Railroad Line Forums - Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Larenas Railroad Hotel Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing
Page: of 30

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  6:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like that sheet of shingles, and how they turned out.

Just wonder if George cuts them himself-or he sub-contracts that out?

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  7:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave it a look. I'm impressed!

Great work Greg.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  9:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Pete said'..

Ted

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  9:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! For your continued support, Pete, Carl, Jerry & Ted.

Carl, I'm not certain who makes this kit's laser cut shingles, George, or someone else contracted out to do so.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 12/01/2017 9:40:30 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  07:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like I.M. Dunn might be open and supplying fuel by Christmas. Nice progress, Greg!

Edited by - Bill Gill on 12/02/2017 07:59:21 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  09:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

I like the consistency of stain and weathering you use throughout. And it is appropriate for a coal dealer.

By my reckoning you are starting on the last building. Excitement mounts.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  10:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the black shingle roof. Perfect for a grimy coal yard!
Dave

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  1:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Pete on the tutorial!
You put in some outstanding ideas, and changes to the construction and placement of the structures. Great looking all around diorama as you progress, fantastic build Greg!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  5:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, Mike, Dave & Louis, thanks very much guys for your great comments!

Bill, that is indeed my goal, to finish this before Christmas.

Mike, glad to read that you think the wood colouring looks good throughout, and what you would expect to find at a coal dealer.

Dave, glad you think the black chalks worked on my scale house.

Louis, I'm glad I still have something to teach here, though I'm finding it harder to do after so many builds that I've done here.

Thanks again guys!

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  4:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well I just finished building the last structure in this kit.
And I built it as per instructions, well almost, I added a window and moved a man door to the rear wall.
I start with this card stock front wall, shown below.

I carefully cut this front wall out so that I could use the remaining boarder around this wall again when it comes to adding the battens used on this wall.

The instructions tell us to paint this front wall grimy black, which hides the batten marking places marked on this wall.
So this is why we still need this front wall's remaining boarder card stock to aid with batten placement.

The other 3 walls of this structure are wooden clapboard.
You can see the window in one of the end walls that I added in.
I also measured and lightly marked with a pencil my 2 scale foot stud spacing.
Those faint pencil lines will help me keep my nail holes straight when using my pounce wheel to add those nail holes.

The instructions tell us to use the fig.14 card as a guide for interior bracing and other details that will be added to this shed.

Posting this now to allow for editing.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  5:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following the Fig.14 guide lines I began by adding the 3/64" sq. wood lining the inside door openings.

After I had those all in place I put this front wall back in the card stock space that it was cut out of, and started to apply the .020 x3/64" battens.

After I had those all in place I added the 1/8" sq. interior bracing to all of the walls.

I realized after I took the photo above that I forgot to add the 1/8" sq. bracing to the rear wall of this shed.
So here is how that wall should with the bracing added.

I also added to the front wall the 3/64" sq. wood on each end. My pencil tip is pointing to that in the photo shown below.

The rear corners use a slightly smaller corner piece 1/16" sq. wood instead of the 3/64" sq. wood.
I then painted my 3 wooden walls to match with my scale house paint scheme.

I was now ready to glue my 4 walls together.

I then added all of the details to the front wall following what Fig.14 shows us.

I then turned my attention to the roof and rolled roofing used on this particular shed.
Once again a card stock roof is supplied with some paper that you will cut into strips for rolled roofing shown below.

I painted the reverse side of the rolled roofing flat black, that way we can still use the printed lines on this paper as a guide when cutting it into strips.

I applied the rolled roofing on the card stock before gluing the roof onto this shed.
After I was finished applying the rolled roofing I glued the roof onto the shed.
And then cut out the 34 .020 x 1/16" rafter tails on the template provided on the card stock from where the roof panels came from.

And with that step completed that now finishes this last structure in this build.

I will now start to work on the lighting that I've been planning to add, and finish off the scenery work that I still need to do.
And get all of those wonderful Sellios castings all glued down to complete this diorama.

Thanks for having a look!

Greg

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  5:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Greg. Keep inspiring.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  5:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
That scene is really coming together!
Cheers,
Dave

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  5:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Excellent work Greg. Keep inspiring.

Thanks, Karl.

One other thing that I forgot to mention, that I did to the large open shed that I built earlier.
I used some tea bags to make up some canvas tarps that I hung on the back wall of that shed to add a little more interest to it.

Greg

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  5:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Greg.

finish this before Christmas
I was a bit apprehensive about that, but if the buildings are complete, you should have NO problem.

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Larenas Railroad Hotel Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000