Railroad Line Forums - Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Fine Scale Miniatures, the I.M.DUNN Co.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: LED Light testing How-to & Homemade testers Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing
Page: of 30

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  1:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Beautiful work as always! Bravo!

Questions, if I may...: The "new" arrangement shown awhile back in Frank's "Punkin Chunkin' Contest" setup has sheds all around the perimeter. How does Dunn get his trucks into the yard? I can see loading dymanite a stick or two at a time, but lumber, coal and such would appear to require quantity. What am I missing here?

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  2:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete, thanks for your comments & question.

Here is a photo showing how the entrance works for my setup.
The scale on the right with the larger truck sitting on the weigh scale would be used for outgoing traffic.
Where the smaller truck on the left is now sitting would be the entrance if not using the scale.
So you would not have to drive on the scale if you were coming into the place, or if leaving without a load to weigh.

With this whole scene eventually fronting onto a city street.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  2:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

Looking terrific Greg. My wife bought me this kit for this coming Christmas. I was at home when it arrived so I'll have to act really surprised when it's opened on Christmas day.
I really enjoying your build. Your comments, as well as the others on the forum, will help when I build this next year...

Thanks,
Bob

Hey Bob, thanks very much!
It is my hope & wish, that this build will assist anyone building this kit.
Even if I'm not exactly following George's instructions to the letter.

Greg

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  3:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Ahh, Yes!" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw....

And with that cleared, up, I'll mention that I see only three bays available off that trestle in the back....

And with that said, I think I'll go back under my rock now....

I still like the workmanship!

Pete
in Michigan

CarterM999
Section Hand

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  4:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg. I don't reply/interject too often on post, I watch and learn. Question about the dynamite building I assume it is not originally part of the kit? Also could it be used for something else, i.e. root cellar, an abandoned powder cellar? I like the location. Some small thoughts. Carter

ďIn seeking wisdom thou art wise; in imagining that thou hast attained it, thou art a fool".

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  5:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

"Ahh, Yes!" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw....

And with that cleared, up, I'll mention that I see only three bays available off that trestle in the back....

And with that said, I think I'll go back under my rock now....

I still like the workmanship!

Pete
in Michigan

Pete, you need not go back under any rock, my friend from Michigan.
Always feel free to say what you are thinking, or ways you could improve things.
I have no problems with any of that, especially if it makes things better than they were!
The signs that are included in this kit state that I.M.DUNN Company are purveyors of coal, oil, sand, and dynamite, only.
No lumber or building supplies whatsoever are mentioned.
So with my new 3 bin bunker blocker and those 3 spaces under the trestle, I will now have more storage capacity than George's original kit design offered.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  5:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CarterM999

Hi Greg. I don't reply/interject too often on post, I watch and learn. Question about the dynamite building I assume it is not originally part of the kit? Also could it be used for something else, i.e. root cellar, an abandoned powder cellar? I like the location. Some small thoughts. Carter

Hi Carter, thanks for your reply, I hope you will continue to do so, now that you've broken the ice.
The stone building is part of this kit, and according to George was once used for dynamite storage.
I took it upon myself to change it's roof line twice now, and try to give it a safer looking location in my scene.
Though that turned out to be an explosive decision, which meant building my bunker blocking storage bins.
To try and further protect my LP's from being blown to plastic bits in the event of an accident.
So that's my story, on this little stone building that came with my kit.
I hope to see you interjecting here again in the future.

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  5:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Your concrete coal yard looks very realistic. I assumed you'd be painting the concrete, but you don't. Unless I missed something.

The arrangement makes a lot of sense to me now that it's progressed more.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  6:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike, thanks for your nice comments, and for your question.
No painting just the A&I washes is all I used.
I imagine further weathering will be done using chalks/pastels to give me a more dirty look around where the coal will be stored.

Greg

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  7:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a photo showing how the entrance works for my setup. The scale on the right with the larger truck sitting on the weigh scale would be used for outgoing traffic. Where the smaller truck on the left is now sitting would be the entrance if not using the scale. So you would not have to drive on the scale if you were coming into the place, or if leaving without a load to weigh.

Sorry Greg but thatís not how it works. Trucks that are purchasing product are weighed empty on the way in and weighed loaded on the way out. The difference in weight is the net weight of the product. Otherwise how would they know how much to charge you?

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/24/2017 7:17:41 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  7:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, fantastic looking concrete surface. I like how that came out, your expansion joint lines and your cracks really bring out the look on this project.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  8:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Here is a photo showing how the entrance works for my setup. The scale on the right with the larger truck sitting on the weigh scale would be used for outgoing traffic. Where the smaller truck on the left is now sitting would be the entrance if not using the scale. So you would not have to drive on the scale if you were coming into the place, or if leaving without a load to weigh.

Sorry Greg but thatís not how it works. Trucks that are purchasing product are weighed empty on the way in and weighed loaded on the way out. The difference in weight is the net weight of the product. Otherwise how would they know how much to charge you?

Frank, trust me I know how it works.
I must go to our local landfill site 2 or 3 times a month.
I get weighed going in with a load garbage, I get weighed going out with a empty truck.
The difference in weight is what I pay in landfill fees.
I was just trying to give Pete, a thumbnail sketch of the ins & outs of this place.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  8:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Greg, fantastic looking concrete surface. I like how that came out, your expansion joint lines and your cracks really bring out the look on this project.

Thanks, Louis!
I'm glad at least one of my jobs was cracked up, to what it is supposed to be.

Greg

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  8:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Frank, trust me I know how it works.
I must go to our local landfill site 2 or 3 times a month.
I get weighed going in with a load garbage, I get weighed going out with a empty truck.
The difference in weight is what I pay in landfill fees.
I was just trying to give Pete, a thumbnail sketch of the ins & outs of this place.

Greg

And I appreciate that, Kind Sir! But yes, I have to go with Frank on the weigh-in, weigh out. And if it's out, be sure not to have the guy in the truck on the way-in weigh, and out of the truck on the way-out weigh!

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  8:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weigh in, weigh out, this is getting "way" too heavy for me!

Page: of 30 Previous Topic: LED Light testing How-to & Homemade testers Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line Closing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000