Railroad Line Forums - Fuel for sawmill boilers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Fuel for sawmill boilers
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Logging Track Bumpers Topic Next Topic: The Mills at Swan Bay Lumber Company - Build Log  

hardcoalcase
New Hire

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  7:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I plan to include a modest-sized, permanent sawmill on my c.1910 coal country layout. While I presume many sawmills used wood scraps and sawdust as boiler fuel, I wonder how common it would be for a mill to fire the boilers with coal?

Edited by - hardcoalcase on 12/02/2017 8:05:26 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  8:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd guess uncommon. Why pay for an external fuel source when you have a steady supply? All the bark, sawdust, and scraps make up a lot of energy to burn.

Jim

wvg_ca
New Hire

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  02:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wood scraps and sawdust were relatively abundant, and cost was very minimal compared to coal, or other fuels that required transport

regards, Warren

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  10:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim and Warren are right. Scrap lumber from the mill provided a source of fuel for firing the boiler. In the 20th century the introduction of electricity changed the power source for many sawmills. Besides the sawn timber/lumber, use was made of all the by-products including sawdust, bark, woodchips, and wood pellets. Coal was not an option, but it's your railroad, so, could of been, should of been type of thing goes a long way.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Previous Topic: Logging Track Bumpers Topic Next Topic: The Mills at Swan Bay Lumber Company - Build Log  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000