Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 52 ]  [ Total: 58 ]  [ Newest Member: Patrick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  5:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
Cute little guy.
Peter

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  03:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From Saturday--
Here are some Cormorants along the Raritan River in NJ:

-Dave

-Dave

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  07:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This guy "found me" while I was doing some photos in the mountains of Tennessee last week. Danny

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  11:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not quite as ferocious as the bear, caught this little hummer in a tree in our yard:

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  12:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Danny
Nice photo of a Black bear. Any need to be concerned for safety?
Peter

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  5:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, he stepped out of the wood about 75 feet ahead of me onto a dirt road. I hopped in the car and pulled up next to him... tried to get the shots from the cars, but he was just a bit higher than me. I got out and he acted like he did not care that I was there...just looking for berries I guess... Danny

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  5:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Danny
I'm sure I would have stayed IN the car.
Peter

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  9:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peterpools

Danny
I'm sure I would have stayed IN the car.
Peter

You and me both Peter.... you could have the car in gear incase we needed a quick 'getaway' and I'd have 911 on the speed dial.....

Nice pic though, and great pic of the hummer Bob.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 09/07/2009 9:51:56 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  08:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our most recent visitor.

You might as well make yourself comfortable while licking up birdseed from under the feeders.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  09:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce: That's too close for comfort for me! Squirrels, racoons and the occasional skunk in our backyard I can handle, but have no interest in bears! Do local wildlife departments do anything about the bears? I ask because a mother and cubs have been spotted recently in the subdivision next to ours this week, and in a farther away one before that. Local wildlife officials have bear trap cages they put out, tying to capture the bears and relocate them away from people. They haven't gotten any yet, and they are getting closer!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  09:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

The population has grown to the point that the animal control people don't respond to 'just sightings' any more. If the bear destroys something, he/she is caught, ear tagged, and dropped off deeper in the woods. If that same bear is caught a second time, a tag goes in the other ear. A third catch makes it a nuisance bear and is a candidate for elimination.

The problem with relocation is that there just isn't enough 'wilderness' left in New Jersey to accommodate the current population of bears. There have been no bear hunts for the past four years under the current governor. In that time the bear population has really escalated.

A week or so ago I rented a log splitter and was working in the yard with my son and grandson. We turned the splitter off and were resting for a few minutes when a bear comes along the side of my truck and took a few years off all our lives - including the bears.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  10:18:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce
Nice visitor. Hope he doesn't turn out to be a neighbor.
Peter

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  10:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too many do-gooders despise hunting so this is the result. Hunters do a good job of
keeping all the different animal populations in check.
Soon, the governor will have to hire professionals to come in and cull the bear population.
Your tax dollars at work, when you could have had it done by hunters for free.
You see this most often with deer herds.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  3:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s called a Black and Yellow Garden Spider. We looked it up on the internet. It’s in our back yard. The critter is over 2” from leg tip to leg tip (I didn’t get close enough to get an accurate measurement). Anyone want to come over and kill it?

George

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  3:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George
I'll just enjoy the photograph from a safe distance.
Peter

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000