Railroad Line Forums - A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3
Page: of 23

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  08:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now thatís a plan - nice job.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  09:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
Love your work and very impressed with your speed in putting this beautiful diorama together.
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  09:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wait a minute - what are you going to do with the other 4-sided building?

Aside from the omission of the other 4-sidded building you're doing a dang fine job of street paving. Now aren't you glad you didn't make it 8-feet long?

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  11:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been following along in the background, Carl. It's impressive.
Jeff

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  1:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Greg, Jerry, Ted, Bob, Jim, Dave, Frank and Jeff.

Greg- Drywall mud is always around the house...I can think of a lot of things to do with it!
I made the power busses that way because I wasn't sure when I was going to stop on adding more lights!
Over-engineered for sure, but it makes the soldering much easier, similar to layout power drops...

Frank- the "other" building is sitting on a shelf- left out and feeling sad.
And I am certainly glad this thing is only 2 feet long!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  07:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A curving triple stone arch wall in front is the next major scenic element, and it's going to be large, covering nearly the entire width of the dio. I couldn't find anything commercially, so I challenged myself to create it from scratch, block by block. I knew it would be a HUGE undertaking. Besides, it has 2 opposite curves in it!

I first made a 10" square of crumpled common kitchen aluminum foil framed with wood, to pour a sheet of Woodland Scenics lightweight Hydrocal. This was an experiment to see how thin I could get the sheet and, to check if the foil "rock" impressions would look any good.

My ratio was 10 tbsp Hydrocal to 3 1/2 tbsp water, that quantity just filled this form. No color tinting. I added a drop of dishwater detergent to the mixing water to help on release. I did not "wet" the foil.

I also built a separate frame with multiple rows of the exact height of the blocks I wanted for the front wall below the street. More experiments on the right side included very thin cap blocks and pilasters.

This time, I tinted the mix with some brown color paint- it only darkened it some. These forms took 2 batches of Hydrocal.

Once dry, I separated the rows, which broke into various length chunks, and chopped them into blocks. Each block is a scale 4 ft long x 18" high, or 5/8" x 3/32". A long, boring, repetitive, dusty and crumbly endeavor. The foil peeled away cleanly, and the impressions were good. Unfortunately, some cap blocks I poured were so thin they couldn't stand up to the most careful handling. Trashed. And the entire first frame pour I made was too thin, it was mostly trashed too. Oh well, sometimes, you just gotta try.

The front wall under the street will contain 3 arches. I am making the sub-wall from 4 laminations of common poster board, a total of .10" thick...- to give me a strong, but flexible backer for the "stones". I drew the arches by starting with a compass for the top curve, then just carried the left and right lines straight down. I just eye-balled their sizes. The wall is about 22" long and a bit over 2" high.

The stones around the arches themselves were too small to cast or cut individually, so I built curved forms to contain drywall mud. I was hesitant to use Hydrocal for this, maybe unnecessarily. The forms are just some thick styrene sheet. I will carve the stones in when dry.The foil was only being used to contain the mess.

Getting the soupy compound into the forms was a challenge.

Compound dried overnight and shrank (it's primary weakness), extra was added. After that dried, forms removed.

Scribed in the arch stones with the dental tool, painted and A/I stained.
For the main wall, I painted about 20 individual blocks at a time 5 different tans/beiges, then started the "choose, align and glue" procedure, in a brick pattern..I'll cook up some mortar later on...This will take quite a while....

Till next time....more of the "wall"

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  07:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a GREAT start on that wall

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  07:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lot of ideas + Lot of experimenting = Nice Wall! Good colors on the blocks.

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  07:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It keeps getting more interesting, applaud your skills.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  08:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that really looks great Carl. Coloring is right on.

I wonder if that's how they built the great wall in China??

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  08:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just caught up on your thread Carl.

Wonderful work on everything!

This wall looks very cool.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  09:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, deck your walls with lots of arches Fa la la la la la la la
Looks like a lot of work, but the results look worth it.

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  10:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic progress on your project Carl, and your how-to on the curving stone wall arch, and the blocks, helped me on how to built myself some Beehive coke ovens. I can already see how the oven front could look. Thanks for posting.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  1:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow....
the wall is looking great!
tough way to do it, but the results speak for themselves.

if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  1:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, that stonework is an impressive undertaking. I know I would just cast a flat piece and carve the bricks in but you went and made each piece individually! Good on you! The look with the buildings in place holds good tidings for what is to come. Can't wait.
Cheers,
Dave

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000