Railroad Line Forums - Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: LED Light testing How-to & Homemade testers Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing
Page: of 30

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  12:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

I confess, I had four Banana muffins.

Greg

BURP!!!!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  1:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not Wolferman, I bet. Those Wolferman's are BIG boys. Hayek sized. Excuse me, I think I will have a blueberry now.
ed

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  3:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The blueberries are on the dining room table next to the carrots and dip.

Greg,
Feels like George is right next to you giving you step by step tutelage on building this awesome structure.

Nice detailed pics as well. Thanx Thom...

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  8:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Greg. Just following along quietly until now. The color of your trestle bents is spot on. I'll have to remember your little jig pieces next time I build something like this, usually I just pin the parts in but this method will provide a uniform height much easier.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  07:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got to hand it to you, Greg, this build project has your fingerprints all over it, or at least the Saman rosewood stain does.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  7:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah < I see. The old Samon rosewood trick. I like that.
ed

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  9:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice tutoring and pics Greg'..I get good results with Valejo Concrete, and Model Master Aged Concrete paints. I'v tried many varieties and find theses 2 are the most realistic for cement/concrete. I like the Salmon Rose wood effect'. Nice trick'..

Ted

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  8:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

quote:
Originally posted by LynnB

Wow Greg that is a great idea. I recieved my I'm Dunn kit and was tempted to start it but I want to finish the Bar Mills Dock House at Cundy Harbor kit I've been puttering along at first. I'll follow along with your build and learn from you first.GRIN

Lynn, thanks very much!
You had me all excited about having a build buddy!
Then you dashed it with your Bar Mills Dock House.
Why aren't you doing a build on that?
Okay I will pave the road too I.M.DUNN for you, sit back and enjoy!

Greg

It's not really the modeling time of year yet for me, I've been tinkering with the bar mills build since June or so trying to find time and just hasn't been happening, thus no build thread. Your I'm Dunn build is inspiring me to sit at the modeling table, keep up the most excellent work.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  09:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Four muffins! Lots of modeling needed to be done to burn all those calories#128512;
Love the texture on the bents.

Håkan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  11:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, sorry it's taken me awhile to respond to your posts.
I've been up north closing up our cottage for the winter ahead.

Jerry, that was funny!

Ed, you have as many Blueberries as you would like.

Thom, that's one of the great things about George's kits, his instructions are so well written that it makes it feel like he's right there with you giving you a helping hand.

Glen, that little jig trick really helps you to produce consistent height for your bents.

Bill, I now wear latex gloves to keep my finger prints from incriminating me in any crimes against my modelling.

Ted, I haven't tried any of those concrete colours that you have suggested.
I will look them up, next time I'm at the hobby store.

Lynn, no problem. I am glad that this build is inspiring you to return to your model work.

Håkan, they were tiny muffins, I couldn't help myself!

I hope to present a build update later on today.

Thanks again everyone!

Greg

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  11:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I sure hope so Greg, I need an excuse to be on-line more....

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  12:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, if you have an opportunity to do additional concrete, I'd be very interested in seeing your coloring work over a sanded Gesso base. The Gesso will impart a bit of texture to the concrete which, in my experience, has provided just a bit more of a matte finish to the completed/dry coloring. I'd like to know if this is just my experience/imagination or if others, such as yourself, are obtaining the same subtle effects. I'd also be interested in your application and techniques to see if you have any different ideas or methodologies. BTW, I picked up on the sanded Gesso idea from Karl O.

Looking forward to the next installment.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  3:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

I sure hope so Greg, I need an excuse to be on-line more....

Carl, I will continue with my build right after I answer Kris's question.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  3:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Greg, if you have an opportunity to do additional concrete, I'd be very interested in seeing your coloring work over a sanded Gesso base. The Gesso will impart a bit of texture to the concrete which, in my experience, has provided just a bit more of a matte finish to the completed/dry coloring. I'd like to know if this is just my experience/imagination or if others, such as yourself, are obtaining the same subtle effects. I'd also be interested in your application and techniques to see if you have any different ideas or methodologies. BTW, I picked up on the sanded Gesso idea from Karl O.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Kris, I have never tried this method of using a sanded base coat of gesso before.
However I would be interested in seeing what you or Karl have done using this method.
And the results of this method.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  3:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well it's time I got back to my fun with documenting my build of this kit.
I start with the painting of my retaining walls.
Since I don't have Floquil paints to use anymore, I find myself having to discover new replacement paints to achieve colours that I use to use all of the time.
So I used Model Master spray paint "Light Sea Gray" FS 36307 for my concrete colour on my retaining walls.

And after they had a chance to dry, I gave them a few washes of India ink & alcohol. (Sellios sauce)

I will weather these retaining walls a bit more further into this build, but for now this is the start of that process.

Next I turned my attention back to the trestle bents, and the nut/bolt/washers NBW's plastic details that come in this kit.

For my bents I used the following methods to install this detail.
Each bent has 6 NBW's used on one side of these bents
I used a no.60 drill bit to drill 4 holes into my bents, not drilling out holes at the end of each diagonal brace due to possible splitting of the ends.
I also inserted the drill bit back into the pin vice so I could drill consistent depth holes into my bents.

The 2 NBW's used at either end of the diagonal braces I cut off flush behind the washer, no stem sticking out and glued these onto my bents.

The other 4 NBW's I left a bit of a stem on them to fit into the holes I drilled for them.
This is how my 5 trestle bents looked when finished.

Once you have finished doing all the NBW's on one side of these bents, you need to flip them over and do the same thing on the reverse side of these bents.

That's it for now.

Greg

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: LED Light testing How-to & Homemade testers Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000