Railroad Line Forums - A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3
Page: of 23

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  1:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Carl.

Don't sniff that glue it will make you drowsy! Carl, Carl he must have fallen asleep!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  4:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beautiful wiring job Carl on the coffee house'..Looks just great lighted up'..Sweet job'..

Ted

NejcRoskar
New Hire

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  6:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Carl!

Great idea about Christmas diorama, you're doing very well so far!

I built one a few years ago, it was located around 1900 in European village. Maybe just a though about lighting - I adopted the idea that John Defrayssinet used on his Bratton Flemming winter diorama:

http://www.009.cd2.com/bratton_fleming/front_page.htm

...so blue lighting for the night scenes.

Here's my diorama at daytime:

And night effect:

Regards from Slovenia, Nejc

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  7:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, Greg, Kevin, HŚkan, Frank, Jerry, Ted, and Nejc, thanks for your comments and compliments.

Greg & Kevin...Good name ideas, too bad I left that guy on the second story balcony.He just found out there is no way to get down.

HŚkan- I had read several complaints about the scale issues on these German made "town" buildings. Real estate space is as good a theory as any other.

Jerry- No sniffing here, it would elevate my blood pressure more than it already is!

Nejc- Welcome to to the thread and thank you. Sweet photos you posted, Very nice, excellent lighting moods...I admire your use of snow....

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  10:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
The Mrs. has great taste in building selection. You are bringing the models to life with you coloring and wiring. This is going to be a beautiful dio.
Dave

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  06:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
don't forget icicles.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  12:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Dave.

Bob- Sorry, I'd like to, but the negotiations for snow and ice didn't go well.

Edited by - Carl B on 11/01/2017 06:58:44 AM

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  10:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a good choice - the Vollmer kits are impressive.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  8:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're right Jim.

These are the first Vollmer kits I've ever done. IMO, you get a lot of bang for your buck..
The next ones are made by Faller (also my first), and they appear to be of similar quality.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  06:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just like last time, I could work on the roof of the bank as a sub-assembly. Same color as the last roof too. Almost finished here.

The bank is not a perfect square, but has a unique corner treatment in front, a 3 unit bay window with a hexagon turret. This was built up of many separate sections and was the most challenging piece. The fit of most of these pieces was good, and lined up OK, but not great. Plastic Putty cannot be avoided to cover seams or bridge gaps. The turret is just resting on top, not glued.

All paper curtains have been installed. Window "light boxes" have been built- attached and wired.

3 sides glued. Bottom floor ceiling has just one light installed, deliberately wanted this one much dimmer than the last building.

Resistor board built, soldered and installed, on foam core this time. No specific reason, just tried it, a bit easier to work with than the chipboard.

All sides together and glued. Roof just setting on top. Leaving it loose for any repairs that may be needed later. I must admit the very similar colors we used on windows, trim and walls is difficult to see and work with, but it's so subtle, I like it. Finished for now, no weathering here, waiting for a decision on which one of these two will be used. For myself I can't decide, but it's not my decision anyway.

Lights out...it works!

Till next time....about time... for a clock...

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  07:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Another outstanding job. I like the authentic-looking colors you chose. Very appropriate.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  07:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is looking good!

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  08:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
really looks great. you're a plastic master now along with wood. the lighting looks excellent too.

if you don't know where you're going any road will get you there.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  09:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl it looks great and Iím sure Darlene is thrilled. Iím just curious why you chose colors the same or close to being the same?

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  09:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl looking great. I'm sure Darlene is really pleased with all your hard work.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000