Railroad Line Forums - Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fine Art Techniques - Pastels & Inks with Underpai Topic Next Topic: More New Stuff on the F&SM
Page: of 28

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  2:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

Looking fabulous Greg. I'm enjoying this build.

Bob

Thanks, Bob!
I'm glad you are enjoying this build!

Greg

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  2:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work Greg. Open shed is typical "George" with "right sized" timbers.

And I have also pulled that mistake of the "wrong template" in the past!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  3:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Nice work Greg. Open shed is typical "George" with "right sized" timbers.

And I have also pulled that mistake of the "wrong template" in the past!

Thanks! Carl.
I should have known that I was making a mistake when that first roof did not fit.
Silly old me.

Greg

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  3:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good. Yep... I'm still lurking...

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  3:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Looking good. Yep... I'm still lurking...

Thanks very much, Kris!
Looking forward to your return to your work in progress!

Greg

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  5:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Nice progress even with the small anomaly on the roof. Being the excellent modeler you are, you fixed it before finding the mistake and kept moving forward. Nice shed there.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  6:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
I'm lurking again here too. Your build is taking shape at a quick pace. I like the look you have created with rearranging the kit specs. On a side note, I don't see anything wrong with your pictures! LOL grin!
Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  9:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

I donít know how many times Iíve made a mistake following directions and thought the other person was in error. Seems human nature to forge ahead and not stop and think ďwait a minute.Ē

Iím not surprised you cannot identify a purpose for the shed. When I first saw ads for the kit this large shed was a big mystery in my mind. Your rearrangement of the roof etc make a lot of sense. I am curious what know kind of function you will give this structure.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  10:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Greg!
That's looking great. I wouldn't worry about the mistakes, it happens in 1:1 as well.

Jeff

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  11:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Bill, Rich, Mike and Jeff, for your continued interest and posts.

Bill, I think I was a desperate modeller trying to find a solution to a problem that I caused.

Rich, you should see the process that I go through on Photoshop to try and make my pics look better than they did originally.

Mike, the signs that come with this kit mention oil being sold, so I guess I will use this shed to store oil drums in the upper part.
And since I made the bottom part more accessible than the original design, I will use one bay as a parking space for a pick-up truck.
And the other lower area for a workspace.

Jeff, what me worry?

Hi everyone, well today I finish off the ramp railings and supports.
You just follow the template once again found in figure 9 of the instruction card.
You will need to locate and stain some 3/64" sq. wood for the upright support posts, and some .020 x 3/64" wood for the handrails.
You will need to build 2 sets over the template one left side and one for the right side of this ramp.

Once I had built the first set and carefully removed it from the template, I built the right hand side of the railing.
I then left this right side on the template and then glued my previously finished ramp right on to the support and railing assembly, using a square to ensure that it sat at 90 degrees to the support/railing assembly.

I then glued the left hand support/railing assembly to the left side of the ramp.
Using 3 squares this time to make certain that the bottoms of support legs were all in the same position as the right support legs were.

Once that was given a chance for the glue to cure I flipped this whole ramp assembly over and attached 3 pieces of 3/64" sq. x 1-1/8" long cross supports shown below.

I was now ready to see how my completed ramp looked next to the open shed.

That's it for now, thanks for having a look!

Greg

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  2:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
All those pieces sure look challenging but they're coming together perfectly in your capable hands.
Beautiful work!
Dave

Edited by - Guff on 11/21/2017 2:27:23 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  2:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, thanks very much!
It's my squares, and not my hands that are responsible for managing those tiny bits of wood into conforming shapes.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  3:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since this build is a tribute to George Sellios, and his wonderful kit contributions to our hobby, I thought I would re-post this article that was written about George and his Fine Scale Miniatures business, and just recently posted by forum member Bob Boudreau.
It's taken from a 1977 issue of Railroad modeler, and I found it to be quite interesting.

Enjoy it if you haven't already.

http://sites.google.com/site/bbphotog

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 11/21/2017 3:15:16 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  8:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Near the end of the article George regrets not having time to build a model railroad himself. Obviously he found time eventually.

His high standards come through loud and clear in the write-up.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  9:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time and talent. And very well respected.
ed

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: Fine Art Techniques - Pastels & Inks with Underpai Topic Next Topic: More New Stuff on the F&SM  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000