Railroad Line Forums - Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fine Art Techniques - Pastels & Inks with Underpai Topic Next Topic: More New Stuff on the F&SM
Page: of 28

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  3:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! Louis, Ted, Dave & Rich, for your encouraging comments and for your interest!

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  4:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well I have managed to get a little more done to my Dunn's.
Once you have completed building your trestle bents, you need to check their height against the retaining wall ends.
I used some mini quick clamps to hold the retaining wall to a small square.
And then set my bent on the square to see how they matched up.

As you can see in the photo my first side of the retaining wall lined up perfectly in height with the trestle bent.

The second one needed a little bit more removed on the right hand side.

After checking those heights I was now free to glue my 3 retaining walls together.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  4:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I could now start to figure out how exactly I was going to layout my version of this scene.
George has packed a lot of great looking details into this scene, I want to try and rearrange things a bit to allow the viewer to see them a little better.
I love the trestle and the crane area in this kit, so I'm going to try and open this area up a bit more.
One of the ideas I had to do this was, to eliminate the hill roadway that enters down into Dunn's.
Instead of this roadway, I would build what's called the little stone dynamite storage building into the side of an embankment.
This would require cutting some castings used for this building.
Instead of a peaked roof, my dynamite storage building will have a slightly sloped roof on it now.

I also needed to lower the front wall of this stone structure, so I cut the top coarse of stones from it.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  4:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This kit includes some cardstock templates of the floors of some of the structures and details like the weigh scale platform.
I used these, and made up others for the structures that did not have one, to assist in helping me create my own scene of this kit.
This first photo will show you what I'm talking about regarding the stone dynamite storage structure.
I would also use what's now called the tool shed as a scale house beside the scale platform.

I'm not quite certain how the larger open shed was used in a operation like this one, but I have also thought about combine this larger open shed with the 2nd larger building( the one with 2 garage type doors) built under the second storey of that larger open shed.

It would be nice to hear what others think about these possible changes.

That's all I have for now.
Thanks for having a look!

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 10/15/2017 5:18:57 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  5:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, since you asked, the "Possible Changes" look like a done deal to me!

Drive On!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  5:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

I think what you've already done with that small stone building makes sense and looks better. It's hard for me to picture the new layout on my phone but I assume whatever you do will look great.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  9:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, One thing I've heard about sheds like the little dynamite one you've nestled into the embankment, or one where gunpowder was made or stored, is that many of them
were built in a way that if there was an explosion, the roof and any unburied walls would be blown off/out and away from the rest of the complex.

Right now the shed roof slopes toward the middle and the unsupported front stone wall faces the center so any explosion would send debris right into the middle of everything.

Visually probably not as attractive scene if the two short walls sloped toward the rear of the building and the rear wall was exposed while the front one was buried behind an earthen berm,
but just mentioned it as a (small) thing to consider.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 10/15/2017 9:17:44 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  10:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Pete, Mike & Bill, for your posts & for your thoughts.

Bill, so I guess what you are saying is, my stone building placement isn't exactly in a dynamite location.
Well then, I guess it's back to the planning department for me.

Greg

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  10:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

You might consider reversing the sides of the "dyno" shed, adding that one course of stone back on the top over the door and sloping the roof backwards, which would have the added benefit of draining water away from the doorway. A small dirt berm between the shed and the rest of the facility would address Bill's concerns and would not impede the flow of dynamite into or out of the building-- the sticks are what, a foot or so long? Leave enough space for a wheelbarrow and you should be good.

It's worth some thought.

But remember: Rule One Governs.

Pete
in Michigan

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  12:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see what Bill means.

I'm sure you will figure a better way to do this.
Bents and stone work looks perfect.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  1:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Thanks! Pete, Mike & Bill, for your posts & for your thoughts.

Bill, so I guess what you are saying is, my stone building placement isn't exactly in a dynamite location.
Well then, I guess it's back to the planning department for me.

Greg

Greg if you are concerned about what Bill stated, here is a dynamite structure. You could build a roof like this igloo, using brick sheet and forming the top. Just an idea for you.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  1:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Jerry & Louis, for your posts and interest in my build!

Louis, that is a very cool looking dynamite bunker indeed!
I think I can address Bill's concern about my structures design & placement without to much trouble, but thanks for the pics, and for your ideas.

Greg

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Looks like you're having a blast figuring this out. Remember, like Pete said - "Rule One Governs" :)

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  6:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm kind of partial to these two.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/16/2017 6:38:39 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2017 :  9:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, those 2 dynamite sheds that you posted are indeed interesting to look at.
I think they would both be instantly turned into wood splinter dispensers, if the dynamite they are housing ever went off inside them!
Thanks for sharing the photos with us, Frank.

Greg

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: Fine Art Techniques - Pastels & Inks with Underpai Topic Next Topic: More New Stuff on the F&SM  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000