Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 49 ]  [ Total: 57 ]  [ Newest Member: BKey ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  6:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We shot this guy tonight, sitting above one of our shutters. The picture is not great, I was a little far and had to use the flash. It is still there...

Dave D
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  08:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave D's Homepage  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This handsome devil was kind enough to pose for me during or last snowstorm.

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  09:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice shot of the cardinal! We've had several visiting our backyard, both males like this one, and females, but I'm having a hard time getting any good shots. Either they flit around too much or it's dark and gloomy outside. Keep on trying I guess!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Edited by - railphotog on 12/14/2008 10:25:25 AM

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  09:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic
Wonderful image ... the expression is terrific.
Peter
BCT

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  10:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very ice shots of the birds. We have cardinals here in Ottawa. But as Bob says you really have to be patient to capture a good image.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  10:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since my reply above, I downloaded some shots I took Saturday afternoon, had this one of a female Northern Cardinal. Would be nicer if it was a male though!

Camera: Canon Powershot SX10, 1/320 sec. @ f/5.7, ISO 400. Cropped, brightness adjusted, digital camera noise reduction filter used, unsharp mask, in Paint Shop Pro XI.

Bob Boudreau

Edited by - railphotog on 12/14/2008 10:40:43 AM

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  10:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice shot Bob. The Canon Powershot did a great job.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  1:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's another (or the same one) female Cardinal in our back yard, but coniditions are quite a bit different. It's been snowing steadily here for about 6 hours. Supposed to taper off and change to rain later today, looks like fun! Just glad I don't have to go anywhere.

Bob Boudreau

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  8:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Blue Jays love my bird feeder, especially this time of year.

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  8:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob and Gerry
Nice photos of your 'visitors'.
Peter
BCT

Jim T
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  10:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great bird pictures, guys. I was going to build a bird feeder this winter, but now am thinking about buying one in the meantime.

I curious as to what magnification was used for these shots?

Jim

Edited by - Jim T on 12/19/2008 10:43:11 PM

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  06:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim T

Great bird pictures, guys. I was going to build a bird feeder this winter, but now am thinking about buying one in the meantime.

I curious as to what magnification was used for these shots?

Jim

My images are cropped from the originals, making them seem to be at a higher magnification. This is the full frame image of the female cardinal in the snow:

This was taken with my 10MP Canon Powershot XS10, at its maximum zoom of 560mm (35mm film camera equivalent).

Here is a cropped shot of a blue jay with my 12.2 MP Canon XSi DSLR:

Here is the uncropped image, what the camera and my Canon 70-300mm IS lens actually captured:

The zoom lens at 300mm equals 480mm on the DSLR sensor, so the magnification is almost 10 times. Cropping gets in even closer. One of the benefits of having higher megapixel cameras is that you can crop and still have a fair amount of image left for a decent photo. All my images are also run through the "unsharp mask" filter in my Paint Shop Pro XI program, which helps the sharpness when images are cropped.

Don't know if this helps or adds to the confusion!

Bob Boudreau

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  06:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob
Nice mini tutorial and yes, it helps.
Peter
BCT

Jim T
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  11:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Peter. Great mini-tutorial, Bob. Thanks.

Jim

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  6:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a visitor today in my back yard. She looks well and healthy.

No cropping here!!!

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000