Railroad Line Forums - A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3
Page: of 23

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  08:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is turning out to be a masterpiece!
with wood.
really a beautiful diorama. is this gonna be a holiday decoration or a permanent member of the house?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  09:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheeses, that's looking Gouda!
Keep up the great work, Carl.

Greg Shinnie

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  09:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[cheesy]

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  09:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl you have a small investment in peeps. I'll have to agree with Darlene the street looks better with a brushing of earth tones. Speaking of tones, I mean tunes, are you going to have a quartet serenading the little folk?

Well this looks like one diorama that won't get sold.

That Greg is pretty sharp with his cheese jokes.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/22/2017 09:46:19 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  10:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!! Carl that is really coming to life.

Excellent job with those stands and little peeps!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  11:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Don't get me wrong, you are doing a SUPER job of this diorama BUT, there is always a "but" isn't there.

I've been modeling for about 75 years, maybe 80, and in that time period I have had this "thing"
happen to me. I start off with a simple project and as I work on it new ideas pop up and before
I know it I have a major construction going on, and also usually, I have no room to keep it.

Are you headed that way?????

Whatever, it is still looking very good, keep it up.

Cheers,

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  6:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jim, Kevin, Greg, Frank, Jerry, and Bob. The project seems to be going a little less Christmas and a little more urban.

Kevin- you asked... a holiday decoration or a permanent member of the house?
Answer: Yes.

Frank- Wrong about the quartet singing....Right about it never being sold.

Bob- The same thing DOES happen to me! New ideas crop up- & the issues of re-doing an area, changing colors, switching structures...it's always an agonizing compromise to say "Okay enough!"

We downsized dramatically recently, and I sell most of my dioramas to make room for the next ones! But as I said to Frank- this one will not be sold- Whenever we can't maintain it anymore, we're passing it to our grown daughter as a gift- for her future Christmas celebrating...and to remember her Dad's whacky hobby....

Edited by - Carl B on 11/22/2017 6:59:57 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  11:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Carl', This is looking so cool'. The new street color matching that spectacular wall is perfect'. The extra unrecognizable pieces are probably candy and confections. I don't feel that this is not a RR build. It could be easily be placed on a layout'...
Happy Thanksgiving Carl'..

1/4 G 48 :<)

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 11/22/2017 11:29:03 PM

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  10:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Carl the only word that comes to mind is Fabulous.

PaulS
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  10:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
Just getting caught up on your latest creation. It is coming together beautifully and will provide a wonderful miniature winter scene, as intended. AND your creativity and problem solving here shows no bounds!!
Have a happy thanksgiving and keep up the fantastic modeling,
All the best,
--Paul

Edited by - PaulS on 11/23/2017 10:29:02 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  6:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank very much Ted, Dave D and Paul!

Ted- I never thought of candy for the market stands- thank you.

Dave D- Okay I'm blushing.

PaulS- Appreciate your kind words. Great to hear from you. Thankfully, I haven't had too many problems on this one- but who knows? It ain't it over till it's over...

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  6:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

I like the new, browner color for the street. Now that I see all the buildings, the street and wall assembled into the scene I like the colors you chose even more. A very evocative diorama. Iím looking forward to what you do with the lights.

I hope you are having a great thanksgiving.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  7:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking fantastic!
Cheers,
dave

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  8:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and Dave!

Mike- I had a yummy Thanksgiving...hope you did too...Glad you like the brown-...I THOUGHT my wife would ask me to change it after we looked at more pix of Europe- guess that worked!

The lights are becoming more numerous than I originally planned (again!) I'll be showing a test fire of all the LED's installed so far very soon. But before that, I found more details I need to add to enhance the "atmosphere"...

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  06:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope everyone had an enjoyable and peaceful Thanksgiving !

The background flat buildings are now tied down to the shelf. I used a machine bolt and nut drilled thru the floor of each flat and right thru the shelf. You can see the metal bolt heads underneath the 1/4" ply here.

I didn't want to rely solely on glue alone to hold these flats in place.

Finally moving on to details or... "oh, by the way" stuff... We chose the Jordan Old Farm Wagon to deliver Christmas trees to a street vendor. Of course with Jordan being out of business- they can be rare and expensive. I had to wait for this to come up on Ebay for weeks, and then actually win the auction! The contents....

The parts include the wagon carcass, wheels, springs and axles, and two horse and driver sprues. The horses do have minor differences. The crude quality drivers have separate arms, legs, torso, head and hat.

The assembly....some of the smallest pieces I've ever seen. But this isn't my first Jordan...I know what's ahead. Using CA in gel form. I painted some things before assembly, others are painted after gluing, specifically all the undercarriage hardware.

Almost finished both horses and the wagon. I don't really see the need for both horses, the load will be light. Just some Christmas trees will be in the wagon.

Finished for now, using a single horse. I assembled the driver, but he doesn't stack up to the quality of a Preiser figure...besides he wouldn't be up there while dropping something off..so the seat is empty.

To make the Christmas tree load for the wagon and street vendor, I used Faller Decorative Hedges #181234, a flexible netting material, and cut it down to cone shapes, with florist wire as a trunk.

I also found these neat bicycles made from .010" etched brass, made by Gold Medal Models

8 total on the sheet, 4 modern style and 4 vintage. Even a bike rack. Paint, bend the handlebars and foot pedals, and there you have it.

Till next time....starting to get anxious, deadline approaching, it's next week!...

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000