Railroad Line Forums - A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3
Page: of 23

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  10:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
Another fine choice for the build. Too bad you can only use one in the diorama. The night shot is perfect!
Dave

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  4:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, looks wonderful, but why aren't you lighting up some of those more interesting looking attic windows?

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  6:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job with your structure and lighting. I also agree with Greg, maybe at least one attic window lighted up. Who knows what lurks in the attic!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  7:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael, Bill, Jerry and Dave thanks very much.

Kevin- Thanks, but master? No way. Leave that to Sgt Bob.

Frank- Thank you, but blame Darlene. We were looking at Google images of European town buildings and we saw much of the same colors in use on the prototype. Hence, she said "I like that"!

Greg and Louis- Appreciate your compliments. As soon as I know which of the last two will be used, I may pursue that attic light idea.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  04:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl your a wizard when it comes to kit building bud.

Love it.

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  04:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it a lot.

Bryan

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  08:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good addition to first building - maybe I missed it but how many structures in dio? Number of kits?

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  4:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks you Wes, Bryan (welcome !) and Jim.

Mr. Oakleaf- the total number of "kits" is 6.... 5 background flats- the foreground building ( one of the two I have just finished) and a Faller clock, which I tackle in my next update.

I know that adds up to 7 - but one of the 5 background flats will be a bash of unused parts from the other 4!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  07:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The next project is a clock kiosk or "Uhrenkiosk" by Faller #180583. This small octagonal model will fit the scene perfectly. This should fit the bill for Sgt Bobs request.

Not that many parts here, four sprues with the usual pre-molded bold colors, which must be obliterated. Detail is just as good on these castings as the Vollmer product.

First brush painted coat on the walls, and then I needed to hollow out the surfaces behind the 4 clocks to provide illumination of their faces from behind. After some large holes were drilled, I used my Dremel high speed cutter to get close to the edges. I switched to a finer straight cutter for the last few millimeters. This stuff was much thicker than I thought.

Holes complete, now onto the faces....

I copied the supplied glossy originals, enlarged them slightly, then glued them to heavy clear acetate Then cut out that "sandwich" and glued in place. Like my new scissors? Excellent for tiny cuts on tight curves.

Ready to begin assembly, I trimmed the base perimeter to just meet with the walls. Holes drilled to pass light leads...

First walls together...corner angles met up pretty well..I really like this scrap piece of poplar to do styrene work on, instead of my usual glass. I don't know why...but Jerry (TRAINS1941) wants to know.

Sub assemblies ready. I am using a single warm white LED to illuminate the clock faces..glued to a piece of scrap strip wood.

Only 2" wide and 5" high to the top of the finial. Completed day and dusk...

Hmm...Perhaps I should add a light to the inside....too dark...thoughts?

Till next time....

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  07:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool - youíre a good gluer upper.

Light inside? I donít know, maybe one of those factory lights over exterior door. Just a thought.

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  07:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool - youíre a good gluer upper.

Light inside? I donít know, maybe one of those factory lights over exterior door. Just a thought.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  08:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

That certainly turned out nice.

Additional light? Unless there was a shop or some other reason for a light I'd say no need. It could distract attention from the clock. Once you've put the scene together you could add a light if you need to brighten things up a bit.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  08:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl nice piece of wood and not a drop of paint on it.
Your sure that's not your wife's cutting board?

Oh were talking about the clock tower. Excellent work.

I think that there should be a small light in the bottom.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 11/05/2017 10:38:06 AM

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  09:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOOKS GREAT

Bob

PS: I vote for a small light in one windows where the clock keeper is working.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  10:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That sure was a quickie. A light in the base, Iím sure youíll make a timely decision.

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000