Railroad Line Forums - A Little Wildlife
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 12 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 44 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: BKey ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO
Page: of 70

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  3:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This morning, between rain showers, I happened to look out the window and saw this interloper taking its leisure in the shade garden next to the patio.

Of course, She-Who-Rules-The-Yard took exception to the intruder and barked furiously and bravely, albeit from a distance. She continued to bark long after the hapless creature had ambled back to the woods until I wacked her with a broom because she was driving me .
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  3:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I took a picture of some local wildlife today also. (To send to the grand kids.) Not quite a cute as yours. I showed it to my wife, but she didn't bark at all.

Bruce

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

railcodger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  4:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I hate to show my ignorance, but is that a hedgehog? I have not seen one of those around these parts, however we do have a similar looking critter in the form of a groundhog which does horrific digging damage under buildings and woodpiles.

Bruce, we usually get to see a couple walking sticks each summer - amazing creatures.

This obviously was not taken today, rather last spring. A few wild turkeys wandering through...

They were transplanted here in Wisconsin a few years ago on a trade with Missouri and they are flourishing. I don't recall what we sent to Missouri - field mice or moles maybe.

william

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  6:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, here we have the great hunter, protected by a screen you notice:

And the fearless hunted:

Walt

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  9:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
William, you're right, it's a hedge-hog. They can create a huge mess with their digging and rooting if given half a chance. Fortunately, this one decided that discretion was the better part of valor and headed for the brush as quickly as it could.

Walt, "fearless hunted" is a completely accurate description of those critters! Mattie (aka "She-Who-Rules-The-Yard" ) has been going berserk since last Wednesday afternoon. All of a sudden we've been innundated with those pests, and they've collaborated to make the dog's life miserable. They're everywhere and nowhere - at least as far as the dog can tell. She literally wore herself out yesterday trying to flush a couple of them out of the woodpile.

I wish the screech owls and barn owls we had around here a few months ago would come back... hehehe [:-xx(]

Edited by - MikeC on 11/01/2003 9:38:52 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  1:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These guys were pushing their luck with Thanksgiving coming up this week. There was a flock of about 15 in the yard, but by the time I got the camera and "snuck up" on them, only the two stragglers were still in camera range. (These would be the two that are not long for this world.)

Bruce

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Johnnie C. Scott
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  11:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course I don't have any pictures but I have 3 yard dawgs that have to be kept chained in the back yard.( they like to chase the neighbor's stock). There is a rabbit who has learned tha exact length of their chains and is driving them nuts. I have found the rabbits leavings exactly 6" outside the dog's reach on several occasions. I think I'll add a foot to their chains. p.s. actually the little guy in the first picture is a groundhog, aka woodchuck and he's probably just looking for a nice place to hole up for the winter.

Johnnie C. Scott- Old Curmudgeon

Edited by - Johnnie C. Scott on 11/24/2003 11:13:45 AM

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  01:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our neighbours report that a brown snake was on their front door step the other day. Brown snakes are very aggressive and are one of the world's most poisonous snakes so I haven't gone out looking to take a photo of it.

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  02:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barry,

I've changed my mind about visiting Australia.

Allen

quote:
Originally posted by bpate

Our neighbours report that a brown snake was on their front door step the other day. Brown snakes are very aggressive and are one of the world's most poisonous snakes so I haven't gone out looking to take a photo of it.

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  02:37:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's OK Allen, you get free medical treatment if you get bitten! That's if you live of course. If someone ever does get bitten it makes the national news. It's more dangerous visiting your accountant.

Edited by - bpate on 12/31/2003 03:28:18 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  10:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brown snakes? Hmmmm.... Do they move to the U.S. and become IRS Auditors when they grow up?

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  12:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barry & Mike,

I take the 'Indiana Jones' approach to snakes and tax auditors, I avoid them like the plague. Or else, it's 'Don't bite it, just give it a little snakey lick, a-lick a-lick a-lick a-lick.'

Richard,

Since I'm on Atkin's, I don't eat cereal. However, I do eat eggs so tell that rooster to quit eating grain! Seriously, I haven't heard about a decrease in bird population since DDT and the eagles situation. As a former licensed pesticide applicator, I have always been very careful to use PPE and of protecting the environment from contamination. We also have an interest in supplementing feed for the birds and squirrels that visit our abode.
Allen

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  2:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard, There is no discernable decrease in the bird population around here.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  3:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard
While there is not much in the way of grain fields here in Connecticut we do have plenty of birds.
I have a large bird feeder which can be emptied in about 5 minutes by a flook of starlings (must be over 100) who seem to visit every other day.
I wish they would stay away for the other smaller birds are what the feeder is intended for.
So if you want starlings I will be glad to send them to you.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  6:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich
I will give that a try since I seem to be feeding nothing but starlings most of the time.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  6:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a friend grabbing some New Year's Dinner at the squirrel feeder my father made for me a few years ago. The grandkids really got a kick out of seeing the squirrels eating in the jar.

Bruce

Bruce

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: The Gallery: June 14 Its a B&W Month! Topic Next Topic: NEPROTO  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000