Railroad Line Forums - A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 A "European Christmas" Diorama Build Thread
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3
Page: of 23

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  06:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See the next post.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  06:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello again friends. I retired on June 30 this year and am embarking on something totally new for me. It is a major detour from my traditional wood structure/water's edge modeling. It is a Christmas display diorama, set in a European town in the "old days". It is a fun project with no prototypes to be copied, but is a fanciful-imaginary place. It will feature HO scale Faller and Vollmer European buildings, plenty of little people and other details.

It is not "railroad themed", but will feature an urban scene with a block and cobblestone street, outdoor markets, commercial businesses with upper floor apartments, a long stone arch wall, even some water. The base dimension shall be 12"x 24", to properly fit in specific place in our home during the Holidays.

This idea has been percolating for years, and fulfilling a promise, I will finally build something "for" my wife of 43 years, Darlene. At her request, she is the "executive producer" of the project- controlling budget (which is already thru the roof), deciding on paint colors, layout, buildings, scenery, accessories, little people and mini-scenes. ALL decisions will be hers. Of course, I will use my abilities to construct it as realistically as possible, and only inserting my opinion at the "appropriate" times.

It will be lit with nearly 50 LEDS illuminating the windows of the buildings and street lights. It would be the biggest lighting project I've ever attempted. Shoppers, children and passers-by. The background will have large multi-story buildings. Weathering will be very modest. I hope that I can capture some really interesting night shots....

There isn't a single wood structure or detail on the list so far, there's a lot if styrene. Many details are also plastic. It's basically masonry type surfaces everywhere... I hope to learn more about this type of modeling, and working with it too. This will take a good while as usual, hopefully to be ready in time for Christmas. Wish me luck. Anyone interested?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  09:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me. Are you acquiring buildings now or have you been stocking up?

Should be a fun sleigh ride.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  09:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm pullin' up a chair for this one. this is gonna be a great ride.

if you don't know where you're going any road will get you there.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  09:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very interested Carl! Outstanding Diorama from the sound of it. Doesn't need to be railroad related in my book, when just the thought of a scene being constructed such as this is being modeled. Looking forward to your progress throughout your build, and also hoping for a Christmas showing.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  10:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, Sounds like a GREAT project to me, I'll be following along. Christmas is my favorite time of year anyway.
Many years ago I did something similar, I hope you don't mind me posting some photos to
your build string. Mine was built to 1/32 scale (figures about 2 3/8" tall). I found a
few figures in the right period clothing but I had to modify most using epoxy putty. All
vehicles were modified metal kits and all else was scratchbuilt.

Cheers,
Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  10:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh boy, I hope it doesn't snow on your project.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  10:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snow or no snow, this is going to be fun!
Dave

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  11:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, I've been looking forward to seeing this project, ever since you first talked about it awhile back!
This will be a Christmas treat for everyone here on the forums to watch.
Thanks for sharing it with us!

Greg Shinnie

Skeeterbait
Section Hand

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  11:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in... I've thought about doing something along these lines myself. What are you planning to use as a power supply for all those LEDs?

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  1:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho Ho Ho boy! this will be fun to watch!

Edited by - Bill Gill on 10/15/2017 1:19:00 PM

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  1:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very nice

Frank The Cowboybilly

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  1:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm coming along for the ride too, trying to find a seat in the front row! Thanks for sharing
Rich

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  1:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a jolly of a good time coming up'..

Ted

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  3:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear those sleigh bells ringing and jing- jing- jingling too! I'm coming on this one.

Jeff

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  4:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anybody provide some snow in Tampa.
ed

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: GIMPing a scene Topic Next Topic: DSP&P Reefer in HOn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000