Railroad Line Forums - Historical Kits?????
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Historical Kits?????
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Halifax explosion happened 100 years ago today Topic Next Topic: Wednesday morning lounge
Page: of 2

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  5:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last weekend I went to the Syracuse train show at the fairgrounds and picked up a structure kit. It's the Ramesy Station that Railroad Model Craftsman had in their magazine back in the early 80's. The vendor had two of them. I picked the "original", board and batten station. He had a second kit that is of the modernized version station with stucco. This weekend I went to the Batavia train show. Same vendor was their and he still had the second station, so what the heck, I bought that one too. He told me that these belonged to Harold Carstans of RMC. I sort of past it off. Well when I got home I looked into the kit and this is what I found.

First the kit's.

The one instruction sheet.

And here's the surprise. A typed letter from Tony Horn.

And an advertisement sheet. Of the promised tower.

For 35 years these kit's sat un-built. Now I guess the question is do I build them or keep them as collector items? I paid 5 cents over the price on the carton. A bargain for some history, wouldn't you say.

Bernd
A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  5:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say "build one of them in his memory!" and keep the other kit with the original letter.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 11/12/2017 5:23:15 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  5:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Your dilemma is understandable and sort of funny. A hysterical historical kit conundrum, so to speak.

It's also kind of neat.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  5:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If you leave them as is someday (hopefully a long way away) they won't know the significance of these kits. By building them, you will know where they came from and really enjoy the build and what they represent.
What a great deal. Hope you'll enjoy them...

Bob

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  5:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

If you leave them as is someday (hopefully a long way away) they won't know the significance of these kits. By building them, you will know where they came from and really enjoy the build and what they represent.
What a great deal. Hope you'll enjoy them...

Bob

Bob makes a good point.

I'd be inclined to build one and keep the other in the box with the letter. Maybe add a note describing what you did.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  6:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I'd see if RMC/ White River Productions had any interest in them. After all, these kits are their heritage.
Just my thought.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  6:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Railrunner130

Personally I'd see if RMC/ White River Productions had any interest in them. After all, these kits are their heritage.
Just my thought.

Maybe build them and write an article for RMC featuring the letter as well?

All that squealing reminds me of somebody trying to shear a piglet.
You get plenty of squealing, but very little wool.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  7:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, such a tough dilemma to be in. You have real piece of model railroad history there! And something that is very special to serious RR model history enthusiasts.
Frankly, I'm a bit envious... If mine, I would put the the two kits and the letter in a glass case for display'... Sure is one hell of a nice find'..
what ever you decide'..I'm certain you will enjoy having this gem'..

Ted

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  8:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 'History making purchase' is the fact that you only paid a nickel over the original price. That's historical! I'd build them, enjoy them, write a story and share the story with the world.

Jim

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  8:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin & Jim's suggestion appeals to me. I did a Google search and found the station. It still stands and looks pretty good.

Bernd

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  8:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating! For what it's worth, I like a combination of the ideas given here. I would build the kits, but certainly keep the letter and even the boxes. Also make notes of your build so this can all be tracked. Finally, when done, I think it would be a fascinated contribution to RMC someday. I'm sure there are those out there, especially those who knew who Harold Carstens was, who would enjoy the story.

Mark

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  9:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, Very cool story. Good luck with your decision.
ed

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  09:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice find Bernd.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  2:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that these kits existed. While working as Superintendent of Schools in Ramsey, my office was right up Main Street from the station. The photos you just posted show the total restoration done about 10 years ago.

I would build one and definitely keep that letter.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  3:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did a little bit of digging through my RMC collection of magazines.

The kit was first advertised in the June 1982 issue on page 95. The advertisement showed both original and modernized. They were advertised as "Limited Run". I went through issue by issue looking for a review in the "Test Track Products Review" column and didn't find any evidence of the kit getting a review ever. The other two kits shown in the flyer were also advertised. Then for several months no advertisement. The kit was advertised again in October 1982. I believe TK Models was a short lived business.

I am going to build both kits and keep the boxes and anything else that came along in the kits. When will they be built? Hard to say. I need to get out of the "modify power equipment" mode first. Been working on R/C pretty heavily lately. If I find any more info on these kits I'll post it.

Bernd

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  3:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Look in the March 1983 issue of RMC. On page 141, there is a review of the kit.

Chuck

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The Halifax explosion happened 100 years ago today Topic Next Topic: Wednesday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000