Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 67 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: prrfan59 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  5:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love the Swan photos
Peter
BCT

littledave
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  11:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my spare time ,I’m an avid kayaker . Living in Florida gives me access all sorts of swamps , river drainage , Atlantic ocean , gulf of Mexico , but by far the spring fed rivers are the most beautiful . Along with this goes wild life of every description . (yes ,including alligators ,up close ,trying not to make it personal ) . I didn’t use to carry a camera ,enjoying the commune with nature to much to fiddle with a camera , but I got a digital so here are some pictures

These are manatees for people who aren't familiar with them .

This was the biggest owl that I have ever seen.

Edited by - littledave on 06/19/2009 11:51:37 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  12:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superb photos, Dave. Additionnally, I learned how to say "lamantin" in English (manatee) and that these animals live in tropical areas, while I had always thought they lived in cold seas...

Frederic Testard

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  2:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave
Simply Beautiful!
Peter
BCT

littledave
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  10:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Frederic and Peter ,the manatees are endanger species . The biggest danger comes from boat props and are identified by different prop scare patterns on each one . They are the most unbelievably docile creature that you could ever imagine .

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  09:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love those manatee shots, Dave.

We've been having regular visits from two black bears of late. One is that mid-sized bear that I pictured on the previous page. The other is this small two-year old.

See one or the other in the yard a couple of times a week.

Then yesterday, we had four new visitors.

This mom and her triplets were up in an Ironwood tree. I guess mom thought that the birdhouse made out of a gourd was food. Too bad it was a foggy, rainy day.

Anyway, we had a great view, since the tree hangs over the roof by our dining room, and these bears were often less than two feet away - on the other side of the glass. Since the tree hangs over the house, I was afraid that one of the cubs would drop to the roof, and then we would have had an 'interesting' situation.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  11:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, nice pictures.

Bruce, it's funny seeing all those bears in your tree. Not something you see every day.

As you think, so will you be.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  12:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive visit, Bruce. The ones I saw recently were sleeping peacefully but these ones seem perfectly awaken. The lady at the zoo told us the black bears were the less dangerous bears. Is there any risk having these ones in the neighboorhood?

Frederic Testard

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  2:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Even tho I live in dense suburbs, it's FAWN SEASON IN NEW JERSEY!
-Dave

-Dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  4:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A neighbor caught this, the fawn was born the day before. Now they're cute, if they'd STAY OUT OF MY YARD AND LEAVE MY LANDSCAPING ALONE!

We have -way- too many in the area. They have no natural predators, and about the only thing that keeps the population in check are auto strikes.

dave

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  4:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce
Great pics of your visitors. Is there any reason for concern for safety?
Peter
BCT

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  5:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any bear with cubs is concern for safety.
Mothers will do anything to protect her young cubs.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  5:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

Any bear with cubs is concern for safety.
Mothers will do anything to protect her young cubs.

Dave has hit the nail on the head. The problem is that the bears are multiplying beyond the ability of the 'woods' to accommodate them in NJ. They are around day and night, and they move so silently that you look up and they are right there! Since I don't have little kids, I'm not too concerned, but if we still had young kids, I'd be having a fit. There is really only one good solution - reduce the bear population to the point where they can live in what is left of the woods in northern NJ. I don't see that happening in the near future. I see some humans becoming 'statistics' in the near future.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  5:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I live in a very "urban" neighborhood of Pittsburgh and I don't see much wild life, if you don't count feral cats and hookers. (One of my woodworking students is a hockey player - maybe he counts, too.)

But today Tom (student) heard what sounded like mourning doves in the back room of the shop, where we have a big venilator fan. He went outside to look and found Momma Raccoon and Baby Raccoon up close to the ceiling of the open-front space that Garth uses as a spray booth. They were perched on top of the big old door that leads from the actual slaughterhouse into the chiller room (which we now use for our dust collector, etc.)

I grabbed a quick picture - and luckily my camera decided to focus:

If you look to the right of Mom, you can see a second pair of ears.

We left them alone and apparently they found their way down and away. I hope they don't return - raccoons in the artists' studios or the shop would not be good. But their visit added interest to the afternoon.

Don

Edited by - AVRR-PA on 06/21/2009 5:43:10 PM

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  5:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce
The ever expanding population not just here but in the world in general is pushing more and more animals out of their natural habitat, searching for food and survival. I'm not a hunter but understand all too well the reason for deer season here on the Island and in New York State. Deers are one thing but bears being so close to your home and family....
Peter
BCT

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.97 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000