Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 71 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  7:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MP Rich

Since This subject doesn't seem too closely related to Railroading, I have a question that I have been dying to ask. This group seems to be the only way for me to reach a friendly group all across the country and the world. Has anybody else noticed the sudden decrease in the number of seed eating birds? In the middle of the US the decrease in the number of sparrows and starlings has been dramatic. The local grain dealer where I buy niger and sunflower seed, pointed it out to me. He now keeps a rooster to clean up the spilled grain. They tell us the insecticide put in grain doesn't come through the food chain to us but something is killing the birds that eat grain. What's in your breakfast cereal? Got any thoughts pro or con on the idea? Richard

Richard,

I have a 9 feeders hanging from tree limbs around my yard here at the Lake. 3 of those are strictly finch feeders and are filled with Niger seed. The rest are filled with black oil sunflower seed. I use picture hanger wire to suspend them several feet from the ground and away from tree trunks so the squirrels and coons can't get to them.

I mention all that only because your question makes me wonder about something I had noticed since around the first of November. While my finch feeders are constantly loaded with finches, and I frequently have to refill the sunflower feeders, I haven't seen a cardinal or bluejay around here since late October. And I don't see the flocks of sparrows I used to see, either. There are plenty of nuthatches and some other variety eating the sunflower seed, but no cardinals or bluejays. And that's very unusual. I used to see at least 3 or 4 pairs of cardinals early in the morning and late in the afternoon on the feeders or under them. I wonder what happened to them?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  03:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening Richard and Mike,

I've been following your thread on the birds since we have a number of feeders and we supplement their winter diets. With the exception of the Cardinals, most of the birds that you have mentioned show up here. We have one feeder dedicated to the Black-capped Chickadees, one dedicated to the Pine Siskins and Finches, and one for all the birds that like suet including swarms of Bushtits, Northern Flickers, Nuthatches, Downy and Pileated Woodpeckers, and Scrub Jays. We have a few Stellers who seldom, if ever, show up. At times the Starlings seem to push all the others away. This last year(2003), we had problems with a large Crow population. Seems like the Scrubs, the Starlings, the Crows and the Squirrels are the real hogs. Oh yes, our chimney has been the home for a Swift family for the past two years. We really need to put a cap on it.

As I indicated earlier, the bird populations here seem to be unchanged. I know for a fact that baited food (corn)was put out near several bridges here in the Portland area to reduce the population of Pigeons dwelling in the cross-members of structures and whose excrement poses a threat (illness) to public safety. Of course railroad grain cars do not help the matter. We do have some protective programs going as well, especially for our Periguin Falcons who reside and nest on tall buildings and bridges. As you have stated, global warming may be causing some changes in migration and population of our birds. Its getting late and I need to sign off.

Allen

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  12:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only indication I have noticed in the bird population is the change in the migration of ducks and geese in my area. I'm in the central flyway for migrating ducks and geese. The sequence in the past has been teal in August and September, pintails in late October, mallards in December and canvasbacks in late December, early January. The pond behind my house is just now in the middle of the pintail migration. I'll have to agree with Allen that a warming trend has upset their pattern.

Jim

louis and Sabrina
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  01:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Thanks Rich
I will give that a try since I seem to be feeding nothing but starlings most of the time.

John, if you enjoy a large variety of birds, you should move to Girdwood! My parents had a feeder and we got all kinds, including hummingbirds. Of course the domineering diners tended to be red squirrels, camprobbers, stellers jays, magpies and chickadees. I can't name the myraid of other species that showed up, but I'm sure my mother and most likely, your daughter could....now if a guy could just figure out a way to run birdseed from his house out to the feeder on a G-scale railroad...Louis

Edited by - louis and Sabrina on 01/03/2004 01:59:09 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  10:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Richard,

The cardinals have never migrated from here before. They normally stay around here all winter (actually all year) long. And I normally have two or three pair of them at the feeders. But as I said, I haven't seen a cardinal since late October or maybe early November. And the same for the blue jays. In fact, I don't think I've seen a jay here at the Lake since early fall.

Most of the finches I have on my feeders are goldfinches. Occasionally, I'll see a purple finch but not very often. Right now, as I'm typing this, there are probably two dozen goldfinches fighting over perch space on the three Niger seed feeders. You can tell the weather is changing and a storm is headed our way because all of the feeders right now are loaded with birds.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  10:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cripes! I thought the subject line was about Mike going to the New Year's Eve Party.

Walt

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  11:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I was setting up my work train shoot some locals came by.

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  11:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barry,

Looks like you are having some beautiful weather down-under. How warm was it when you took this photo and do the roos normally heard up like this, or is this just a family of roos?

Allen

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  11:32:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great picture, Barry. Not much wildlife in my neighborhood, outside of squirrels and rabbits.

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  1:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  1:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah Mike
Outback Steak House one of my favorite places to eat when I am not eating pizza.
A Fosters Oil Can my beer of choice.
No home brews here.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Edited by - Bbags on 01/09/2004 1:17:20 PM

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  1:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all neat photos...wish I could post one but our local wildlife here came thru a few nights ago and did'nt stick around for pictures.Bears busted down two of my bird feeders and sit on the ground and eat all the seed. This holloween they had a ball eating big wholes in all the pumpkins. Oh well just the bear facts as we see them here almost every day. As long as they leave the garbage alone I don't mind....Jerry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  2:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, John, I think the signs fooled you. It's actually "Time-Out," our favorite shoreline restaurant at the Lake. It's right across the lake from us. Here's a view from one of the restaurant's decks. We're looking down the Gravois Arm of the lake in this one. Although you can't tell it from the photo, this arm of the lake winds and twists for 6 more miles and then merges with the main channel of the lake. And that's probably far more than you really wanted to know...

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike
You are right.
I now see the word "out" on the sign.
However we have an Outback Steakhouse here and that could also be their sign and they do also serve Fosters.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

railcodger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  5:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Barry,

That's a great wildlife photo. Since this forum is the closest that I will ever get to Australia, I for one would like to see more photos. Thanks

William

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000