Railroad Line Forums - Ben Thresherís Mill
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Ben Thresherís Mill
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ITLA Builds - Sherwin Williams & Yaletowne Fab Topic Next Topic: Ben Threshers Mill
Page: of 2

RommelT
New Hire

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  9:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am new to this forum and would like to share a project that I have been working on. I had been searching for images of old New England mills that may have been in existence into the 1940ís. I came across some pictures of a mill located in Barnet, Vermont. The mill is better known as Ben Thresherís Mill. Further searching turned up a site where I was able to download actual drawings of the renovated structure. From a modeling perspective this structure was an ideal size. The structure has many changing elevations and mix of materials. I loved the stone foundation it sat on and the proximity to the stream and pond which would make for a interesting modeling scene. After downloading the drawings, I scaled them to HO scale and proceeded to work up some basic wall shapes from craft board. After taking some liberties I settled on the dimensions to begin cutting wood.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  9:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum. Your timing is very good! Check out this thread:
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49623

Edited by - Bill Gill on 10/23/2017 9:17:18 PM

RommelT
New Hire

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  9:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the link. I've seen this site and could not believe that someone else had similar ambitions. From time to time I had been reading Marty's Central Vermont blog. His and the White River Division by George Dutta have been an inspiration for me. My initial thoughts on modeling a rail line of New England was to model the B&M line. As I have learned more on railways of New England I will probably end up building a freelanced road with a mix of road names and places to capture the transition Era of New England.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  10:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome indeed. Two forum members modeling Ben Threshers mill. I guess one could say the (mill) race is on!

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

RommelT
New Hire

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  10:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry folks, just realized I've been creating multiple subject lines for the same topic.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  11:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum.

There is nothing wrong with two people doing the same mill.

Looking forward to your doing this.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  08:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RommelT

Sorry folks, just realized I've been creating multiple subject lines for the same topic.

I deleted that other thread. Here is what was posted by RommelT.

Was trying to upload some photos but keep getting an error that I must be logged in. I had some early photos of the basic walls mocked up to get a feel for the structure. Wish I had taken more photos of the preliminary planning. After ptogressingbthriugh through the build, I thought that this could possibly make for a very interesting kit. But that's just a far off thought at this time. As of this writing I am probably over 90% completely with the build with the exception of the pond dam and placing the completed model into a diorama. I had hoped to visit the actual mill to take photos to aid further development of the model but that will have to wait until next year.

Information on how to post a photo in the forum can be found at this link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110

RommelT
New Hire

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  09:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce,
Thank you for that link on posting photos. I'll have to edit my photo file sizes down to comply with the site requirements. Also thanks for deleting those duplicate topics I had created.

RommelT
New Hire

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  8:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Going to take a shot at uploading some photos. I had a few pictures of the actual building as it is today having been restored. I do not wish to get into alal issues with uploading someone else photos, however just Google Ben Thresher's Mill and there are tons of available photos, both old and new. So here we go, this first photo is showing the mill with its basic form.

RommelT
New Hire

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  9:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
o that first upload was fairly painless. I had to go and resize my photos but i do need to go back and do some cropping. Here's another look at what i call the back side of the mill. The mill sits on a slope so the gap you see here on the lowere edge of the building will later be filled in using stacked stone castings.

RommelT
New Hire

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  9:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little progress on the back side. The 1st floor has a large sliding barn door that also has a window mounted on the door. I'll later add the overhead track. On the renovated structure the door has a weathered look while the rest of the backside is freshly painted. Started fitting some of the stone foundation. Most of this will later be hidden by the grading sloping away from the building.

RommelT
New Hire

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  10:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

RommelT
New Hire

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  10:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This view is from the side facing the mill pond and stream. This section will enclose the penstock which will draw in water from the millpond under gravity. Coming off the corner of the structure would be the mill pond dam. A small enclosure would frame the entrance to the penstock inlet. It would be a wood structure framed with vertical slats, acting as a screen to filter debris from entering into the penstock. Water flows through the penstock into the basement where it drives a turbine, powering a series of belt driven drive shafts for equipment. This is probably the most difficult section to model. I wish that i had the chance to visit the prototype.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  11:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great modeling looking forward to seeing your progress.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  07:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're off to a great start. I like all the different textures and finishes: wood and stone, painted and unpainted siding.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

RommelT
New Hire

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  08:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback. This is my third attempt at scratch building. I was very pleased to have been able to find actual working drawings of the structure and also of how the structure sat in its surroundings. What struck me was the different textures and materials. My somewhat finished model looks more like the renovated building today. I will need to go back and make some attempt to weather it up so it may look like something that has been there for some time.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: ITLA Builds - Sherwin Williams & Yaletowne Fab Topic Next Topic: Ben Threshers Mill  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000