Railroad Line Forums - Whitcomb sound
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Whitcomb sound
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: the Bachmann 4-4-0ís. Topic Next Topic: new construction  

SoCalBobS
New Hire

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  5:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím back!

Hey guys, I recently got a Bachmann Whitcomb diesel. Pretty massive, sitting next to an 0-4-2 Porter! Hereís my question this time, primarily for other Whitcomb owners.

The decoder is the Soundtraxx made specifically for the Whitcomb. All of the secondary sounds seem to be working correctly - whistles, bells, fan, pump, etc. The diesel noise seems to make only two, one at idle, one in motion. The latter doesnít change during acceleration or at different speeds. Am I missing something, or is that what is offered?
Dragging myself into the 21st century.

Dan
Section Hand

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  07:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

I am also dragging myself into the 21st century and the Whitcomb was my first DCC and sound equipped locomotive. It doesn't sound right to me either.

Some diesel/generator setups are designed so the diesel runs at a near constant speed. For example, I once worked at a microwave transmitter station with a Cooper Bessemer powered standby AC generator. As it fed directly into the 60 Hz wiring in the building, the RPMs stayed constant to keep the frequency stable. Whenever the generator picked up more load, the diesel grunted only marginally louder.

I have not had a chance to research the DC traction motor innards of the prototype Whitcomb, but the Bachmann does sound similar to the Cooper.

Has anyone successfully completed a full SoundTraxx Tsunami transplant on the Bachmann Whitcomb? While the model is supposed to have a genuine Whitcomb audio file, I much prefer a loco with a more "expressive" exhaust.

All the best,

Dan

SoCalBobS
New Hire

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  07:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, my guess too,if the sound is accurate, is that as a diesel electric, the diesel runs at a near constant speed - a hybrid! Hopefully someone with expertise will confirm this.

Dan
Section Hand

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  06:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something to try is to inquire of the good people at SoundTraxx the source of the audio file. Then try writing to the owner/operator of the loco asking about its operation. You can't get more "expert" than that.

SoCalBobS
New Hire

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  09:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dan

Something to try is to inquire of the good people at SoundTraxx the source of the audio file. Then try writing to the owner/operator of the loco asking about its operation. You can't get more "expert" than that.

Yep, got a post into them, no reply yet.

SoCalBobS
New Hire

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  3:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: They answered after a couple of days. Long story short, no change. The sound decoder does have speed notches. If I interpret the response correctly, each notch is seven speed steps, so thereíd be max of four. I went to max throttle, maybe heard three. Still good. I guess the engineer just doesnít like to rev the throttle!

Previous Topic: the Bachmann 4-4-0ís. Topic Next Topic: new construction  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000