Railroad Line Forums - A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3
Page: of 23

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  6:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great way to build a wall...Awesome!!
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  6:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, those arches are key to the stone bridge. Patience my man, you got patience.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  7:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Appreciate the compliments Bob, Bill, Jim, Jerry, Dave D, Greg, Louis, Kevin, David Clark, Dave Guffey, and Frank!

And.....
Jerry- Yes.... that's how they built the Great Wall of China.

Dave D- Welcome, good to hear from you!

Greg-

Louis- You're welcome. Good luck with your ovens!

David Clark- Welcome! Casting a single piece would have worked, but this wall has two curves in it, so I needed the flexibility of stone-by-stone to carefully keep everything intact. One piece may have crumbled from so much handling...In my next update you'll see what I mean. Trust me, I looked far and wide for something commercial to use instead.

Frank- Patience? Yes, but only in SOME areas. I have NO patience for supply vendors who promise speedy delivery and don't follow through! Oops, did I actually type that ?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  8:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Carl. I like the colors.

Looks like some of your early attempts were unsuccessful but in the end you were not foiled.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  9:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
' Carl, you are indeed a (TRUE MODEL RAILROAD CRAFTSMAN)..'Can't find it, go ahead and make it yourself. BRAVO Carl'..

Ted

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  2:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Mike! Yep, experimenting is the only way to PROVE it to myself..Probably my stubborn engineering background.

Ted- Thank you so much. I guess that's the mantra from here on out. I'm realizing that what I thought was "available", many times, just isn't.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  07:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I installed balsa wood scraps vertically to hold up the "street" at the desired height. The balsa is super light and has enough "vertical strength" once glued. Also installed a strip for the bottom edge to push against. The stone wall needed this so I could have more glue surface. Painted the water area a deep blue black first coat. The arched piece of chipboard is a test for a problem that I'll discuss in a bit.

Just about finished laying stones. It took over 400 to finish it out.

In place for clearance and checks.

Applying strip wood cleats to hold it in place against the edge of the street.

Using another row of blocks on either side of the top, to create a buffer for pedestrians.

On top of those, covering both sides is a cap block. These are from my un-tinted first run from the single Hydrocal sheet I poured, cut into the exact size I needed.

To create mortar, I pushed Hydrocal powder into the joints, then applied a 50/50 alcohol & white glue mix. Added a few drops of gray to it too. Some of the powder just evaporated and had to be re-applied. Some I left out deliberately.

I toned everything down with some washes made from the individual colors I already used. Regular strength black A/I in places, others had a brown A/I. This wall was frustrating, had a zillion steps and took way too long. But I just had to....Darlene wanted it all the way around! I said no.

An un-foreseen problem came up while viewing this wall in place from all angles. You MAY be able to see inside, albeit it would be very dark, or not visible whatsoever. Just in case, I built this quick and cheesy "cradle" out of chipboard, to hold a sheet of paper I printed of a brick wall I found on the net. Realism was un-necessary here. I shaped it in the form of a "cavern", channeling water under the block.

I also attached a flat back wall.

In a completely unreal blowout of light, deliberately aimed at the tunnels, you can see the paper. To see the ceiling would require you to miniaturize yourself and walk inside...be my guest.

Till next time... .

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  09:01:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, you've found a way to sooth the bridge over troubled waters with your printed brick background. Looks good even if mostly you won't ever be able to see it :)

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  10:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, your stone wall looks fantastic.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  10:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, your stonewall looks rock solid.
That space behind your stone arches looks like the perfect place for the phantom of the opera to hang out in.

Greg Shinnie

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  11:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that is some beautiful work.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  1:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work and great results!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  2:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
To see the ceiling would require you to miniaturize yourself and walk inside...be my guest.

Very very nice.

I like your solution to the problem, I'm not certain I'd have thought of that.

Well done Carl

Edited by - Dave D on 11/19/2017 2:36:08 PM

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  2:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking really nice.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  2:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
The base with the wall and cobblestone street is one very impressive scratch build. Fantastic!
Dave

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000