Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  7:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was visiting a local nature park and spotted this curious fox hanging around, didn't seem to be overly scared or interested in the humans around. Last image probably shows why - one of the visitors threw him a handful of french fries. Imagine he hangs around for handouts.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  10:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is Cartman, our Thriata buck. He is full grown and weighs in at 5lbs 5 oz.

Now we just need to keep Bob's fox away from him.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Jan Kirkwood
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  2:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the fox is cute, BUT Cartman is beautiful

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  3:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob
Not often we seek foxes here on the island but your poor guy looks as if he is having a hard time catching food.
Peter
BCT

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  3:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce
Cartman is a knockout!
Peter
BCT

snarlman
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  08:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Send snarlman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
I like Cartman, and always did like the small furry critters. Good Luck!

~Jeff

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  2:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back with more shots of mama squirrel in our backyard, took these yesterday. She appears to be getting used to me sitting in the shade of the gazebo, as I'll turn around and there she is feeding on the fallen sunflower seeds from the overhead bird feeder. And of course yesterday I threw her several peanuts, some she took away somewhere, others she'd bury under a nearby tree. We're a full service feeding station here, with a birdbath where she grabs a drink:

Afterwards she went on feeding on the sunflower seeds, seemingly reclining and taking it easy:

The squirrel is about 6-7 feet away from me in these photos - not so wild wildlife!

Bob Boudreau

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  6:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob
Cute little bugger. Amazing you were able to get so close.
Peter
BCT

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  10:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tina's new brown lab puppy is active and sleeps a lot. "Sev" is the topic of humour at the cabin and is often caught out oblivious to the folks around him.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  4:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well at least you're letting him sleep it off Chris!! That was nice of you!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Mainframer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  12:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some pictures of elk and mountain sheep I took last week in RMNP in Colorado. The first five were of a small heard we saw on the west side of Trail Ridge going down to Granby.

The next pictures are of a group of young bulls resting just a short way off of Trail Ridge on the east side. These were taken on two days. This is a nice bull, rack still in velvet.

The next four pictures are of mountain sheep we saw on our way down Big Thompson canyon on our way home. They were just playing along side the road. Cars did not bother them at all.

So, all in all a good visit to the rocky mountains again. Still have not seen a moose though they are there on both east and west sides. Thanks for looking, Tom

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  5:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely better then water.
One cute pup.
Peter
BCT

EricUK
New Hire

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  09:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Try decreasing the distance that you throw the nuts and just one at a time. You will be surprised how soon the squirrel will be coming close.
About ten years ago when I was into Garden Rail, there was one that sat on my fence.Over time I decreased the throw from about 15 ft. to the point where I would squat in the kitchen outside doorway and he would take a nut from my fingers with his mouth.
I could stand in the doorway making a clicking sound with my tongue and he would appear and come scampering down the path. He would take a nut and sit about 6 inches from my bent knee, eating it with back towards me(trust) keeping an eye on the garden. If I was a bit slow offering another nut he would stand up with his front paws on my knee. Occasionally I would share a digestive biscuit with him which would disappear very quickly. A couple of times when I had not called him but was just pottering about in the kitchen with the outside door open,
I turned round to see him actually inside sitting on the floor.
Unfortunately,living alone,I have no photos of any of this.

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  10:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EricUK

Bob,

Try decreasing the distance that you throw the nuts and just one at a time. You will be surprised how soon the squirrel will be coming close.

I did startt doing this, but either ran out of time or out of peanuts. Here the squirrel is taking a peanut right beside me, that's my shoe on the lower left:

Later that day I left for an hour or so, forgot to close the overhead garage door when I left. When I returned I saw the squirrel coming out of the garage with a peanut in its mouth. When I checked my peanut "stash", it had found it and hauled away most of them! The peanuts were in a metal can with fitted plastic cover, it chewed a hole in the cover to get a grip and took it off. Peanut shells on the workbench and floor, most of them gone.

So I've been taking it easy feeding the squirrel since, know they can be quite destructive inside dwellings. Now that it knows where I keep the peanuts, I assume it will be back looking for more.

Fun while it lasted!

Bob Boudreau

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  05:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This old boy and a couple of his friends were hanging out near the road yesterday, taking off as I stopped and fired up the camera.

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000