Railroad Line Forums - A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3
Page: of 23

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  5:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

Carl, If you can light up that clock face it would be a real eye catcher.

Bob

And make the hands move to!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  8:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank- Don't worry- I can figure it out.

Bill- Right!

Bob, Greg and Jerry- Thanks!

Michael- Darlene HAD to have a classy coffee place..and there will be little people having some outside too!

Bob and Jerry again- You guys are too much...Couple issues with that clock- it's just a flat disk with a paper face, and we already have a town clock planned for elsewhere in the scene, which WILL be lit. Sorry about the hands though Jerry, they will be "frozen in time". I think you'll like it.

Jim- Thank you. Neither. I use Weldon 3 (95% methylene chloride) as my adhesive of choice, and Loctite slow gel ACC.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  8:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Very nice build coming here!

And thanks for the adhesive info. I used my last drop of Tenax tonight.

Time to go hunt up some Weldon....

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  9:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Pete!

No need to look everywhere...here's where I picked up my Weldon 3:

http://www.theengineerguy.com/Weld-On-3.html

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  10:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i just knew this was gonna turn out great, and it did. awesome job on a plastic kit! is there gonna be any wood involved in this project?

if you don't know where you're going any road will get you there.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  11:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
Building looks beautiful! Nice job.
Dave

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2017 :  08:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why thank you Kevin- I'm trying to make plastic my friend
Wood involved you say? Good question-hmmm maybe, but it wouldn't be much.

Dave- thank you.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2017 :  10:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Thank you Pete!

No need to look everywhere...here's where I picked up my Weldon 3:

http://www.theengineerguy.com/Weld-On-3.html

Thanks, Carl!

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  06:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My pleasure Pete.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  07:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Mrs. wanted another structure built, then she would decide between the two. Another Vollmer kit, the "Bankhaus" #43771, is almost exactly the same height as the first building. Just like the last one, I must paint over the un-realistic "molded-in" colors, assemble and glue.

Over 200 parts on sprues again...oops, forgot to take a shot until after I had started a first coat...Ugh, that dark green will take probably 3 coats to cover. Detail is very good again. "Only" 50 window units in this one.

Trying a different construction sequence on this one: totally complete one wall at a time.... rather than paint everything, then assemble all the similar pieces. And no spray primer this time-too much paint found its way on to gluing surfaces....scraping it off last time became a hobby within a hobby! Brush painting only. It took me a very long time to get this far...but I like the Mrs. color combo choices...no weathering yet. And the original green DID take 3 coats to cover. Some of the windows were actually three windows molded together.

I've read that some kit makers like Vollmer were cheating a bit on their scale interpretations. So I did an experiment. I have my old friend Ensign back to check his height ( a bit over 6 HO scale ft.) in front of the current building under construction with a buddy upstairs. Hmm looks... OK. The upper floors seem to be squashed a tiny bit.

However in the last building, the coffee house, there is an issue. His head can barely fit through the door. (Where have I heard that before???)

And his buddy on the balcony. It appears some artistic license has been taken by our friends at Vollmer. I've read 1/100 scale was still being used in Europe, so could this be a leftover mold from that scale...passing for 1/87th?.... Oh well- not a deal breaker, just thought I'd pass it on.

Since I've been asked- I bought this adhesive for all my plastic-to-plastic joints. And I'm using a Flex-I-file applicator bottle with 25 and 27 gauge needles. Excellent. I paid $20.00 for a pint (16oz.) including shipping. Several dollars an ounce for the "modeling" versions (Tenax7R-Same Stuff-Plastruct Bondene) can be expensive. It will evaporate completely if left uncovered, because its 95% methylene chloride, the primary ingredient in many others. Hey, I've got a lot of plastic to do!

Till next time..finish it up and test fire the lighting. Happy Halloween!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  08:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Santa is kind of a short guy so you should be ok.

Good advice on the glue. When I ran out of hobby solvents I got a replacement that is not quite so instant and it's been nice to work with. I think the MEK I use and methylene chloride work similarly.

Good color choices.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  10:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Carl, your newest structure looks as interesting as the first one does.
Glad to see your Ensign is now on a European vacation, perhaps you should name the other guy Chevy Chase.

Greg Shinnie

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  10:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
or my idol, clark. but then you'll need to find a cousin eddie and a mister popodopoulous.

if you don't know where you're going any road will get you there.

Edited by - kebmo on 10/29/2017 10:42:11 AM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  11:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first building came out great! Very realistic in colors!
Nifty work on the lighting too.

On European model buildings I get the impression they are overall smaller than scale. Don't know why though. Perhaps so the average modeler could squeeze in as many houses as possible:-)

Håkan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  1:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl another excellent choice with structure and color. Build'er up.

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000