Railroad Line Forums - Hno3 turntable
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: Gary Hannibal ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Hno3 turntable
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HOn3 rerailer Topic Next Topic: Hon30 Inglenook  

JayRs
New Hire

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  08:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit JayRs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iím building my first layout, actually it is a module of an engine facility that will be at the end of the route. I want to include a turntable for turning the engines as a wye will not fit, but, after extensive searching and forum reading I cannot find a good Hon3 one. Ideally it would be approx 70í, for Hon3, motorized with accurate indexing, usable with DCC and as RTR as possible. There have been various options over the years, but most have disappeared. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Jay

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  10:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/hon3-hon30-65ft-durango-turntable/

This is the one I am considering for my North Coast Railroad.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

JayRs
New Hire

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  11:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit JayRs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen that one Dave. It looks good and could be a contender,but no indexing only positioning by eye. Plus shipping to the US could take forever.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  1:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don't care about looks, and want more for the indexing, than an Atlas "N" scale turntable is what you want. It has excellent and accurate indexing. Also, you can fix the looks by googling Atlas turntables and see what others have done to make them front runners, with just a few details and added scratch building. Hon3 runs on this turntable. See Atlas turntable here; http://www.atlasrr.com/pdf/N%20Turntable.pdf
7-1/2" Diameter Deck with Smooth Manual Operation. Or added motor unit.
21 Track Positions With 15" Stall Spacing using Geneva Movement that Locks Table In Exact Position Every Time.
Simulated Wood Brown Turntable Deck and Concrete Pit Ring.
Turntable can Be Motorized Easily with an N Scale Motor Drive Unit (ATL-2791)
Below is one example that can be done with the Atlas turntable that member dougcoffey1950 did to his.
And, below that is an open pit design that was made by another person. See here; http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/99558.aspx

JayRs
New Hire

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  5:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit JayRs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Louis, indexing does not win out over looks. I've come to realize that my perfect TT does not exist, so compromises to the wish list will have to be made. The second example with the pit is more work (and probably skill) than I want to put into the project.

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  11:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jay, the kitwood turntable kits are very nice and it does not take forever to get it from the UK. I found shipping to be very reasonable and FASTER than some items I have ordered from US mail order places.

I use a 1.5 volt battery to power mine and it moves slow enough that I don't need indexing.

My kitwood turntable build topic:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41465

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

JayRs
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  2:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit JayRs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After exchanging several emails with Simon, the owner, I now have the Kitwood Durango kit making its way across the ocean. Thanks to Kevin's build thread I can see it will build up to a nice model.

Not sure it is totally necessary, but I decided to build my own indexing for the turntable with a stepper motor and an arduino. Working on the electronics now while I wait for turntable kit. We will see how that goes!

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  01:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You will be happy with Simon's kits he is one of the good guys.
rich

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

Previous Topic: HOn3 rerailer Topic Next Topic: Hon30 Inglenook  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000