Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  8:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Timothy Toad
The Begonia Basket
Pony Club Court
Reston, VA

When it's hot, he burrows deep into the basket, and comes out when it cools off (and the skeeters are flying...)

dave

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  10:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a stately animal.

I took this shot at a local zoo today.

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  4:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great shot Gerry! "show me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a pretty messy place!" :)

Nothing quite as exotic for me yesterday, spent some time in the backyard trying to take photos of hummingbirds. As it often happens, there was one who thought the wife's flowers were is own personal lunch basket, and spent much of the time fending off another bird looking for a bite. Conditions weren't the best, with overcast skies and in the shade of a cedar hedge and above the hedge with bright grey sky backgrounds. And the hummer was flitting between these areas and all over the place too. I tried manual focus then autofocus, had mixed results with both. The birds are so teeney that if the camera focusing point isn't right on them, it wants to focus on the background!

Following are three of the better shots, highly cropped. Even with my 75-300mm zoom, they were fairly small in the images. That's when more megapixels come in handy. Most were shot at ISO 1600 and with a shoe mounted camera flash and 1/1250th shutter speed:

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Edited by - railphotog on 07/23/2008 4:24:54 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  5:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures, Bob. These little birds go so fast that even having them in the picture is an achievement. Yours are really good despite the high ISO.

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  5:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of photographing wild life in ones back yard! We had a visitor the other morning that had a sweet tooth for bird seed.

I took these through our basement window.

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  5:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful, Gerry!

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  7:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have deer in our yard constantly, and they've done hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in damage. I'd love to shoot them, but not with a camera! They're so tame I can practically jump on one and choke it, even after I've taken to 'plinking' them with a BB gun to stop them from bedding down in the back yard.

There are no natural predators in our suburban ecosystem and no man-made predators (except for cars, and we hit a deer once with several thousand dollars worth of damage.) The problem is the refusal by the county to take any steps to control the population. And of course they carry ticks and my wife got a possible dose of Lyme Disease a couple of weeks ago; she's been on antibiotics ever since.

dave

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  8:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

We have deer in our yard constantly, and they've done hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in damage. I'd love to shoot them, but not with a camera! They're so tame I can practically jump on one and choke it, even after I've taken to 'plinking' them with a BB gun to stop them from bedding down in the back yard.

There are no natural predators in our suburban ecosystem and no man-made predators (except for cars, and we hit a deer once with several thousand dollars worth of damage.) The problem is the refusal by the county to take any steps to control the population. And of course they carry ticks and my wife got a possible dose of Lyme Disease a couple of weeks ago; she's been on antibiotics ever since.

dave

Dave,
That pretty well sums up our situation here as well. We use to have woods all around us but every time someone builds a home they cut all the trees down, so the deer keep loosing their habitant! So who do you blame??? The deer or the settlers? Kind of has afamiliar historic ring to it.
Gerry (tree hugger & deer lover)

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  7:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bob, those are some great shots of the humming birds, I have quite a few that visit my 5+ feet high Zinnias and then do a 'pub crawl' around the rest of my flower beds, I'll try and take some shots.

I decided to take a break, so I went out to the pond I am currrently working on refurbing to have a beer while I fed the fish and watched them eat, most relaxing. However I had a visitor, while not as impressive as Bruces bears or Gerry's doe, for an English guy seeing a snake is pretty unnerving (we dont have them in the UK)

I guess this is what it is like if you have a swimming pool and some 'semi-friends' turn up , so I'm calling this post "The Pool Party Guest"

It came, it drank, it swam, it left.....

I'm pretty sure its just a Ribbon Snake, but hey, the only thing I'm used to seeing wriggling in the yard is an earthworm. It was about 30" long.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/02/2008 7:36:28 PM

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  1:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice little dipper

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  3:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure how "wild" a Northern Cardinal is, but I was happy to catch this one this afternoon. I was sitting in my usual place in our backyard gazebo, waiting for the hummingbirds to appear when this fellow showed up. I've captured one or two in the past, but they are pretty nervous and don't stick around much. My wife keeps telling me of seeing one out back, but up until now it never happened when I was around with my camera. Gotcha!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  4:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gerry ...
Nice pic of a Deer 'in Action'. And that's my type of action.
Bob ...Wonderful images.
Karl I'm with you wen it comes to snake .. How far were you away from the your swimmer?
Peter

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  6:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This guy has been sitting on our maple tree all day.

Karl, that looks like a Garter Snake.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Edited by - Dutchman on 08/03/2008 7:02:43 PM

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  8:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We returned from our Idaho wilderness trip, just recently. I caught the bald eagle's nest and mama protecting it nearby.

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  10:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little spotted visitor to the bean field;

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000