Railroad Line Forums - Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: LED Light testing How-to & Homemade testers Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing
Page: of 30

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  10:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree on the LEDs. I just checked back on my strings and I find that I had made TONS of
structures using GOW bulbs and was very happy with them. Then, near the end of 2014 I first
used LEDs for my Airplane Cafe, really liked using them, and have used nothing else since.
When I made Dunakin Pianos I wanted to use it as a block with the candy shop and the
grocery store so I redid the lighting in those two buildings using LEDs. As it turned out they
were easy to convert but I would not want to go back and change all my structures to LEDs.
Some would be impossible the way they were built in.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Edited by - sgtbob on 09/30/2017 10:47:49 AM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  10:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by halrey

Greg,

Looking forward your build.
Hal

Mike, we better be careful or they might start calling us kit rebels.

Hal, thanks for posting the photo of this very fine kit installed on George's beautiful layout.
Interesting how the road goes up a hill and then back down the hill and into the scene.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  10:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

I agree on the LEDs. I just checked back on my strings and I find that I had made TONS of
structures using GOW bulbs and was very happy with them. Then, near the end of 2014 I first
used LEDs for my Airplane Cafe, really liked using them, and have used nothing else since.
When I made Dunakin Pianos I wanted to use it as a block with the candy shop and the
grocery store so I redid the lighting in those two buildings using LEDs. As it turned out they
were easy to convert but I would not want to go back and change all my structures to LEDs.
Some would be impossible the way they were built in.

Bob

Bob, I know you have seen the LED light!
Thanks for your insights!

Greg

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  11:20:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a great scene that Hal posted for sure. However, I can't see how George can find anymore room on that layout of his for any more structures and scenes.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  12:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Mike, we better be careful or they might start calling us kit rebels.

Greg,

As Thomas Jefferson wrote: "a little rebellion now and then is a good thing."

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  12:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,
Here is a pic of a customer of mine who we discussed back n forth on how to best place I.M. Dunn on his flat section on his layout in Australia. (Franklin, Hamilton & Essex railroad).

FH&E is a fictitious interchange that connect with the Saranac Branch of the New York Central. The Branch is actually what David is "modelling".

I don't believe he is a member of this forum, but I know he lurks from time to time.

If you have any questions for him. I'm sure he'd join to answer any. Thanx Thom...David tells me he's been adding more finish details and will send more pics in the future.

You'll notice in the photo several changes to the overall placement of the support buildings and the reverse placement of the crane.

This allows the workers to unload from the inside of the car to the ground due to not enough clearance for a slide platform.

We talked about a conveyor type unloading as well but this was the easiest and quickest to build for him.

I think he did an awesome job for such major changes to a limited space on his layout. Thanx Thom...

Edited by - tct855 on 09/30/2017 5:20:24 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  12:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thom, thanks for posting your friends version of this kit.
I love it when builders do something different from the original design/layout.
So good for him, for making it look unique!

Greg

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  1:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice adaption.
ed

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  2:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! Well I went too the hardware store looking for spray paint that the instructions called for.
Either Rust-Oleum's camouflage paint called Khaki No. 1917 or Krylon's Khaki No. 4291 and Krylon's Sand No. 4295
Could not find the Rust-Oleum Khaki colour, but I did find a Krylon Satin Khaki No. 42438.
So I bought that one instead.
I will need to visit a larger hardware store to view hopefully a larger assortment of spray paint colours.

The first thing George and his instructions tell us to do is prime the castings.
We start this process by cleaning off any sprues, flash or imperfections.
Here is a closer look at the castings/less the stonewalls that come in this kit.

I have always loved the beautifully detailed castings that come with every FSM kit.
They are little treasures, and one of my favorite things that you find in George's kits.
These castings come crisp & fairly clean out of the box they come in.
So you don't really have to do to much in the way of removing excess flash or sprues, but the odd one will be found here & there.
I use a couple of small files to clean up parting lines mostly on round objects like oil drums an such.

Here is one of the worst castings that I found, that needed to be cleaned with a file.

And how it looked after the filing had finished on it.

It's taking the time on these little things that really give you a better than average model!

After cleaning up the castings, I placed them in a old pie box so I would not lose any of them.
The instructions tell us to prime them using the Khaki paint I purchased today.
I don't normally prime my castings anymore, I just paint them with the finished colours.
I will however follow the instructions and paint my castings this time.
It's important to paint in a well ventilated space, or even better outside.
You don't want to obscure any of your castings details so a few lighter coats, are better than one heavy coating.

To be continued...

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 09/30/2017 7:49:23 PM

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  5:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I've been put in charge of snacks etc. I ordered a few pizzas for everyone.

We have pepperoni, 3 cheese & meat lovers. Feel free to have a slice.

Who's minding the bar? I see OJ, cokes, garnish, the hard shhtuff and beer, but no ice? Thanx Thom...

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  5:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thom, can we get some pizzas topped with George's delicious castings?
Thanks for looking after the snacks!

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 09/30/2017 5:30:18 PM

halrey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  7:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple more shots, another angle...

Hal

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  7:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, The idea of "satin khaki" sounds like an oxymoron, but in your capable hands it'll look slick for sure. I'll watch even if the snacks run out.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  7:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hal, these additional photos of George's modelled scene of this kit are a real bonus to this build thread.
Thanks, for taking the time to post them!

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  8:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Greg, The idea of "satin khaki" sounds like an oxymoron, but in your capable hands it'll look slick for sure. I'll watch even if the snacks run out.

Bill, the treats will never end, when you are around my friend.
If I told you I was now wearing my satin khakis, how does that make it sound now?

Greg

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: LED Light testing How-to & Homemade testers Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000