Railroad Line Forums - A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: stutz ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3
Page: of 23

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2017 :  6:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Looking good.

Hard to picture Santa and his sleigh landing on that roof!

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2017 :  8:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis- Thanks. I discovered that putty on a You Tube video of a fellow building a plastic airplane model. He swore by it!

Bill, Frank, Kevin, Dave, Frank and Ed, thank you all very much.

Jerry- Thank you, but no, it's not a piece of butcher block! It's a piece of 1 x 8 poplar, a cut off from a woodworking project I finished recently.
For some un-known reason I have started to use it as a base to work with styrene, instead of my normal plate glass.

Greg- Thank you, I'll let her know. Christmas tree up there? Hmmmm.

Michael- Appreciate the compliment. Santa would avoid all of these type buildings for sure- too many pointy fences!

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  3:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl -

Looking rather nice - high hopes for the putty on the corners. I've been looking for a solution to this corner thing. I was always leery of taking too much off the bevel by sanding.

How about you - did you sand the bevel on the corners?

Jim

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  8:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jim. Early results on the putty are encouraging, I'll talk about it on my next update on Wednesday

I do sand the bevel on my corners ever so lightly. Getting excellent 45 degree angles is always a challenge..Hence the putty.

steamlocodog
Section Hand

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  03:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only two months to go until Christmas, Carl. Nice start to a "different" kind diorama for you. I can't wait to see more.

Jeff in Los Angeles

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  06:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jeff. Different is good for me. I'm trying to break my routine of familiar subjects....

And just what I need, more deadline pressure!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  07:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The model will feature several upper floor rooms lit up and the bottom floor fully illuminated. No interiors will be seen however. Vollmer recommends having each window with an enclosure and its own light. They sell plastic versions, but I built my own from folded and glued cereal box card. The technique also nearly eliminates light leakage, because the entire inside of the model is NOT lit. So the black paint job wasn't really necessary.

I simply drilled a hole in the top and glued in a warm white pre-wired LED. I glued the boxes against the perimeter of the windows. I made a few too large, and they were interfering with the other walls' boxes, so I had to cut them down. All windows have curtain images either provided by Vollmer, or from the internet. Here the four sides are still only rubber-banded.

I built a circuit board out of .50 chipboard for all the resistors, and cut slots for the pass through of wires to be soldered to the copper tape. The black & white hookup wire brings the main power up from below. This will sit just under the roof on some strip wood cleats.

I glued three walls and installed some corner braces. I also slid in a piece of black foam core to act as another brace, and it also holds two LED's to light the first floor.

The four sides are now together, and I finished up the wiring. I left the LED wires long to make the work easier. Yes, I know which one is which!

Just set the roof down, not glued because I have to wait until all lighting is completed in case of a failure.

I used that new "Plastic Putty" product and I must say I like it very much...oops, have to touch up a few spots. It has the consistency out of the tube like a thin toothpaste, and is pure white. The instructions indicate you can mix paint with it, but I haven't tried that. Have to get more comfortable using it first. And it dries very quickly. You can smooth out your work with a paint brush dipped in water, that worked well.

I just realized I've never shown the back before.....

A test fire for the LED's and checking for light leaks.

Till next time....the executive producer has another idea.....

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  09:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yikes, looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory BUT the end result looks saucy.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  09:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lights! Camera! and more action to come!

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  10:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking REAL GOOD !!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  11:25:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, you light up my life!
Looks beautiful.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  1:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Lights look fantastic. Sure is a classy place for coffee; where I go we complain that the floor needs to be replaced, you don't want to look at the ceiling too closely, and no more than two or three tables match.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  1:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Blinded by the light"

Looks great Carl.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  1:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, If you can light up that clock face it would be a real eye catcher.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  3:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Oh, WOW!

What's adhesive did you use, MEK, Tenax?

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000