Railroad Line Forums - Anyone know The Shay Fixer?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Anyone know The Shay Fixer?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Links to Cedarhill Designs Topic Next Topic: The Halifax explosion happened 100 years ago today  

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  8:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,
I'm wondering, since there's many geared loco aficionados amongst us, if anyone has dealt with The Shay Fixer? http://www.shayfixer.com/theshayfixer.htm

I've been trying to contact him but I've received no response - is he still around? From what I can see on the interweb, if anyone can solve my problem, it's likely him.

Here's the scenario:

I've got an old United Mich-Cal Shay that's driving me 'round the bend. I've installed a TCS WOW-Sound decoder with keep-alive in a Kadee logging caboose. It's harnessed to the loco with a Soundtraxx 9-wire harness. This loco only picks up on half the wheels on each truck. If I put jumpers to each truck, the loco runs fine. As soon as I put it on the track, it acts like it's got an intermittent short. It seems to be the front truck that's causing it, because if I disconnect the universal from the front truck, everything runs fine (on the track and off). As soon as the front universal's connected - BZORT! it starts shorting when it's on the track.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  8:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check your PM Inbox

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  10:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I got in touch with the Shay Fixer. Phil was incredibly generous with his time in helping me trouble-shoot my problem (used magnet wire for LEDs and speakers, likely shorting against the chassis). He has an encyclopedic knowledge of brass geared locomotives, (and a shop full of parts to boot). He went step-by-step through several checks on what I had done, and where the problems might lie, and made several very good suggestions of how to improve DCC installations in brass locos based on his many years of experience. At the end of it all, he was happy to have helped, and didn't want to accept payment. I insisted I'd eaten an hour of his time and benefited greatly from it, and had no reservations paying him for it.
If you have a brass geared loco that is misbehaving, or just needs repair, I'd highly recommend contacting him.

Previous Topic: Links to Cedarhill Designs Topic Next Topic: The Halifax explosion happened 100 years ago today  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000