Railroad Line Forums - Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: LED Light testing How-to & Homemade testers Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing
Page: of 30

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  3:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't scratch building fun!! Your doing a fine job there young man!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  3:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Isn't scratch building fun!! Your doing a fine job there young man!

Thanks! Jerry.

Yes scratch building is a lot of fun, but I wouldn't necessarily call what I'm doing here scratch building. More like rehashing things a little. We have the term kitbash perhaps what I'm doing could be called "Kithashing"

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 11/27/2017 3:46:26 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  4:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The scale scale guy was a nice touch. George and his cardboard buildings, I guess theyíre cheap to produce.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  4:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Looking real good. I like that interior you are making. Each piece you add adds life to the whole diorama.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  4:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, this discussion is getting heavy, but like Bill, I'll weigh in with some weighty praise for the efforts of the Master in tribute to The Master.

Nicely done, Greg!

Pete
in Michigan

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  5:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress you are making Greg. I had an uncle that was a building inspector for NY City. He could be/and was a tough customer. A stickler for correct codes. So I feel your pain LOL'. At least Carl is easy going'''... Great job as always'..

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  5:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, I can hardly tare my eyes away from your scale house, itís so packed with details.

- Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  7:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Bob, Pete, Ted And Mike, Thanks for your posts!

Frank, if the card stock works, why use another more expensive material.

Bob, I'm glad to hear from you! When your not posting here on the forum I start to worry about you and your wife. I hope you 2 enjoyed your Thanksgiving gathering there.

Pete, I don't think of myself as a master modeller, but thanks anyway.

Ted, I like to think that building codes help keep our built world, a safer one.

Mike, I think once I have the lighting done those interior details will shine even brighter!

Thanks again guys!
Greg

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  9:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Your Track side detail with the scale is pretty cool! I've seen one of those kits before, but it never dawned on me till now to want one. Great find.
The carded interior is similar to what I do when I don't use any kit. When scratchbuilding, I use chip board to cover the inside instead of using large strip wood. The chip board also keeps wood from warping. Great idea to hide your wires. I will have to tuck that away for future use.
Looking great so far. Keep up the good work.
Rich

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  10:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Greg,

Your Track side detail with the scale is pretty cool! I've seen one of those kits before, but it never dawned on me till now to want one. Great find.
The carded interior is similar to what I do when I don't use any kit. When scratchbuilding, I use chip board to cover the inside instead of using large strip wood. The chip board also keeps wood from warping. Great idea to hide your wires. I will have to tuck that away for future use.
Looking great so far. Keep up the good work.
Rich

Rich, thanks for your nice comments!
Those Woodland scenic mini scenes were great little detail sets, I still have a few of them waiting to be used.

Greg

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  11:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg:

Looks wonderful so far. I'm liking all the changes you are making. Keep up the great work.

Karl S.

wrongsideofthetracks
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  11:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit wrongsideofthetracks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great work Greg. Looking forward to what new kits you bring out in the future. Next year maybe?

http://apachemodelworks.blogspot.ca
British Columbia, Canada

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  1:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic work Greg!
Many of your ideas will be borrowed for years to come. Thanks for sharing!
Dave

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  5:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your posts, Karl, Karl & Dave.

Karl S, I wish you would post some pics of your version of I.M.Dunn's here so we can see what you have done.

Karl, yes 2018 will hopefully be the year that I launch a first kit.

Dave, I'm glad you are enjoying my build, just like I enjoy watching your builds.

Hi everyone, it's time for another update!
First off, I have painted all of the castings that I will use with my version of Dunn's.
I give them a few washes with A&I when I'm done painting them, that stuff settles into all of the nooks & crannies and also helps in making them weathered looking.

I also worked on the roofing for my scale house.
Once again the kit provides everything that you need to do this.
Laser cut shingles and the card stock template shown below.

I weathered my shingles with black chalk, making certain that I had a piece of plastic under the shingles to catch the chalk that gets through the openings.

You start with a blank starter strip, and then apply right over that starter strip the first row of shingles.
Making certain to keep your shingle strips following the lines provided on the card stock roofing panel.

Once you have finished one side turn it around and start the other side.

I thought my shingles looked a little lighter than I wanted so I gave them another brush of chalk.
And then picked the odd shingle up using the point of an Xacto knife, to represent shingles that are lifting.
This is how it all came out looking.

I have not made the ridge cap for this roof yet, because I want to add a rooftop sign on it with lights.
I decided to do all the lighting at one time, when I have all of the structures completed.

I also built the scale platform using the card stock template as a guide once again.
Gluing the deck boards right onto this template.

Once you have all of the boards glued down, you frame this platform with 1/16" sq. wood with mitred corners.
I also added wear on the deck boards to represent traffic wear & tare over them.

I wanted this scale to sit more even with the diorama surface, so I carefully scribed around the outside edges of the scale with a sharp new razor, and then carefully chiseled some of the plywood out.

I then glued my scale platform into this shallow depression.

In these last photos you might have noticed the card stock in the scale house ceiling.
I glued a piece of scribed wood to the underside of this cardstock, this will act as a ceiling and give me something to attach my lighting for the interior to.

So this is how the entire scene is now looking.
I have just one more structure to build.
I have it's roof panel laying on the base where it will eventually be located.

That's it for now, thanks for having a look!

Greg

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  5:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Greg, and a good SBS tutorial in the bargain! Thanks.

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: LED Light testing How-to & Homemade testers Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000