Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 64 ]  [ Total: 67 ]  [ Newest Member: nevadablue ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

Dave D
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  07:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave D's Homepage  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love the Goldfinches Mike ..nice shots!

Those little guys keep me busy through the year too.

we have 6 of the large thistle socks hanging in the yard and they will empty them in 2 days...they go through a 50# bag every 2 weeks!

It is my duty to fill those and the other feeders in the winter when I have to break trail through the snow to reach them...the wife takes over when the weather is more to her liking.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  10:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys.

Yeah, Dave, I know all about that "keeping the feeders filled" routine. I know about it because I'm the only one who does it. My wife enjoys watching the birds but not the labor that goes with it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  11:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The goats are now safely back home after the recent floods here in NJ.
They live in Johnson Park on the banks of the Raritan River, and had to be moved. A couple of weeks ago this spot was under at least ten feet of water!

-Dave

-Dave

Edited by - Thorn Creek and Western on 05/05/2007 11:38:40 PM

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  02:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, . .Beautiful birds and beautiful pictures, . .Thanks for sharing them.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

. . .the finches have returned to their bright yellow summer colors. . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  9:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In addition to the finch feeders, I have 3 hummingbird feeders out. We normally have 4 or 5 hummers fighting over them all day during the spring and summer months, but this past weekend we had anywhere from a half dozen to as many as perhaps 2 dozen of the little birds darting about and dancing in the air. Needless to say, I had to get my camera out for the event. Some of the photos were taken late Saturday afternoon and some late Sunday afternoon and early evening.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  10:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Those hummingbird shots are outstanding.

Last week, we took the grandkids to a drive thru wild game park in Sequim, WA. They had one of the largest collections of Grizzles that I have ever seen. When this brute stood up to scratch his head right next to the car, that fence did not seem quite enough, even with the electric wires.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

sparkman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  11:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Your photos remind of the time I was doing some yard work for my parents.
I was by one of the feeders & got buzzed several times by a very territorial male. A little unnerving in that when they are that close, those beaks begin to look very dangerous.
Thanks again for the shots.
-david j

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  11:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys.

Bruce, I can promise you that the fence would not be high enough for me. That ol' boy looks like he could just bend over and do a "slinky" right over the fence and be on his way.

David, I get buzzed by them all the time when I'm sitting on my patio. I've gotten used to it, though. I think it might be my bright red KC Chiefs ballcap that does it.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  02:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Boy Bruce, those little wires better pack a wallop. I would not want to be living next to them, as that fence looks like not much of a barrier.

Great photos Mike C. Julie and I both love watching hummingbirds as well. We seem to have 2-4 around from spring to late summer.

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  06:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great hummingbird photos! They've been a favorite of mine and a challenge to photograph the past few years since we've been putting out feeders. We only see one or two around our place, so capturing them requires a lot of waiting and luck. We're putting out our feeders today. Here's one I got two years ago, shot from our opened kitchen window:

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Edited by - railphotog on 05/08/2007 06:17:36 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  06:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, what a wonderful shot.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  06:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although we have quite a lot of beautiful birds in the surroundings, I never managed to have my camera when I saw them. So I thought I could show instead the following shot taken on our terrace.

That's it : frogs post frogs...

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  09:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, that's one of the best hummingbird shots I've ever seen! Outstanding!

When I took the ones I posted last evening, I had been sitting in a patio chair. One of the feeders is about 15 feet from where I was sitting. The other one (with the flag behind it) is about 30 feet away and halfway down a hillside. I should get a window feeder for some decent closeups of the little guys.

Frederic, good shot of the frog. But I'm sure glad you posted that last sentence and not "one of us."

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  5:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two simply wonderful images.
Peter

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  05:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There have been some lovely wildlife photos posted recently.

We have just had a new kitchen installed and when we turned on the exhaust vent above the oven a little redback spider popped out of it. They are related to black widow spiders I believe and are rather venomous, so before despatching it I took this photo as I have never seen one before.

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000