Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 47 ]  [ Total: 50 ]  [ Newest Member: BKey ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  8:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a nice environment for them Don.

I've just had a little adventure. It's Springtime here and our office overlooks the Plenty River. I noticed a duckling had got caught up in a branch and was hanging upside down unable to free itself. The parent ducks and its siblings were hanging around and unable to assist as it was out of their reach. I decided to interfere in the laws of nature and went down to free it. Yes, I almost went in when another branch snapped but all went well and the duckling was reunited with its family and paddled off upstream.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  10:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job, Barry. Nothing wrong with interfering with the laws of nature -- they need adjusting now and then.

Don

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  05:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AVRR-PA

Nice job, Barry. Nothing wrong with interfering with the laws of nature -- they need adjusting now and then.

Don

The "laws of nature" were instituted by a monarchy. We democratic citizens have every right to disagree with them.
-Dave

-Dave

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  05:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  5:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every year just before the lake freezes over we have a fish die-off. The gizzard shad, which is a warm water fish and a major food base for walleye, can't tolerate rapid water temp changes. Usually you'll see the gulls plucking them out of the water before they head south.

Well, this year we had a huge die-off. Had a big snow which helped to cool the lake rapidly. This is what it looked like...

Some of those are up to 14" long.

Along with the gulls, we have had a few bald eagles and redtails feeding as well.

You can see the gulls dining in the back ground.

In memory of Mike Chambers

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  5:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We usually have a die-off also, Ken, but nothing like what's in your photos.

It looks like winter has set in for good up where you are.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  7:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've had 40's and 50's up here Mike along with rain. 30's by next week.

How I long for the old days...

In memory of Mike Chambers

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  8:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marken

How I long for the old days...

Which would be......???

The weather is nothing like it should be for this time of year around here. In fact, it's shaping up just like last winter: one big snowfall early in December and then nothing else except above-average temperatures the rest of the winter.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  9:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only die off I have ever seen is what my wife does to me when I spend more time on the layout than with her!
Speaking of icy blasts!

Disclaimer: Actually, she is VERY tolerant. (Spoken in the interest of self-preservation!)

John Kanakos
CNJWS II, Custom Models- Design & Build
http://www.junctionwestsub.ca
NMRA #055691 CARM # 212

Edited by - railmus on 12/15/2006 9:30:17 PM

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  06:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Risking life and limb, I captured this shot of wild dogs fighting in their natural habitat. I know, I must have been crazy to risk such a shot; but what the heck, I felt adventurous. I donít know the outcome of this terrible fight; as I ran away after capturing this dramatic shot. Hope you all appreciate the perils that I went through to get this horrendous picture

John

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  05:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its summertime here in Australia and I was mowing the lawn at our office this afternoon when I noticed some shed snake skin in the grass I had just cut. On closer inspection it appeared to be that of a brown snake or, as no doubt you more likely know it by its Latin name, a "Pseudonaja textilis". I took a quick look around me in case I have an upset creature thinking of revenge. Assured I am free of immediate danger I think back to what I had previously read about this little native when we last saw him basking in the sun last summer: "The Eastern Brown Snake is one of Australia's most dangerous reptiles. It is a fast, fierce snake. This snake is easily angered." Hmmm, perhaps I shouldn't go looking for it then, nor should I insult it.

Snakes shed their skin between one and four times a year, this one was a good three feet long. The one we saw last year was about five feet long so I'm thinking this is little junior who has just got a little bigger.

I haven't cut what passes for grass in our lawns during this southern drought for some time so the snake skin could actually have been there for some weeks. We are always concious here in Australia of the possibilty of snakes but it did give me pause for thought today.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  06:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gives me the willies just thinking about it... I HATE snakes. They creep me out. Yeck!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Don Brimmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  11:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed, you were fortunate to escape with you life. When we lived in Florida, we encountered many snakes and bugs, but here in Maine we have only had a black bear in a tree behind town hall and an occasional coyote meander down the street heading back to the park.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  4:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don, I don't think I was in any serious danger at that tme. The mower vibrating and the noise would have scared it away. It's more the fact it was so close to the building in the recent past without us seeing it that made me think we need to be alert.

Bosco5
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  4:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While not as exciting as deadly snakes, we had some good news on the wildlife front - Franklin & Elanore returned the other day. F&E are a pair of mute swans that live in our bay for most of the year. While nice to look at, they can pretty aggressive if you get to close!

We've also got a larger than usual flock of canadian geese - they are hard to see in the picture but there are 4 or 5 hundred of 'em.

Have a great day

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000