Railroad Line Forums - Friday Lounge 1st of December
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Friday Lounge 1st of December
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Saturday Morning Lounge Topic Next Topic: Thursday morning lounge  

tloc
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  07:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Crew from So. Wisconsin where the weather continues to be nice. It is 29f degrees now heading to a calm 50. 3mph wind even when itís 29 makes for a nice morning.

Breakfast is light, coffee is a Northern Wisconsin special of Lumberman blend. Toast is sourdough, butter with lots of jams and jellies, fried eggs with either bacon or maple flavored ham. As usual Waltís tea and oatmeal is available to all. The juice bar will be restocked mid morning but there is still enough goodies there for some fresh smoothies.

I started yesterday on building the wood chipper room for the papermill. Whenever I start a scratch project, I go back and marvel how guys like Guff, Sgtbob and Ensign create their models. I am lousy at this but I am not in a rush, so hopefully this will be something that will see the layout. Today though I will be ballasting the 40í of the relaid main. No worries about the rails popping off the ties as this is ME flex track, which is a pain to flex around curves, but looks as good as the stuff I han$ payed down.

Enjoy the day
TomO

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  07:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Tom and the rest of the RR-L Crew when they crawl in. 29f here also. Quit sending that cold weather our way as we are 500 miles south of you.

I'm back to my oatmeal and tea. Had a full breakfast yesterday morning at the K of C Officers meeting and felt crummy half the day after. Big meals aren't for me anymore.
I'll have a cup or two of coffee later in the morning.

Need to clean up around here as my new 6' long tool cabinet is coming in tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully this will be a better setup than the large folding table I now use for a number of things. Hell if it doesn't work out. Well, the cabinet was Mary's idea anyway, so she can't complain too much at me. Basically I'm hoping for better and faster production with a new layout of equipment. Hope they ship the new Automatic Washer for the 3D printer. That will help a lot as I have a lot of trash of resin soiled paper towels that won't happen with it. Those have to be set out in clear plastic containers in the sun to harden before dumping in the trash. Always something it seems.

Everyone have a FUN and SAFE day in the Cool Train Yard.

Walt

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  08:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Tom, Walt and crew. We're driving to Charlottesville this morning. Our granddaughter is getting married up there tomorrow. Gosh! that makes me feel old.

Have a good day.
George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  08:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Tom, Walt and the rest of the crew. We have sunshine and it is 41 degrees here in northern NJ.

I finally finished cleaning up the leaves yesterday afternoon. They got ahead of me this year because of our various fall trips. It sure made the cleanup harder. The new house has one acre of property compared to the almost two acres we have here, plus a lot fewer trees. That should make fall cleanup easier.

I also cleaned out the rafters in the barn. The more storage you have, the more junk treasures you store. The garbage men will be surprised over the next few months as they see what I set out at the curb. We usually have one half-full can.

Well, we have our 6-month cleaning and exam at the Dentist this morning. This afternoon I will finish putting up the outside Christmas decorations.

Have a great day!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  08:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew on a sunny 19 degree morning in N,E. Indiana. Thanks for opening up and the fine breakfast this morning Tom.

Today's the 'heatem up' day here. This old house is total electric heat. It's the only available utility. So about 10 years ago, I installed a set of propane gas logs in the fireplace. They took $1000 off the electric bill the first month. So, I had a 1000 gallon tank located behind the shed and ran a line to the house. Those logs running at idle, keep the house toasty from Dec 1 to mid April on a single filling. We've had power outages of 7 days in the dead of winter from ice storms, and those logs handled it. I added a Tri-fuel 60 KW generator several years ago. So I can even run a train until we get dug out.

I'm heading out to the shop.

Have a Super day!

Jim

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  09:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew and thanks for opening up this morning Tom. Its a sunny and chilly fall morning here in southern NJ with temps in the low 40's. It's supposed to warm up into the low 50's today.

The contractors to install the flooring in my kitchen and hallway are here now and once again, chaos in the house. But this is it. Once this is installed, I just have a few things to finish up, like putting a toilet back in the powder room, and the job is done!

I'll be working from home today hanging out here keeping an eye on things. I had planned to clean the leaves off the yard today, but due to overnight rains, the leaves are wet so that may make it difficult to accomplish today.

Have a great day everyone!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  10:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good December morning to everyone. I can't believe it is December. Sheesh.

So, yesterday, I finished up the wedge plow for my railroad. Ready for winter, now. I'm getting back into the mine office, now. Hopefully, I can complete that this month and maybe one other small project.

Not much else planned for the day. Have a good one!

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  11:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning everyone

Tom thanks for the coffee.

Its a sunny/51 here in South Jersey.

Christmas errands to run today. Then is my supplies get here I can work on the Machine Shop over the weekend.

Everyone have a great day!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  3:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good day everyone. They caught the Seminole Heights killer. This starts December off on a good note.
ed

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  5:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunny day winding down in MI, I was up early, with the Sun. Heavy frost and 20 degrees when I lit the boilers in the road power. I spent the day running trains in Grand Rapids. I returned to find a front porch full of UPS droppings. I was able to hide the Doll's Christmas present before she's supposed to get home, good thing as the maker's name is all over the box.

We found out yesterday why the Doll was under the weather half of last week and all weekend. The restaurant we'd had a meal in Tuesday was cited and shut down temporarily for a major deep cleaning after about 3 dozen REPORTED and who knows how many unreported cases of Norovirus. Some folks much sicker than she was.

Weather reports I heard while on the road this morning state that a big blast of cold is coming early next week, highs in the range of 20 degrees. With the water still warm and unfrozen on the big lakes the Lake Effect will churn up some big snows. Upwards of an inch an hour in places, like, ohhh...Traverse City? and all along the first 2-3 tiers of counties on the West side of our mitten. Depending on the winds we're usually at the Eastern edge of that stuff. Insurance agents, law enforcement and the towing folks might be busy. First time winter stuff is usually a dodgem car rally. If half the people I saw today reading their phones as they drove are added in. Time for me to stay close.

I finished a major track laying project yesterday and with another power drop or two I can shift gears for a bit to scenic endeavors. I still have more track work to do, but a change in routine will be welcome for a week or two.

My SPARTANS whipped Notre Dame last night for their second dominating victory this week of major contenders.

Time to move on, everyone have a great weekend.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  6:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Thanks ever so much for the forward from your Weathertarians!

Fortunately, or not, it is not in complete harmony with ours Up North, who are advertising rain and 50s early on, and white gifts from above showering upon us on Thursday and Friday, with total accumulations of less than three inches. This is just enough to activate the Fool Syndrome, which postulates that one should come, for instance, barreling up to a red light and then slam on the brakes, sliding into the poor soul lawfully stopped at the light.

There's some great video out there showing tanks rolling into some Belgian village on the way to relieve Bastogne during WWII. They arrive from, say, the west, and want to turn left, and go north, but they have to navigate the village square roundabout and go around the statue of the Celebrity du Jour before they can head north. The tanks roll in, slide sideways trying to go around the statue, wind up on the sidewalk, where they slam into the stone building, throwing stone chips everywhere, then get traction and move on out of town. Rinse and repeat.

Now.... If a 33 ton Sherman (the light version) with combat tracks... the ultimate off-road vehicle... has no traction on an icy road, what exactly makes you think your three ton SUV with 150 square inches of rubber on the road is gonna work on ice???

No wonder the insurance folk and the body shops love the first few weeks of winter!

Stay safe!

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 12/01/2017 6:14:05 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  10:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Sunny day winding down in MI, I was up early, with the Sun. Heavy frost and 20 degrees when I lit the boilers in the road power. I spent the day running trains in Grand Rapids. I returned to find a front porch full of UPS droppings. ...

Hopefully not this! https://www.inquisitr.com/4657906/amazon-delivery-woman-defecates-on-customers-front-lawn-after-delivering-package-caught-on-video/

I have no idea what I'll get my wife for Christmas.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  11:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Sunny day winding down in MI, I was up early, with the Sun. Heavy frost and 20 degrees when I lit the boilers in the road power. I spent the day running trains in Grand Rapids. I returned to find a front porch full of UPS droppings. ...

Hopefully not this! https://www.inquisitr.com/4657906/amazon-delivery-woman-defecates-on-customers-front-lawn-after-delivering-package-caught-on-video/

I have no idea what I'll get my wife for Christmas.

dave

. Saw that after iíd Made my post. Eeeuw....

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

Previous Topic: Saturday Morning Lounge Topic Next Topic: Thursday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000