Railroad Line Forums - A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3
Page: of 23

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  3:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, it's amazing what a true model craftsman will do to create realism. When little people should wander under the bridge, there is no fear of a cave in' The wall came out absolutely spectacular. Fit and finish is excellent'..A truly masterful job'..

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  3:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Your wall and your street are each simply wunderbar. Together, they are fantastic.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  4:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent stone wall. The results show that the time put into it was well spent.

Jeff S.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  4:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jschumaker

Excellent stone wall. The results show that the time put into it was well spent.

Jeff S.

What Jeff said!

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  7:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for your compliments Bill, Frank, Greg, Jerry, Dave E., Dave D., Bob, Dave G., Ted, Michael, Jeff, and Pete.
Welcome Jeff S. and Pete- great to have you along!

It was a major challenge to stay focused and on target ! I wasn't sure it was going to work though...
I initially thought the individual stones should have been smaller- but at normal viewing distance- it just melds into one long wall!

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  7:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you're doing a helluva job...
jeez.

if you don't know where you're going any road will get you there.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  9:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kevin!

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  05:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the update Carl

The stonework is beautiful.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  2:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I don't know how I missed this thread until now. Superb modelling Carl. Thanks for sharing...

Bob

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  7:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Wes!

Bob- Appreciate that- great to hear from you!

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  09:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congradulations on your retirement, I bet your busier now than ever. Thanks for taking the time to document your Christmas diorama, lots and lots of neat ideas you have done. I'll be peaking in once in a while.

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  09:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent modelling, Carl!

Jeff

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  4:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Lynn. Indeed retirement is enjoyable and your right on- "other things" have occupied me more than expected! I didn't expect many would follow a non- railroad project, but it looks like I was thankfully, wrong.

Thanks Jeff.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  07:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After studying the "work-in-progress" pix I transferred to her I pad, the Mrs. decided the gray street was not acceptable, and should be a brownish color, to better blend with the background structures. OK... I whole-heartedly agree, so I dry brushed over the gray with the same tones as in the stone wall.

Moving on to details...I received an order of warm white LED street lights and they look good, but needed painting. I used a wrought iron color, then a green dry brushing. The tube is metal & the base is plastic, which is loose, so you can adjust them as much as 2 3/4" high or shorter. Also, the first coat of paint on some Faller park benches, which are again pre-colored, but for a rainbow?

I'll be feeding power to the street lights with these resistors soldered to the 14 g. power busses I ran around the perimeter. One directly to the black (negative) buss, and one to the other side of the resistor on the white (positive) buss. I'm up to 42 lights so far on this project...

Finished the finicky little Faller benches, and received an order of Preiser little people dressed in vintage winter attire and relaxing..Just dropped in here for the photo-op....
Fake brick paper in back to cover a mess...

A feature that the Mrs. wanted early on, was a few outdoor markets to be included. She chose the Faller 180614 flower and cheese stands. Not having a clue what's inside, I was shocked when I opened it..

There are hundreds of parts to mimic round and square clay pots, a bag of foam flowers, cheese wheels & breads etc . I grabbed many paints and began attacking this mini-beast.. Un-recognizable pieces were also included and identifying them is difficult. Only numbers & arrows are in the instructions. Some of these I never figured out, and there are multiples of nearly everything..

The "wood" stand frames are extremely thin and fragile styrene. I finished the "cheese" and "flower" stand frames. Two stands looked odd, so I copied the dimensions of the frame exactly and made a third stand entirely out of 4X4 stripwood. (Finally some wood Kebmo!) The are plenty of extras to populate the third stand. The base is a wood block former, with vertical siding wrapped around it.

Finished all three, with an LED mounted just underneath the top crease of each canvas. Wires are run down and glued to a back corner vertical support. A hole will be drilled in the street to attach to the power busses underneath. And now I'm up to 45 lights...

More pre-painted Preiser people have arrived, and I will only repaint duplicates. I had some un-painted ones that are part of a "tradespeople" set, that will be used for the market stand vendors, with proper white aprons. I used 3M self stick squares and craft sticks to hold them. These 8 took me about 4 hours to finish.

Till next time....Happy Thanksgiving! Time is getting short...much more to do......

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  07:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great update, it keeps getting better.

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000