Railroad Line Forums - Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Larenas Railroad Hotel Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing
Page: of 30

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  08:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob & Bill, for your posts and comments.

Bob, I've got to start shooting some pics of the messy sidelines.
Your just seeing the small clean area in the center of my hurricane.

Bill, I'm dreading the white stuff, just as much as Pete is.

Greg

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  09:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It takes a lot of time to take photos and upload them to the forum. I thank you for showing each step of the build so clearly. It's appreciated...

Bob

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  11:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Greg

Just getting caught up here. Love how it has progressed so far. Your and Carl`s step by step builds are the best in the business.

Keep it up, we all learning lots.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  12:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for the Christmas lights to show up. Looking great Greg.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  3:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Bob, Wes & Kris, for your posts and for your interest in this build.

Bob, yes it does take a lot of extra time to photograph each step, and then post it on the forum.
Strangely I seem to enjoy it!

Wes, always nice to have you following along!
Even better to have you enjoying what Carl & I do here.

Kris, I will get to those lights, they might not be Christmas lights though.

Thanks again guys!

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  5:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Trestles are so interesting because everything shows. No sloppy work permitted. Yours is particularly nice both in color and construction.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  6:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

This build thread was just the thing I needed on a day like today - current events troublesome, sick as a dog, trying to get back to the routine after vacation when Halloween shows up...but I can make a cup of coffee and relax with a terrific thread like this. Thanks for sharing your creativity and craftsmanship.

Galen

Galen
My blog: Gallimore Railroading http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  11:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike & Galen, for your interest and for your kind words about my work here.

Hi everyone, well today I tackle the trestle catwalk.
You begin this by locating five pieces of .020 x 3/32" wood and I stained mine using the Hunterline Driftwood stain.

These pieces will be used for the boards that you walked on.
The instructions tell us to measure about 3/16" in from the 2-1/4" long ties on our trestle.
I made a pencil mark on each of my 2-1/4" inch ties.

I used this pencil mark as a guide for placement of my first row of catwalk planks.

I then glued the next rows of catwalk leaving a slight gap between each row of planking.
I also added using a pushpin small nail
heads with some rust coloured paint at the joints of each catwalk plank.

To complete this catwalk we now need to build the railing that runs along the entire length of this catwalk.
You will need to locate and stain one piece of 1/32" sq. and 4 pieces of .020 x 3/64" wood.
I stained mine again using the driftwood stain.

You begin by cutting 7 little tiny 1/8" long pieces from the 1/32" square wood.
These will get glued near to the end of the 2-1/4" inch ties, about 1/32" in from the end of these longer ties.
I used a piece of 3/32" tie wood to act as a guide for cutting these tiny pieces.

Once I had all 7 of these tiny pieces glued down I could now start the upright posts used for the railing.
You need to cut 7 pieces 7/16" long, and glue these uprights down next to those little supports that we just finished gluing down.

Next the handrails are very delicate job so exercise a lot of patience in installing them.
You use the .020 x 3/64" for this purpose.
I glued the middle railing in first, and then the top rail last.
I found it difficult to do this and photograph it at the same time, so I gave up photo taking and concentrated on doing this task instead.
This is how it all came out looking.

Once I had the railing all in place I made up the ladder out of the remaining material used on the railing.
George supplies a template to build the ladder over.

I took a trip to my not so local hobby store yesterday to pick up some supplies.
I found these products offered by Scenic Express and I thought that I could use them for my sand pile needs.

So I shaped some Styrofoam to fit into my storage bins and glued those into place.

I then spread some white glue over the foam and carefully sprinkled these 2 types of sand over the foam forms.

I also found from Scenic Express this egg coal product.
That I will use for the coal that will eventually be laying around this business.

I then glued down my sand storage bin, and added some other sand that I use in and around my dynamite storage building.

That's it for now, thanks for looking!

Greg

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  1:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, nice progress, I'm liking it. The blast containment device looks like it will work.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  1:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Greg, nice progress, I'm liking it. The blast containment device looks like it will work.

Yep. Blew the roof straight up!

Nicely done Greg, and some great finds in the bargain! Thanks!

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  2:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done Greg.
I think I may have tried to build that delicate railing on the bench first, or... maybe not.

And the prices on those Scenic Express bottles is the "Canada" effect... correct?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  2:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Frank, Pete & Carl, is always a blast to hear from you guys!

Carl, it's a sad state of affairs when your U.S. dollar is worth more than our diminished Canadian loonie.
And as a result of that, it ends up costing your poor Canadian friends in the north a bit more to enjoy our hobbies here.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  4:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg

Wow that handrail is perfect excellent job.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  6:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice workmanship.
We have our own sad state of affairs.
ed

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  8:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Jerry & Ed, for your interest and your posts.

Jerry, glad you think my railings are perfect, because the guy who built them certainly isn't.

Ed, the good old U.S.A. has certainly been through a lot of difficult times lately, lets hope that things can only get better!

Greg

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: Larenas Railroad Hotel Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.37 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000