Railroad Line Forums - CMX Track Cleaning Car
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 CMX Track Cleaning Car
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Brow log position log pond dump. Topic Next Topic: Lous Rolling Ruffed Grouse
Page: of 2

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  9:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's been your experience with the CMX Clean Machine Track Cleaning Car? Pricey, I know but how effective is it vs. other means of keeping the rails clean? Also, which solvents have you found work best in the car: isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner (as recommended by the manufacturer)?

Seems to me that it would have cost a lot less if not made of brass and weighted with weights instead.

Thanks!

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  11:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, the CMX track cleaning has a very high quality adjustment for the 'drip' of the fluid. It can adjust for something like one drip every three seconds. Some modelers use lacquer thinner in theirs, and have had NO problems with smell or melting ties. I use however a track cleaner from CenterLine pulled with double header locomotives, and I prefer using just isopropyl alcohol. I did have a product from Bachmann, and their cleaner fluid was nothing more than just that (isopropyl alcohol). From the guys I know that use the lacquer thinner, it evaporates very fast, and you rarely smell anything unless your nose is right there when using lacquer thinner.
My standard track cleaning train consists of the following; two Athearn GP9ís a CenterLine track cleaning car using isopropyl alcohol. John Allen type 'sled' by A-Line, a car with a tapered block slider that has 'drywall' screen glued to it. The drywall screen is easy to clean after it clogs up. And a Walthers track cleaning car with a Spring-Loaded Abrasive Pad, (like a brightBoy)material. I just run this train all over the layout.
I use Whal Clipper oil as a last cleaning wipe and I am amazed at the much better electrical pickup. Metal wheels on all your rolling stock is the best way to go. Plastic wheel rolling stock are really bad at moving 'crud' around. I know some folks using Goo-Gone, and it did a good job, but left a 'film' on the rail that just attracted dust and the crud problems would start. Even the electronics store 'tuner cleaners' seem to leave a film on the tracks.
Some information on your CMX track cleaner can be found here; http://www.jimsmodeltrains.com/assets/userGuides/CMXUserGuide.pdf

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  12:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one and a layout I operate on has 2. They are terrific.

You have to provide them with plenty of power as they have a lot of drag. I use 2 Atlas 4 axle GE units.

People's experiences lead to many different, what works best...opinions. I use automotive lacquer thinner at a slow drip. For my layout I also have 2 centerline cars and I use one before the CMX and one behind. C/L cars with dry pads on them. It's good to keep a clean pad on any track cleaner you use.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  12:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Many thanks for the great details. A few terms and such with which I am unfamiliar:

1) "drywall" screen?

2) Centerline track cleaning car: this one?
https://www.centerline-products.com/
Just how does it work with that hole in the middle? No info on its site. Obviously something's got to be added.

3) John Allen "sled?" I know the name, but the A-Line website lists no such product

4) Wahl oil clipper?

I've seen a video of the CMX car in action. Quite neat and impressive. But paying $160 for the weight of a non-motorized brass car seems like overkill. If it were motorized, maybe.

quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

David, the CMX track cleaning has a very high quality adjustment for the 'drip' of the fluid. It can adjust for something like one drip every three seconds. Some modelers use lacquer thinner in theirs, and have had NO problems with smell or melting ties. I use however a track cleaner from CenterLine pulled with double header locomotives, and I prefer using just isopropyl alcohol. I did have a product from Bachmann, and their cleaner fluid was nothing more than just that (isopropyl alcohol). From the guys I know that use the lacquer thinner, it evaporates very fast, and you rarely smell anything unless your nose is right there when using lacquer thinner.
My standard track cleaning train consists of the following; two Athearn GP9ís a CenterLine track cleaning car using isopropyl alcohol. John Allen type 'sled' by A-Line, a car with a tapered block slider that has 'drywall' screen glued to it. The drywall screen is easy to clean after it clogs up. And a Walthers track cleaning car with a Spring-Loaded Abrasive Pad, (like a brightBoy)material. I just run this train all over the layout.
I use Whal Clipper oil as a last cleaning wipe and I am amazed at the much better electrical pickup. Metal wheels on all your rolling stock is the best way to go. Plastic wheel rolling stock are really bad at moving 'crud' around. I know some folks using Goo-Gone, and it did a good job, but left a 'film' on the rail that just attracted dust and the crud problems would start. Even the electronics store 'tuner cleaners' seem to leave a film on the tracks.
Some information on your CMX track cleaner can be found here; http://www.jimsmodeltrains.com/assets/userGuides/CMXUserGuide.pdf

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  1:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Karl.

I have two A-B sets of FA locos (all four are powered). Is that sufficient power to push this cleaner along the tracks?

quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

I have one and a layout I operate on has 2. They are terrific.

You have to provide them with plenty of power as they have a lot of drag. I use 2 Atlas 4 axle GE units.

People's experiences lead to many different, what works best...opinions. I use automotive lacquer thinner at a slow drip. For my layout I also have 2 centerline cars and I use one before the CMX and one behind. C/L cars with dry pads on them. It's good to keep a clean pad on any track cleaner you use.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  3:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GNMT76

Louis,

Many thanks for the great details. A few terms and such with which I am unfamiliar:

1) "drywall" screen?

Just how does it work with that hole in the middle? No info on its site. Obviously something's got to be added.

3) John Allen "sled?" I know the name, but the A-Line website lists no such product

4) Wahl oil clipper?

I've seen a video of the CMX car in action. Quite neat and impressive. But paying $160 for the weight of a non-motorized brass car seems like overkill. If it were motorized, maybe.

I'm sorry, there I go again assuming everyone knows what I'm saying.

Drywall screen is a product that home builders use to sand sheetrock and putty used on the seams. A small piece glued onto the A-line drag cleaner scrapes of any grime from the track. The Center-Line Cleaner Car has a brass cylinder that a piece of cloth is wrapped around the brass cylinder and tied with a piece of sewing thread to hold it in place. You soak that into cleaning solution place it into the hole in the car and it rolls and drags around the track doing a very good job of cleaning.
Wahl Clipper Oil is used by barbers to oil their hair clippers. Also, sold by hobby shops for our use in RR modeling.
The John Allen sled is just the item that he invented, a piece of hardboard, with two nails mounted into the bottom of a rolling stock, and companies like A-Line now sell as a cleaner premade for us like the picture posted.
The Caboose is just a cover I kit bashed for the Center-Line cleaning Car I have. Also, Pictured below.

Edited by - desertdrover on 11/20/2017 3:26:39 PM

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  4:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Louis, I know it takes a tremendous amount of time to attach photos, find and then drag out actual products, take photos of them and then attach to the reply. All this to say thank you from all of us for your helpful replies...

Bob

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  4:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

Louis, I know it takes a tremendous amount of time to attach photos, find and then drag out actual products, take photos of them and then attach to the reply. All this to say thank you from all of us for your helpful replies...

Bob

Thanks very much Bob! As you do know what it takes, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  6:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Well, at least you said it in English! Many thanks for the clarification and the great photos too.

The John Allen "sled" is likely the way I'll initially go; a good do-it-yourslf project. I just didn't know what it was called.

Centerline should explain on its website just how that car works - in text and with photos. You don't know there's more than the pictured car with a hole in the middle until you get to the checkout page, where a drop-down list kinda-sorta clears things up.

My local Ace Hardware should carry the drywall screen.

Clipper oil, not oil clipper as my lousy typist wrote before! Doesn't that oil leave a residue and/or attract unwanted dust bunnies?

quote:

quote:

Louis,

1) "drywall" screen?

4) Wahl clipper oil?

I'm sorry, there I go again assuming everyone knows what I'm saying.

Drywall screen is a product that home builders use to sand sheetrock and putty used on the seams. A small piece glued onto the A-line drag cleaner scrapes of any grime from the track. The Center-Line Cleaner Car has a brass cylinder that a piece of cloth is wrapped around the brass cylinder and tied with a piece of sewing thread to hold it in place. You soak that into cleaning solution place it into the hole in the car and it rolls and drags around the track doing a very good job of cleaning.
Wahl Clipper Oil is used by barbers to oil their hair clippers. Also, sold by hobby shops for our use in RR modeling.
The John Allen sled is just the item that he invented, a piece of hardboard, with two nails mounted into the bottom of a rolling stock, and companies like A-Line now sell as a cleaner premade for us like the picture posted.
The Caboose is just a cover I kit bashed for the Center-Line cleaning Car I have. Also, Pictured below.

Edited by - GNMT76 on 11/20/2017 6:13:53 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  09:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Whal Clipper oil is used as a last cleaning wipe, it just adds to a better electrical pickup. Use this oil sparingly, it is like electrical contact cleaner that comes in a spray can, only in the bottle like this you can wet the Center-Line roller and run it around the track once. Never had it become a problem with leaving an oil residue or attracting dust/crud.

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  12:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Aside from Amazon, where is the Wahl clipper oil sold? I haven't seen it at the local hobby shop or at M.B. Klein.

quote:

The Whal Clipper oil is used as a last cleaning wipe, it just adds to a better electrical pickup. Use this oil sparingly, it is like electrical contact cleaner that comes in a spray can, only in the bottle like this you can wet the Center-Line roller and run it around the track once. Never had it become a problem with leaving an oil residue or attracting dust/crud.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  4:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Louis,

Aside from Amazon, where is the Wahl clipper oil sold? I haven't seen it at the local hobby shop or at M.B. Klein.

quote:

You Alcos will do the job

Wahl oil? Look in hair products area. Iíve never used it but one fan of it I know just puts a drop on the track and lets the traffic disperse it as trains run. Oiling down the track with a wet C/L roller would be overkill IMHO.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 11/22/2017 4:08:43 PM

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  6:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wahl oil.... Who would use this except an Eskimo. Oh, sorry, I was thinking about WHALE oil. Oh well

GULF COAST & WESTERN

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  12:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another good cleaner is CRC 2-26 which is a plastic safe electronics cleaner and lubricant. My friends and I have been using it for years. Just a couple of little squirts on the pad is all you need.

I'b be very hesitant to use drywall screen on track. It is too aggressive.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

GNMT76
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  3:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

Who sells that CRC 2-26 cleaner?

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  6:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found mine at ACE hardware and I have seen it at Home Depot and Walmart.

FYI, note "lubricant" in the description. If you have steep grades it may be a problem. Our HO club has 2% grades and we do not have a problem with slipping. I have a small portable layout with 4% grades and sharp curves that cause a little bit of driver slipping at times.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

Edited by - NVNGRR on 11/26/2017 6:06:38 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Brow log position log pond dump. Topic Next Topic: Lous Rolling Ruffed Grouse  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000