Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: nevadablue ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  9:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken, just about an hour ago, a blue heron was stalking around on my neighbor's dock. They're fairly common around here, but they usually don't get right up in "people territory" like this one did. Your photo of the commorant is very similar to the scene here a while ago.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  9:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice pics Mike and Ken. We have about six hummers that come to a feeder no more than 8 feet from our back door. We have a canopy swing on the deck there and while we sit in the swing they will come and feed. Sometimes fighting they will come so close you can hear their wings going. Once in a while they will come with in two or three feet of us hovering and inspecting. Even our old Himilayan cat gets the inspection when he's sitting under the feeder. He can't really see them but they will get down to within a foot or two looking him over then go feed.

Walt

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  9:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen,

Don't believe Mike on how he photographs the hummers. I have it on good authority that he camouflages himself to get a photo. Here's a picture in his disguise.

Seriously Mike, great pictures. The male in the bottom photo has the right idea for drinking the nectar.

Jim

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  10:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's no disguise, Jim. That's really me, sans swim trunks and wet suit!

They will drain a 16-oz. feeder every day. That's why I have 4 feeders out in the trees. I can hardly keep up with them at this time of year. A fellow I know a couple of miles down the lake has feeders all over his back yard. He says that he goes through 50 pounds of sugar a month keeping the feeders full! I usually buy one 5-lb. bag a month for the hummers. But they sure are fun to watch!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  07:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta love that pic of Mike!

Mike

shortliner
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  10:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This pretty lady came to see me the other day. She is a female sparrowhawk, and chases, catches and eats small birds, hunting through thorn bushes and places you wouldn't believe a bird that size (about 15" tall with around 30" wingspan) could go. Normally VERY shy and retiring, she was not the least bothered by me moving round and taking photos. She hung around for about 45 minutes before flying away, passing about 2 feet above my head as she did so.

Download Attachment: hunta Copy.jpg
177.02 KB

Download Attachment: hunta1 Copy.jpg
172.18 KB

Download Attachment: hunta2 Copy.jpg
175.64 KB

Edited by - shortliner on 08/29/2005 10:32:49 AM

rckwallaby
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  11:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit rckwallaby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thought I might add a couple as well.

This chap is a permanent resident of the very excellent Pelican Beach Resort in Coff's Harbour on the mid New South Wales coast of Australia. They earn their keep by amusing the paying customers of the resorts terrace resaurant. They will take bacon pieces from your hand, and if you're careful you can scratch them under the chin.

They seem to have a front-on blind spot, and if you reach out very slowly towards them from that aspect, they often won't realise they're being handled. Feels just like petting rough stone. Always amuses the wife.

Oh. They're called Water Dragons.

And this one of the seagull was just me playing at zoom & shoot with the G-3 Canon.

Well, back to some real life.
Cheers

Phil

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  4:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red Tailed hawk searching for his next bite to eat, interesting study in weathered yellow paint on the crane as well.

Taken this morning 1/2 mi S of Sunfield, MI

He flew off before I could get closer to take another shot.

Edited by - k9wrangler on 09/01/2005 4:22:38 PM

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  9:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's Silly Darla:

Why do cats love to look at you upside down so much?
-Dave

-Dave

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  10:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
We had cats for many years, and I gave up trying to figure out why the did anything.

Great picture.

I caputred this Cicada just emerging from its "shell" when we visited our son in Michigan a few weeks ago.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  10:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got up this morning and discovered a heavy layer of lake-effect fog. A while later, as the fog began to lift and burn off, I spotted this blue heron perched on a piece of stray foam a couple hundred yards from shore.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  5:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you look closely at the flowers, you will see they're loaded with honey bees. A few of the bees are on the surface, but most are deep in the flowerlets and only partially visible. The flowers are purple sedum.

I discovered these when I got home this afternoon and was going to check the mailbox. For obvious reasons, I did not want to get in too close or become too chummy with the bees.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  6:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a good time to smell the sedum

We had a very rare for Wisconsin visitor this morning...

A lone White Pelican.

In memory of Mike Chambers

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  7:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Forget the bees, look at all that tree-making material.

Ken,
Do they migrate, or are they usually on the Great Lakes?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  8:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Mike,
Forget the bees, look at all that tree-making material.

Bruce, I've had my eye on both clumps all summer long. It was a bumper crop year for sedum around here. I'll probably get at least 3 grocery sacks full of tree-making material this fall! Once the bees are gone, that is.

Oh... and here's the reason why man invented window screens....

This choice specimen, a wolf spider, has taken up residence right outside our kitchen windows. Better outside than inside.

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000