Railroad Line Forums - Kitbashed Yorke kit- Critter Engine House in HO
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 139 ]  [ Total: 144 ]  [ Newest Member: Loren Johnsen ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Kitbashed Yorke kit- Critter Engine House in HO
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: More New Stuff on the F&SM Topic Next Topic: NBWs
Page: of 11

Tim Hebert
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  2:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm enjoying your photos. Outstanding work and attention to details.

Kind regards,
Tim

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  2:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Hebert

I'm enjoying your photos. Outstanding work and attention to details.

Kind regards,
Tim

Thanks Tim. The photos were partly taken by my cellphone, so I hope they are clear enough to see.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  9:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the comments received. The next few days I will be doing some roofing so I may be absent for a while.

In making the roof on the engine house, I added some extra wood to the rafter tops. My effort here is to make sure the lower edges of the roofing dosen't hit inside of the top sill plates.

I have started the roof by putting on the purlins.

I have painted the first coat of sub-earth. The paint used to do the sub-earth, I used Josonya Acrylic Earth, thinned with blue windshield washer fluid.

That's all for tonight. Thanks for looking.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  9:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is where I'm at now. I will also be doing the ground cover.

Rich

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  08:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, This is looking good! The sliding door mount is a good idea. The coloring is very nice.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  09:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Rich, This is looking good! The sliding door mount is a good idea. The coloring is very nice.

Thanks Bill. A lot of members on the forum are more experienced at coloring buildings and scenery than I am. I strive to better myself with each build I do. If anything looks out of whack, just jump right in and speck up.
Rich

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  09:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, I'm liking this more and more all the time. Very interesting how you have worked three
structures into one great looking build.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  09:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

Rich, I'm liking this more and more all the time. Very interesting how you have worked three
structures into one great looking build.

Bob

Thanks Bob, but that statement you made got me thinking I have less scenery to do because the buildings take up the extra space!
Rich

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  09:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,
Can you elaborate a bit on how you used Jo Sonja paint to color your wood. Since they do not look
painted I assume that you put it on and then wiped it off or that you made a stain of it.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  10:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rich,
Can you elaborate a bit on how you used Jo Sonja paint to color your wood. Since they do not look
painted I assume that you put it on and then wiped it off or that you made a stain of it.

Bob

Bob, I used the Josonja paint for the earth color on the base only.
The colors I used to do the wood siding were different. I will dig into my notes and get back to you on this. Thanks
Rich

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  10:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, your engine house facility is really taking shape, and looking more & more interesting with each new piece added.
I hope your going to add some lighting to it all.

Greg Shinnie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  12:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Rich, your engine house facility is really taking shape, and looking more & more interesting with each new piece added.
I hope your going to add some lighting to it all.

Greg Shinnie

Thanks Greg, but actually I was thinking more of adding lightening, like in my avitar! That would add a lot of exitement for a night shot better than just lights.
Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  12:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich gets better with every post.

Looking forward to the lights.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  1:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa! So I nip out for a few days and come back to this! It's coming together really nice. Love your idea for the sliding doors (stealing that); I was trying to figure out how to set the height of my wharf/dock so that my deck boards would match the rail height...not sure why I didn't think of just using thicker boards - thanks for showing me that.
Cheers,
Dave

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  1:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rich,

Bob

Bob,

My first thought with the bare wood, was to use a light acrylic paint in a wash. I didn't go with it because I prefer to use chalk and alcohol for wood. The main reason is the way it dries, flat and smooth to the touch. Chalk gives a solid color without being a heavy" color like a two-coated paint you see on real structures.
On second thought, I wanted to achieve a peeled paint effect but didn't want to use the stippling method or a rag. I went with the products in this picture.

I used both products shown, on the right lower corner of the bottom piece of wood wall.

I waited for it to day just a few seconds, then I used some weathering chalks at random, form the following two pictures on top of the crackle medium.

As you can see in the next picture, this is a long drawn-out process, but I didn't like the look I was getting, so I try other things till it gets right to me.

After the chalk dried, I went over the wall with light 320 grit sandpaper, then used a light Tamyia Deck Tan wash, 50/50 with 99% alcohol and a little of the Dr. Ben's Camoflauge weathering powder mixed in, before the wash dried.

This combination was pleasing to my eyes, and it is now finished.

If I try this again, I think I need to make up some samples to use as a guide. I do notice that some paint products dry up after no use for a while. When mixing more alcohol to a chalk slurry or more water to acrylic paints, you could go overboard by adding too much alcohol or too much water. My Floquil paint collection is a prime suspect. Perhaps that is one reason to re-open the jars occasionally to make sure they are ok.
I hope your question got answered, if not, give me another shout. Thanks.
Rich

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: More New Stuff on the F&SM Topic Next Topic: NBWs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000