Railroad Line Forums - Kitbashed Yorke kit- Critter Engine House in HO
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Kitbashed Yorke kit- Critter Engine House in HO
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: More New Stuff on the F&SM Topic Next Topic: NBWs
Page: of 11

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  9:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Rich,
I Like the idea of a drop box. Very interested in how this works! I'll keep watching.
Dave

Dave, I answered you earlier, but I'm doing so again to answer your post on the drop box.
Thanks for the nice comments.

Continuing with this saga...
The following picture was posted earlier in this thread.

The reason why I wanted to make the drop-box was I wanted to hide the wires for lighting the buildings.
Although most of you would not go this route, I chose to use one of the cheaper methods to install lighting. This is what I'm using.

To install the lights in the engine house, I had to figure out a way to do it above the rafters. I didn't want the lights to interfere with the critter going through the structure, as the highest point of that engine is the top of the muffler. So I had to devise something rigid to hold them in place above the lowest rafter. I decided to use a drinking straw, to make a light bar. I made horizontal drilled holes in the side of the straw, ran the wires into the straw, and devised a box against the rear wall corner to hide the wires.

Most of you probably don't show your mistakes.
I glued the bulbs in place, turned on the lights, and was happy that everything worked as planned. Then, I realized that I had done this work above the drop box and didn't run the wires through the hole I had made in the top of the diorama. So, I had to cut the wires from the straw. I had to cut and splice, while doing so, I added a length of wire to the shortest bulb at the rear of the shed. This roof will be removable, so I want to make sure that when lifting the roof from the building, the wires are long enough for good clearance.

I found that he easist way to remove insulation from thin wire, is to burn it off with a lighter, then scrape the charred plastic with the tip of my exacto knife. I tried that earlier with a small sharp knife, and severed several needed thin wires in the process.

So, this is the finished light bar with bulbs in place. I painted the straw with floquil Foundation solvent paint. It adhered to the plastic better than acrylic paint. The paint color is more natural in color like the truss timbers to hide it.

And this last picture shows where the wires will reside in the corner of the end of the engine house. I will cover them with a board to hide them from view.
On with the rest of this build....

Thanks for watching.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  9:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to add the last picture.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  10:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Rich, love the night/morning low light photos, but I don't see any of lightning that you spoke of earlier.
You must have wired things up correctly.

Greg Shinnie

Greg,

What?? No puns yet?? I don't believe it!!

Well, here's that lightning...take it!

Rich

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  11:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice Rich,
Thanks for sharing. Now I see the value of the drop box.
Dave

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  12:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Nice Rich,
Thanks for sharing. Now I see the value of the drop box.
Dave

Thanks Dave.
Not only will it hide the lighting wires, the terminal wires for a transformer will be out of sight too. I am drilling a hole underneath the building with the chain mesh and through the drop box bottom to hook up to the transformer. Even if the diorama is used as a shelf layout, alone, the wires can still be routed through that hole to the transformer on another shelf below. I am pleased with this design.
My other thought was to build a slide-in for the battery box in the side of the base, but doing it the way I did, no wires are exposed.
Rich

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  07:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,
I like the drop box, battery pack and drinking straw ideas for your lighting.

However, can I respectfully recommend to you an inexpensive tool to remove insulation off your wires instead of a lighter?

This common wire stripper is about $6.00, and is very easy to use! I wouldn't be without one!

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  08:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Rich,
I like the drop box, battery pack and drinking straw ideas for your lighting.

However, can I respectfully recommend to you an inexpensive tool to remove insulation off your wires instead of a lighter?

This common wire stripper is about $6.00, and is very easy to use! I wouldn't be without one!

Thanks Carl, I have one that is for multiple wire sizes but it can't get into close quarters like a short wire near the board.
The cutting edges has a wide metal piece attached to the top. I will look into getting one like yours.
Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  08:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Thank you for the details on lighting. Iím glad your mistake was not the last straw.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  09:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Rich,

Thank you for the details on lighting. Iím glad your mistake was not the last straw.

Mike

Thanks Mike, you beat Greg to the pun_ch!
Rich

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  10:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well let's go Rich, light 'er up.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  10:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Well let's go Rich, light 'er up.

Thanks Frank, that's a good one! Working on the installation of additional lights in the other two buildings, should be finished soon.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  6:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have all the lights in now and the building planted. Working on scenery and details. I will post in a few days.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  10:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello folks. I have been busy with Christmas chores and not much modeling time lately, but I got a few things done this week.
I wanted to try something different with cedar shingles, so I used them as 4' x 8' panels on the main shed. I have yet to weather them. I also added two small roofs on the other shed in the foreground. The ground cover is sand colored grout, using 50/50 water and Elmers glue. The railroad ties are not glued, just sitting there.

And... a few night shots...

Thanks for looking.

Rich

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  10:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I like your use of different building materials, stone and various wood types.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/12/2017 10:49:33 AM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  11:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank. I have to take more close-up pictures later. The tarpaper on the smaller shed roofs is made from one-ply toilet tissue. I like the way it looks weathered without the use of powders, just by using thinned floquil paint/ stains.
I'm not sure what I will use on the two-shed roof, any suggestions?
Rich

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: More New Stuff on the F&SM Topic Next Topic: NBWs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000