Railroad Line Forums - I want a Behemoth too! More Old School On30 bashin
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: AllanJSmith ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 I want a Behemoth too! More Old School On30 bashin
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: new construction Topic Next Topic: BRIDGE BETWEEN THE MINES PART II/THE MINES
Page: of 2

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  5:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As promised, here is what I've been doing while waiting for my parts orders to come in.

I have desired to build 2 locos for almost as long as I have been doing this hobby.

One is still in the planning stages.

This one I have gotten a start on.

In the 2008 On30 annual, Dave Wingrove had an article on how he built his Narrow Guage Logging Behemoth from an HO Mantua 2-6-6-2t.

I've wanted one ever since.

This one.

I hope it's alright that I posted that picture... I DID give credit to the publication as well as the author.

In the article, he states that he used a piece of 1 1/8" tubing to build his boiler on.

Try as I may, I have never found tubing in that size, maybe I just suck at scrounging.

I had a piece of 1-1/4' and gave that a try.

I covered it with rivet embossed styrene sheet.

I was not crazy about it, it does not have the same look, It's much taller than the original, and that's the one I want.

As close as I can anyway....maybe a few embellishments to make it my very own.

Never being that good with styrene, I went to my old favorite....brass.

Not finding 1 1/8 tube, I decided the way to go was to make a skeleton for the tank, much like I have seen Les Davis do here on this very forum.

So, I drew up some braces as best as my limited cad program and limited cad skills allowed.

I printed the drawing, cut them out and glued them to some .010 brass sheet.

Then I cut, nipped and filed them to shape.

Here are 3 of the 4 hoops, 2 for the center of the tank for strength and 1 of the 2 for the ends with rivet embellishment added.

Then I soldered the end pieces on 2 pieces of brass bar stock cut to length.

Then a test fit.

I think I am a lot closer to the look now.

Happy, I soldered the 2 center braces in, which by the way I made shorter by the thickness of that bar stock, about 1/32"

Then another test fit.

Yes..... I like that sizing much much better.

Then it was on to the sheathing for the tank.

This I used .005 brash sheet for.

I glued the drawing onto the sheet, and trimmed the sheet to size and started adding rivet detail.

Rivets done, sorry about the bad pic, obviously I moved while taking the shot.

I soldered one tiny tac bit in one corner and then the other after squaring it up.

Then I did the side bottom edge, then bent the sheet over one end edge and soldered a point about half way up, then the same on the other end, proceeding over the top and down to the other side edge, one end to the other working to keep everything squared up.

Once that was done, I completed the other sides lower edge.

That left me with a tank I can just set down over the original boiler.

So far......I'm thrilled with it!

Now I can go back and work on Porter#2 while waiting for my PSC parts to come in for this.

Later,
Dave

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  11:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whistling! dang man!

and antlers! lol

Philip

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  12:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding. Job well done. Dave you can be very proud.
ed

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  1:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Ed so far so good.
I'm feeling confident.

Philip....Antlers? Absoooolutley!

Need to decide if I want whitetail, Muley or I may make myself a set of Moose antlers.

After posting yesterday I had a Christmas moment.

Expection something else I went to the mail box and what to my wondering eyes did appear?

My PSC parts about a week early!

So I'm going on with this one.

Pics after the leaves have been gathered.

Edited by - Dave D on 11/14/2017 1:52:17 PM

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  08:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I won another round with the leaves in the yard, but the fight goes on.

We had some cold weather and some of my Maples are holding on to their withered leaves, so I know I'll have at least one more round with them before it's done.

As I said I received my parts early and I fitted the steam and sand domes and the base of the fill tube to my tank.

Wingrove used the original steam dome that had the whistle and pop valves attached for his fill tube, he removed the whistle and valves and fabricated a cover and handle and it looks perfect so I followed his lead but still need to make the cover.

Then I moved to the laser cut cab from Bill Banta.

I love these cabs they are a joy to work with.

I gave all the parts 2 washes of ink/alcohol mix drying them between washes with a hair dryer.

I sandwiched the cab front and sides together with the adhesive backing in place, to mark the edges of the area that will show when they are assembled, and staying just outside those lines so the paint would not interfere with the adhesive when I assembled them, I used Maroon colored craft paint and painted the areas with a bit torn from a make up sponge.

After drying I scraped some areas with my exacto .

I did a paint peel using graphite colored paint on the outer frames and then assembled everything.

The coal bin on the cab of course is made of plywood and like Wingrove I want that to be metal so using the same procedure as the tank, I made made one.

There are some funky angles on those side pieces and I don't have the tools to make the nice bends in the flat stock so I made it in 3 pieces so I could mock it up in paper and go back and make adjustments as needed.

Like I said I'm not very good with CAD, I can do just enough to be dangerous.

after soldering the pieces together...

I'm pretty happy as I got the specs so close it hangs on there without being glued for now.

The stack is a PSC part I have had forever attached to the original base.

I have a huge Radley Hunter stack and a Cabbage stack that I had a look at and may end up using but for now I like the looks of this one.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  08:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's opening day of White Tail season here in Michigan, Dave. I'm sure we could scare you up a set of antlers for the Behemoth! Looking great.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 11/15/2017 08:53:56 AM

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  10:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mock-up looks great. banta cab too!

Edited by - Philip on 11/15/2017 10:09:40 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  10:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave great work there. weathering on the cab excellent.

I really like the brass work and the details your adding.

Glad you managed to get out of the leaf pile.
Hmmm! Maple tress you should be making syrup in your spare time!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  10:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your brass work is great Dave!

The wood cab finish is cool too..

Waiting for more..

Edited by - Carl B on 11/15/2017 10:43:38 AM

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  1:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it. You taking orders?

Bryan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  4:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, This is looking good! Nice cab weathering.

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  5:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys, I'm having a lot of fun with this.

Karl Wisconsin's opens up next weekend.

Philip glad you like it so far.

Jerry I have too many hobbies as it is.

Bryan you never know... there are rumors swirling and things happening around work that are making many of us believe they are in the process of ending direct store delivery and warehousing our product. If that happens I'll be looking for new income.

Thanks Bill.

Carl here's an update.

I'm veering away from the original topside configuration to accommodate things I'd like on it.

I want the headlight where the bell is on the original, I'm hoping to give it a look like the headlights on RGS & D&RGW power, my non-logging favorites.

All I have here for a headlight mount is an ornate one that I don't want to use here. The bell bracket is enough ornate for me.

I don't want to wait for another PSC order at this time so I made one along with a bracket to raise the bell up off the boiler more.

Here a shot of what I drew up.

Here's the assembled bell with it's new bracket.

Then to the headlight mount.

Drawing glued to the sheet.

Here with everything that didn't look like a headlight mount removed. lol

In the mock up those lobes are being interfered with by the existing hand rail stanchions so I'll cut them off leaving the sides angled straight back.

Back to my shop for now.

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  9:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The generator is now attached I moved it to the back.

The headlight mounting plate is attached but the light is just sitting on it.

I soldered a set of Mule deer antlers to that, These are old stock backshop castings that I snagged off e-bay a couple years ago for just such an occasion as this.

I was going to remove one tine on each side to make them White tail but then it would have only been an eight point rack rather than a five by five....size matters, LOL

The bell is attached to the raised mount but that is just sitting in place yet.

With that headlight moved up it allows me to put junk on the front end in its old spot.

I need to find or fabricate a nice tool chest for it like I've seen in some prototype photos.

Later all

Dave

Edited by - Dave D on 11/18/2017 2:43:44 PM

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  8:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm watching your work very carefully. I have an old, actually it's new, brass HO Gem Baldwin 2-4-4-2 mallet sitting on my shelf. Very tempting. Yes it's a collectable and no it doesn't run well!! But!

bruce

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  10:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oooooo Brass....

Bruce don't do it!!

Save the brass.

Keep an eye open and you can snag one of these Mantuas off e-bay or a show pretty cheap.

But hey.... Who am I to tell others what to do with their property!

Glad your following along.

I was asked to come in and help out at work while on vacation.

That turned into 23.5 hours in 2 days. Sheesh!

Hope to have an update later today.

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  08:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Progress was slowed dramatically due to my work schedule and the Holiday.

However I did get some stuff done.

I installed the air compressors and their piping, and the bell was mounted.

Then I spilled some paint on it, I decided to do a colored tank rather than leave it black.

I went with a primer red, so it will look faded more after I dry brush it.

I also installed a TCS Wow Sound Steam decoder, man these things blow the Tsunamis out of the water!

I opened up the rear wall of the cab, and installed a 28mm speaker and baffle kit over that, to take advantage of the awesome sound.

Then I attached the bunker rear wall that I built to cover it, it forces the sound up and out pretty well.

I'll make up a load to hide it from view later.

Lots of wires and stuff in there, I'll have to install and dirty up the rear windows to block that.

I picked out an engineer figure and set him in there to have a look at him.

I'm thinking I'll need to make a view block to insert behind him to hide all that stuff .

Ditto with the fireman side.

I built a tool box from some scribed wood sheet, I think it was from Northeastern Scale Lumber, and attached that to the pilot and did some dry brushing on that as well.

Later,

Dave

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: new construction Topic Next Topic: BRIDGE BETWEEN THE MINES PART II/THE MINES  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000