Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 169 ]  [ Total: 173 ]  [ Newest Member: jmiller320 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  1:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took this one last week on the scaffolding around my house . You have got to be quick to catch these blighters .

NickO

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  8:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
Wonderful image.
Peter
BCT

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  6:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful pictures, all. Although it's not exactly wildlife, I may be able to contribute with a few ones I shot in a very open natural park in Sweden last week.
Bob, nice squirrels. I shot one in the university of Charlottesville, VA, and another in one of Washington avenues 25 years ago, and was amazed to see how easy it was to approach them and take pictures.

Frederic Testard

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  5:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boy, does this say summer to me-- I found this guy just outside my front porch today.

Actually, the 'guy' is gone, this is just an empty exoskeleton. The back has been split open and the adult cicada has flown away. Only the males "sing" to attract a mate.
-Dave

-Dave

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  07:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Updating my recent adventures with a squirrel who doesn't seem to be too afraid of me as long as I have some peanuts for it. I only had about 10 peanuts left from it's raid of my stash in the garage last week, and brought them out in the patio/gazebo while I was shooting a hummingbird in nearby flowers. Put peanuts on the ground and it came closer all the time. Put on on the shelf on the patio table, here it is grabbing it just below where I was sitting:

That was my last peanut but it kept on getting bolder, here on the chair beside me:

And then right up on the table beside me. I took these with my Canon XS10, a zoomlens point and shoot that has a silent shutter, so it did not startle the critter. I had my DSLR around my neck to shoot the hummers. The metal can with the plastic top is where I kept the peanuts:

I'll post some of the hummer photos later - first of the season!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  07:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

dave

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  10:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had some fun yesterday with a new photographer friend / Photoshop teacher. Her family work hard to provide for an unbelievable number of hummingbirds. Danny

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  10:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The previous set of photographs were shot with Nikon D-60, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens.

Image 1: f4.5 1/80 iso400
Image 2: f3.5 1/160 iso400
Image 3: f4.5 1/125 iso200
Image 4: f3.5 1/160 iso200

Danny

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  12:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Danny: Looks like you're having fun shooting the hummers! We really only have one that hangs around our back yard, a female ruby throated version. We see a male once in a while and another unidentified one, but the basic female is very territorial and can be seen chasing others away.

The other day (when I was feeding the squirrel) I was able to get a bunch of shots as the bird came back to the red beebalm flower of my wife. I think I took around 145 photos, kept maybe 50 or so and only some of these are anyway decent. Mostly its blur in the photos, as I'm trying to follow it as it works its way around the flower. I focus manually because autofocus is just too slow with such a small subject, and if I miss the bird it focuses on the background and I have to refocus again.

I used my Canon XSi DSLR with a Canon 75-300mm IS zoom lens, and in some of the shots my Canon 430EX flash set to high speed synch. The flash doesn't recyle fast enough when I'm blasting off a bunch of shots, so many look different. Here are a few:

I was less than 8 feet away from the bird, and had the camera on manual, using mostly 1/1250th shutter speed and f/5.6 and f/8 with an ISO of 800. All of these images have been cropped from the larger originals, and have had work done on them in my Paint Shop Pro XI program, mostly lightening and sharpening. Lots of work, but fun!

Sat in the same location yesterday for about an hour and a half, did not see the bird once!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Mainframer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  1:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice humminbird picture. I have had our feeder out for a week with no one showing up yet. Hope to have some so I can try out my new Nikon D90. I don't have any photo editing software so will just have to make do with the shots I get. Last year we had 9 - 12 little hummers around. Very territorial though. At times it looks like no one gets a drink as they chase each off. Tom

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  4:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great shots Bob! I wish I had been 8 feet away...closer to 15 and only a 200 lens.

I know you guys may not believe this, but I would honestly estimate over 100 hummers.... sounded like a swarm a bees. As soon as I got still, they would come to the back side of the feeders. After about 5 minutes, they were buzzing right by my head. Danny

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  6:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave
Ugly but one nice close up.
Peter
BCT

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  6:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FABULOUS.
Peter
BCT

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  6:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a great day today for a walk through our local nature park. I came across this little fellow.

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  7:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great shots, the hummignbirds are always fascinating creatures. I like the look on the face of the red fox of no fear. Nice work guys!

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000