Railroad Line Forums - Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 43 ]  [ Total: 43 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: LED Light testing How-to & Homemade testers Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing
Page: of 30

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  11:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm gettin' hungry!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  09:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let the show begin.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  12:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool organizer'..and sure is cost effective'.. Thanks Greg', for another great
very practical project'...

Ted

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  7:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Greg/ I think that the described holder is an excellent suggestion. The holder is easy to make no matter what the viewers modeling skill, the desktop space footprint is easy to modify to fit the space and project needs, can be used for styrene, wire and wood, so is very versatile. I'm sure that this introduction to the construction thread is just the beginning of modeling ideas/tips/techniques which you will be presenting. I'm really pleased to see your suggestion as I believe that it will impact more modelers than the 'custom wood' holder would.

Kris, your words are always so kind and thoughtful, thank you my friend!
And your very own build threads are as equally full of many modeling ideas/tips/techniques/new materials, I am grateful that you share them with us here.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  7:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LynnB

Wow Greg that is a great idea. I recieved my I'm Dunn kit and was tempted to start it but I want to finish the Bar Mills Dock House at Cundy Harbor kit I've been puttering along at first. I'll follow along with your build and learn from you first.GRIN

Lynn, thanks very much!
You had me all excited about having a build buddy!
Then you dashed it with your Bar Mills Dock House.
Why aren't you doing a build on that?
Okay I will pave the road too I.M.DUNN for you, sit back and enjoy!

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  8:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thom, Frank & Ted, thanks for your posts.

Thom, I'm guessing you only eat when I'm posting updates? You are in charge of the snacks here, you can nibble whenever you want.

Frank, I thought I had begun. Okay I will begin again just for you.

Ted, glad to be of service!

Hi everyone else, well it's time for another update, or I'm just starting if your name is Frank Palmer.

Retaining walls, is the first thing I'm dealing with tonight.
There are 3 retaining wall sections in this kit.
One side of the wall section has been milled to represent the form imprint left on concrete walls.

You need to further notch out the 2 end walls to clear the track stringers that will eventually be installed there.
You can see the 2 pieces that I cut away in them below.

If you are building this kit per instructions, you also need to cut a corner out of one of the end walls.
Shown below.

Since I am changing things with my layout of this kit, I didn't cut that corner piece off, I cut the whole bit extending past that part.

I'm not going to have the roadway come in that way with my version of this kit.

I then primed these 3 retaining walls, and the 4 stone building castings with the same Krylon Khaki paint.

We interrupt this build because my wife just made some Banana muffins(I can smell them from here on the computer) and I'm going to eat one or three while they are still warm.
I will continue this when I'm finished my freshly bake Banana muffins, sorry I can't share those with you.

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  8:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

You don't want to pass up a good banana muffin or two or three.

What do you think of the Krylon Khaki? I've always found getting a good concrete look difficult and am curious how you and Mr. Sellios are able to do it.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  8:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We now return you to your regular programing.

Boy were those ever good muffins!
Now where was I... oh ya trestle bents were next.
You will need four pieces of .020 x 3/32" and six pieces of 1/8" square strip wood.
George's instructions tell us to weather the wood using 36 grit sandpaper.
I did not have any of that particular grit, so I just used the old razor saw blade to add some graining to my wood.
Just drag the razor while pushing down gently from one end to the other.

This is what you will make the wood look like after using the razor saw method.

to build the trestle bents, George has included a template in which to build them on.

But first we need to cut the pieces needed according to George's instruction sheet.
Each bent will use 8 separate pieces of wood to construct.
And then they will all be stained to represent creosote.
George suggest using a water based rust colour "Raw Sienna" available in a tube from Basics. And his black India ink & 70% rubbing alcohol mixture(A.I. mixture) or what I have called it affectionately Sellios sauce.
I decided not to use George's method to weather my wood to look like creosote, but instead use what I have before with great results.
Dario LeDonne from Rail Scale Miniatures taught me this one from my Dome Oil & Gas build.
You will need some "Samon" water based wood stain Rosewood 122 as the first base colour.

This is how my trestle bent pieces looked after staining them with the "Samon" rosewood.

When that all dry you then give it a wash with "Vallejo" 70.862 Black Grey.
You don't want to water it down to much, just enough that the paint still sticks to the walls of your mixing cup.

Posting this now to allow for editing.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  9:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Greg,

You don't want to pass up a good banana muffin or two or three.

What do you think of the Krylon Khaki? I've always found getting a good concrete look difficult and am curious how you and Mr. Sellios are able to do it.

Mike

Mike, sorry I could not share those with you all.
The Krylon Khaki is just used as a base coat/primer. According to the instructions George still had some Floquil Aged concrete that he used for the final colouring of these retaining wall sections.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  9:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is how my trestle bent pieces looked after the Black Grey wash was brushed on.

Now that I have the trestle pieces cut and all stained it's time to assemble them.
This is how I went about that,
With the 1/8" square wood that was left over after I cut all of the pieces for the 5 trestle bents needed.
I glued one small piece to the top of my trestle bent template, and one piece to the bottom.

And then I placed the top & the bottom pieces of the bent into place, no glue just sitting there.

I then glued the 2 upright pieces in between the top of this bent, and the bottom of this bent.
I use a damp with water small paint brush to wipe away any excess glue that squirts out between glue joints.

I then glue in the 2 angled bent pieces of this bent.

I then added the .020 x 3/32" diagonal braces on top.

After this had some time to dry I carefully pried it from the template, and added the other diagonal brace to the other side.

And then repeat this process until you have all 5 trestle bents built.

That's all for now.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  12:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the bents good coloring.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  08:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  09:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, walls and bents are a good place to start.

PS, I didn't see any muffins!

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/04/2017 09:10:30 AM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  09:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Looking good! Are you going to use Floquil Aged concrete for the retaining walls?
Did you really stop at three banana muffins?
Dave

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  10:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your interest & for your posts guys!

Dave, I don't have any Floquils Aged Concrete left.
I will try and use a colour & brand that is still readily available.
I confess, I had four Banana muffins.

Greg

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: LED Light testing How-to & Homemade testers Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000