Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: jmiller320 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  10:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, looking at the surface area of those wings - and the size of that fuselage . . .

I'd hate to stub my toe on one of those.

-slim

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  2:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the summertime, when the ground is hot and rock-hard dry, these monsters come crawling out of the deep cracks in the earth to change their shape and appearance.... and drive everyone crazy all afternoon with their incessant buzzing and droning chirp.

One of about two dozen shells on just one of my maple trees today.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  3:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I have so many dead carcuses of those dany casadias hanging from my trees I could harvest them and sell for ground filler. It seems to be continuous all Summer long. Late afternoon it's so bad you really don't want to be outside from the noise they make. And this is a light year, last year was the big one. The holes they leave coming out of the ground look like snake holes they are so big.

Walt

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  3:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

There are hundreds, nay thousands of those buggers around this house in the surrounding trees. The eerie noise they set going, ensemble, is like the highest powered electric transmission line imaginable. There must be some way to harness this energy for our power needs.

I'm daily finding dozens of their empty carcasses around the yard. It's like departed ghosts. I believe they are cicadas which are supposed to be on a seven year cycle, but I encounter them on a much more regular basis, like every year.

One thing I've been missing for a few years are crickets. Those tranquiliquists used to drive me nuts, but now that they've disappeared, I miss them.

That golden head fly-thing on Bruce's cucumber is not a Japanese beetle. I've frequently seen some of them around fresh animal dung in these parts. That Golden head is really something.

Stevie O'

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  3:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We only have a few cicadas this far north. I sort of like their screeching

Noticed this laying out on the grass the other day...

Fortunately, we were at the zoo

In memory of Mike Chambers

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  6:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike: That is a National Geographic quality photo, in my opinion. Excellent photography!

Ken: I almost bought into that one until I read the post-photo text!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Dave D
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  09:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave D's Homepage  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Twins stopped by for lunch last week.

Check out the little red bandit in the bird feeder.

Edited by - Dave D on 08/28/2006 09:17:22 AM

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  09:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two very nice photos Dave. With those big ears I'd suspect they are mule deer. Though it appears they have white tails like all of the eastern deer. With all that grass available they must visit the area often.

You must have exercised great stealth to get those shots.

Stevie O'

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  09:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great shots, Dave. I'm betting those are whitetail deer. Muleys are usually darker and larger, and, as the name implies, their ears are much larger. Looks like your running the neighborhood diner there!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  09:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave, Great pics of the fawns. As far as the squirrels go, they are a pain and very clever as well.Love the GB area.Packer fan since 1944.
The wildlife up there is wonderful. The following shots are from the house next door just before summer residence came down.Their den was under their house

Download Attachment: fox99.jpg
114.04 KB

Download Attachment: fox107.jpg
113.63 KB

Download Attachment: fox108.jpg
116.11 KB

Download Attachment: fox116.jpg
113.56 KB

Download Attachment: fox128.jpg
110.87 KB

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  12:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice shots of those foxes, Bill. If you don't have a henhouse, what's not to love about having them for neighbors. Seem to have good family values.

Stevie O'

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  12:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by essodee

Nice shots of those foxes, Bill. If you don't have a henhouse, what's not to love about having them for neighbors. Seem to have good family values.

Stevie O'

Hate to say it Stevie, but some neighbors cats were missing.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  12:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice shots, Bill. We don't get to see many foxes around these parts. They are shy, elusive characters.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  3:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't you just love to see symmetry in nature? It looks like some repair work was needed on the web.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dave D
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  3:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave D's Homepage  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

quote:
You must have exercised great stealth to get those shots.

Stevie O'

Yeah I had to make sure I did not trip on the dining room set...this was taken out the dining room window. lol

quote:
Great shots, Dave. I'm betting those are whitetail deer. Muleys are usually darker and larger, and, as the name implies, their ears are much larger. Looks like your running the neighborhood diner there! Cigarguy

Right you are..whitetails.

As far as running the diner...you have no idea!!

Between sunflower seed....scratch grains.. thistle and wild bird food.....well...good thing the wife works too!!!

Bill...Love those Fox & Kit pictures

Edited by - Dave D on 09/06/2006 3:18:50 PM

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000