Railroad Line Forums - A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3
Page: of 23

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  9:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A wonderful life that's looking a lot like Christmas indeed'. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!

Very nice gesture you're doing for your wife Carl. Takes a long time for a daughter to recover after loosing their mother'...
Best wishes on that front'..

Ted

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  10:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Greg- Excellent idea on the skaters, and Darlene likes it too. Except, she reiterated her concern that she did not want any "attention grabbing" away from the street scenes. "
Carl, any figures of skaters sitting down, lacing their skates? One or two skaters on the ice close to the wall will blend in with the general scene with the folks strolling above the wall and not detract from the scene.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 11/30/2017 08:43:58 AM

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  06:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This whole scene just gets me so excited for Christmas.

I do hope you know we will be expecting another build like this for Christmas next year

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  10:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, Mike, Ted and Wes...thank you.

Rich- Yes sir- it was fun sometimes...other times not so much. (like 400 individual stones!)

Mike- Power supplies for lighting don't need to be expensive or sophisticated. Don't throw them out if they can be re-purposed. Just read those specs...

Bill- Just for fun, I did a search on LP skaters. There were no figures lacing up their skates, and all of them were dressed for the modern era.. All our LP's are from the 1900's sets.

Wes- Glad you're excited for Christmas... but you must be kidding! Why not build your own in "O' scale for your family?

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  2:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, The ladies skirts are so long that you might not be able to tell they aren't actually wearing skates. For the men you could probably cheat by gluing them to the "ice" and then
extending a short piece of .008 in wire (or smaller) in front and in back of their boots to look like skate blades. A longer piece glued to the bottom of an upraised foot would work too.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  3:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I think those are all good ideas regarding making figures look like they are skating, but without Carl's wife Darlene, buying into these late coming suggestions.
I think in the meantime we are all skating on very thin ice here.
Perhaps next year the water will freeze over, and Carl will have more time to ponder skaters.

Greg Shinnie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  3:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill- These are all super ideas. Thatís what I love about the forum, getting invaluable info and valid suggestions. But, this might be a future addition because my next project is already roughed out and ready for the bench! Besides, there just isn't time. The "due" date is December 4th!.

Greg- Bingo !

In case you didn't know it, you guys are the best!

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  5:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The feeling is mutual.
ed

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  9:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Appreciate that Ed.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  10:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, but with your skills, how long would it take to glue some wire to a couple a pairs of boots'...I have to go with Bill on this. Once Darlene sees the skaters, she might like them'... I'm searching for 19th century ice skaters for you

Ted

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  08:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm searching for 19th century ice skaters for you

That's nice of you Ted, let me know if you find any...

However, while working in the area I came across this...

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  10:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just catching up again, Carl.
Wow! That is an amazing diorama! I am speechless.
I can hardly wait to see the finished results!

Jeff

Edited by - JeffB on 12/01/2017 10:08:44 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  11:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

I'm searching for 19th century ice skaters for you

That's nice of you Ted, let me know if you find any...

However, while working in the area I came across this...

I also spent some time yesterday looking for Victorian skaters but no luck. Carl if you spend much more time putting this project off till completion you'll be on thin ice.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  11:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three days to go before you fall through the thin ice!!

Better keep Darlene happy and wait until the pond freezes over next year!!

Besides that it looks fabulous!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  1:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl

What an absolutely great thing to do for your wife. I love it and your workmanship looks super. Thank you for sharing. You have definitely spread some Xmas cheer my way!

TomO

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000