good shots every session. Mostly it was focusing that was off, as I'd try to focus on where ther were going to be as they worked their way around the flowers, but many times they were still faster than me. Some shots in good focus were spoiled by the birds' wings covering its head. And of course I was using a long lens - 300mm too. I'd be holding the camera with attached battery grip and shoe mounted flash on top in my right hand, and focusing with my left hand. This got tiring pretty quick because of the weight of the camera in one hand.

But I did persist and got a few keepers:

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  2:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Exquisit shot Bob, and thanks for all the detailed info on 'how you do it'. Much more than I, or my little sony 'point'n'shoot' are capable of. One day I'll get around to reading the manual to see how it works properly, maybe it will have some of the features you mention, although limited.

Thanks again, useful stuff.
Karl.A

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  2:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob
Fantastic image.
Peter

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  09:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, if I were just a little taller!

There's that darn guy with the camera again.

Photos taken Friday from about 35' away (the downstairs door).

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  10:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce
Sure looks like your new neighbors want to hang out for dinner.
Peter

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  10:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, not sure what you're feeding those bears, but they seem to be getting bigger compared to the pictures you posted in previous years.

BTW- Nice weathering you did along the bottom on your shed.

As you think, so will you be.

Edited by - Rick on 10/18/2009 12:32:45 PM

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  12:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Rick... I think he's getting table scraps!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  3:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny, you are closer to the truth than you know. I'm sure that the NJ bear population eats more from garbage cans than from berry bushes or nut/fruit trees.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick

BTW- Nice weathering you did along the bottom on your shed.

Rick, repainting the barn was one of the things on the 'to-do' list that wasn't accomplished this summer. I will need to scrub off the mold with some bleach or something before painting it next year.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000