Railroad Line Forums - British coach vonversion.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 British coach vonversion.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Support timbers Jack Slip...........size ?? Topic Next Topic: Log unloader log pond.  

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  10:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am doing something I thought I'd never do, convert a British coach (4 actually if this first is a success, then more later as needed), and some engines, to American Kadee couplers, and upgrading the trucks or bogies as we call them in the UK. The coaches not only wobble a little as you can see in this uTube video I just posted:
https://youtu.be/ZQ7C5s2rbeM
but the couplers have faults of their own. The coach I show here in pieces, had the coupler fall off on one end. So in an effort to remedy this, I have ordered some Kadee NEM couplers for the loco, (No. 362 size 18, 19 and 20) and will use Kadee No. 5's for the coaches.

I will also plug the holes in the coach underbody, add a piece of tubing in the same hole of the truck to hold a screw, and screw them to the body, as right now, they have what I remember from the old Tyco days, a wobble, where they would 'wobble' all over the place. You can see it even in the video.

And while I have it in pieces, will add some passengers. I thought of lighting, but that is too much for me at this time.

I will not be posting much here on a regular basis, as I am still working on the Engine Shed on another post, but will post some updates as I go along when I want a rest from the other.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  5:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One thing to keep in mind: if you make both trucks fixed parallel to the bolster, you get 4-point suspension. Removing the flop from one end, but leaving a little side-to-side and fore-and-aft rock (3 point suspension, effectively) at the other is generally better at staying on the track.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  6:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

One thing to keep in mind: if you make both trucks fixed parallel to the bolster, you get 4-point suspension. Removing the flop from one end, but leaving a little side-to-side and fore-and-aft rock (3 point suspension, effectively) at the other is generally better at staying on the track.

I remember that, thank you for reminding me. It's been many years since I did anything to rolling stock. Also been wanting to start building a few cars soon.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  9:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had bought several types of kadee couplers, plus the NEM style for the engines, and after all the testing, I found the Kadee #5 works the best.

Before I was trying to add the coupler to the underside of the truck, where the Dapol coupler is located. But I found a normal #5 works best when attached to the top of the truck. I had thought originally that there would not be enough room, but there was. I did scrape a small amount away from the underbody ends just to play safe.

I also added some Bachmann sprung buffers. Easily done, just remove the Dapol ones with snips, file smooth, drill an .080" hole, insert and add a touch of ACC adhesive. Make sure the glue is on the outside of the frame, getting it on the inside will prevent the spring action from working

I added a 1oz lead weight on the underbody for a little more, but will look for some moldable lead to fit inside the coach on the floor. I'll also add some people later. But for now, I am happy to get this far. Only 3 more to go.

I ran the engine and a couple of coaches (one was an old MDC coach) for a test run and had no problems. At first, I had the truck de-rail, but saw the hose on the end of the coach was sticking down and hitting the coupler as it swung on the curve, so I had to cut that off. I'm trying to find some replacements for that hose, maybe brass?, but I am not even sure what it is called, except a hose. But, I am happy so far.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  9:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the hose I was talking about, circled between the buffers.

Tony Burgess

Seca River Matt
New Hire

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  05:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

The "hose" is just that, a hose to connect the Vacuum Brake system. Normally mounted quite high on non-corridor stock to avoid being damaged by the coupling chain, and for slightly easier access in a station with high-level platforms. There are any number of suppliers of replacement pipes in whitemetal/plastic/brass in the UK, (Dart Castings/Springside/etc./etc./etc.).

Might I suggest that you consider replacing the Kadee #5 with either a #32 or #142 overset shank, it might align a bit better?

An interesting little conversion though!

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  06:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seca River Matt

Tony,

The "hose" is just that, a hose to connect the Vacuum Brake system. Normally mounted quite high on non-corridor stock to avoid being damaged by the coupling chain, and for slightly easier access in a station with high-level platforms. There are any number of suppliers of replacement pipes in whitemetal/plastic/brass in the UK, (Dart Castings/Springside/etc./etc./etc.).

Might I suggest that you consider replacing the Kadee #5 with either a #32 or #142 overset shank, it might align a bit better?

Thanks Matt, I had been searching a little last night, and found one company that did some in brass. Can't find them now, should have saved it, but I did find Langley Models has some. I'd have to order 4 sets with several pieces left over I can use for scenery.

I'll look into the other couples, I may even have some, but I am not too worried about the slight misalignment. Looks worse in the blown up pictures.

Thanks for dropping in and posting. I appreciate it.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  06:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

[quote]Originally posted by Seca River Matt

Tony,

Thanks Matt, I just looked up Dart. They have what I want, and more. Will probably make an order with them. It's hard for us in the US to find good shops or companies like these in the UK, or anywhere else, mostly we go by word of mouth, so these recommendations help out a lot.

Much of my orders lately has been with Hatton's. They had just sent me the loco seen above, as well as many of the coaches and some busses. Thank you.

Tony Burgess

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  09:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Nelson;

Wow, I knew the PRR was the Standard RR of the world, but didn't know they interchanged with the British railway system.

Love the PRR boxcars in the background of your pics!

Smiling broadly

Horse

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  8:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CavalryTrooper25

Nelson;

Wow, I knew the PRR was the Standard RR of the world, but didn't know they interchanged with the British railway system.

Love the PRR boxcars in the background of your pics!

Smiling broadly

Horse

Thank you. Actually, the Brits did send an engine over here for a visit, and that originally was my thought of having on my layout, but I like the engines and some cars so much, I decided to get more, after all, it only make believe.

The Flying Scotsman came to America in the late 1960's. and for a long time, that was the only English loco I had. Then I just kept getting more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOHqycaNjM4

Tony Burgess

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  2:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Tony;

The Scotsman has been here at least twice, IIRC. There have also been other Historic European locos/trains in the U.S./Canada.

Horse

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2017 :  12:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tony;

The Scotsman has been here at least twice, IIRC. There have also been other Historic European locos/trains in the U.S./Canada.

Horse

I didn't know it was twice, thanks.

Tony Burgess

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  1:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Tony;

IIRC it was 69, and again in 72, for the Scotsman.

There was a German Kriegslokomotive (2-10-0), and a dozen goods wagons, that ran around here for a month or so as part of some NRHS event.

There was an Australian steamer down in Texas, when I was posted there in the late 70s. Didn't know it was around, until it flew past us. We were patrolling along a south Texas rail line, and this loco, and a few cars went past. Found out later, it was an Aussie.

Horse

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  5:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tony;

IIRC it was 69, and again in 72, for the Scotsman.

There was a German Kriegslokomotive (2-10-0), and a dozen goods wagons, that ran around here for a month or so as part of some NRHS event.

There was an Australian steamer down in Texas, when I was posted there in the late 70s. Didn't know it was around, until it flew past us. We were patrolling along a south Texas rail line, and this loco, and a few cars went past. Found out later, it was an Aussie.

Horse

Interesting. Thanks for the story. Must have been quite a site to see.

Tony Burgess

autocoach
New Hire

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  2:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting. My Southern Railway UK layout is modeled after in Padstow, Cornwall in the year 1947. A wormhole in time and space connects it to my Southern Pacific yard in Avon (Concord) California in the year 1950. See http://srandsp.blogspot.com/ for the mingling of 4 mm and 3.5 mm scale.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  4:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by autocoach

Very interesting. My Southern Railway UK layout is modeled after in Padstow, Cornwall in the year 1947. A wormhole in time and space connects it to my Southern Pacific yard in Avon (Concord) California in the year 1950. See http://srandsp.blogspot.com/ for the mingling of 4 mm and 3.5 mm scale.

hi Ken, I love Cornwall, rode my Yamaha 250 there from lancing many years back (like in the late 70's). Stayed at Lands End for 2 nights (I did 900 miles on that weekend). Rode another 300 miles around the area (and may have slid into Padstow, not really sure) It's a beautiful area. My parents got married there too.

But adding another element to a layout takes it out of the norm and more enjoyable. I like it because I don't have to be stuck on one road, I can get what I want, although I try to keep to the N&W and associated roads.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for dropping in.

Tony Burgess

Previous Topic: Support timbers Jack Slip...........size ?? Topic Next Topic: Log unloader log pond.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000