Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 189 ]  [ Total: 198 ]  [ Newest Member: Rossyuk ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  6:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple of visitors I had the other day.

They just love bird the seed.

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  9:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gerry: Nice shot of the deer! Probably the pond in your front yard attracted them too! :)

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  9:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gerry
wonderful image.
Peter
BCT

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  7:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally dug out some color prints from August of 1988 today, and scanned a bunch of them. These are of right whales that I photographed at the entrance to the Bay of Fundy from a Canadian Coast Guard helicopter.

At the time I'd been with the Coast Guard for 22 years and had not seen any whales in all of my travels over area waters. It was especially frustrating for me, as I was always the "guy with the camera" and had never been able to take photos of the whales. Quite regularly the helicopter pilot or one of the other staff would tell me that I should have been with them on their recent flight because they had seen a whale or two. Quite frustrating!

On this day we went to Gannet Rock Light, which is about 8 miles offshore from Grand Manan Island. This is just below the coast of Maine. I can't recall the reason for the trip, but the helicopter engineer came along for the ride, probably because it was a really nice day. He of course took the left hand seat in front where I'd normally be, and I was in the back seat.

After leaving the lightstation, the pilot spotted a school of whales feeding on schools of herring. They were everywhere! Since our work was finished and we were heading home, we had plenty of time (and fuel!) to zip around and watch them for about a half an hour. Being in the back seat was great for me on this day, as I could slide back the door and shoot out without anything in the way. Can't do this in the front seat of the MBB BO-105-CBS, as that door swings open.

I was also fortunate to have a CG video camera with me. So I was kept pretty busy shooting both stills and video as we moved from here to there, often hovering above the whales as they skimmed along the surface. Here are a few of the photos I took that fortunate day:

And to think I got paid to do this!

Bob Boudreau

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  8:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob beautiful shots of the whales!

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  8:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob
Thanks for posting those amazing images. Truly breathtaking.
Peter
BCT

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  10:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice shots Bob. Truly a great day at sea.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Bowser
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  11:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three shots of the Ganet Colony on Bonaventure Island in the Gaspé.

Bob Hobbs
Ottawa, ON Canada
CPR Southern Mainline
GN DIvision 7 in the 60's

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  05:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob
Mother Nature at her Grandest. Beautiful photos.
Peter
BCT

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  06:08:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy Makerel! That's the most birds I've seen in one place! Imagine you'd have to really watch where you step! (the birds and their doo-doo!)

Bob Boudreau

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  09:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is quite the colony.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

shadetreekid
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  10:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,That's quite a dinner call!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don in Ottawa

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  10:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
File upload test - second attempt.....

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  11:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I was shooting the whales in my previous post, there were also quite a few dolphins around, I assume they follow the whales when they are feeding, taking advantage of the spoils. It was neat seeing them zipping along, jumping out of the water as if they were playing. And it did seem they were looking up at us too! Here are a few shots:

Bob Boudreau

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  06:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Out for a walk along a harbor side path in our city, I spotted this gull sitting on a piece of ice. Ice is breaking up in the river above the harbor, and is flowing out to sea. The harbor does not freeze due to the extreme tides we have here (up to 28' difference).

Bob Boudreau

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.93 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000